The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Skyy9432
The sciences save the world, the arts make it worth saving.

Sure though, let's do it. Let's abolish pointless degrees. Remove all subjects and only let people study physics and maths. That's what it all comes down to in the end. That's all life is, why let people waste their life studying biology when it all comes down to chemistry, which itself works according to physics?

As a chemistry student although chemistry, physics and ultimately mathematics) underpin biology, biological phenomena are very complex and completely separate disciplines are needed to study them. We all owe a lot to physiologists, molecular biologists, pharmacologists etc and without them many of us or our loved ones not live such long lives, or live at all.
Reply 61
Original post by KingStannis
"Biostudent". I take it you're studying biology? Are you taking out your frustration that the other STEM students don't take your subject seriously on the arts students?

Actually you will find most of us STEM students stick together, although yes there is a bit of playful banter between myself as a chemistry student and some of the maths students for example. Science is multidisciplinary and it takes people from many different fields with different skill sets to make advancements. For example the field of medicine uses biochemists, nanotechnologists, medical engineers, cancer biologists, materials scientists, toxiocologists, medical physicists etc. the list is endless to make advancements. As a physical scientist I appreciate biological scientists it's a very noble and respectful path to go down and I look forward to working with them one day :P
Original post by BioStudentx
English is pointless. Take the Shakespeare bull**** out of the curriculum and just teach students how to argue, persuade and write. We don't need to analyse how red curtains foreshadow the death of his mum or some BS like that. And yes we would have lawyers, because students are graduating from Oxbridge every year. And yes, doing a STEM subject at Oxbridge does make you superior to doing a English degree at Manchester.

It appears you don't know the difference between English Literature and English Language (which does teach students how to argue, persuade and much more).

If you don't know this very basic distinction, it's quite obvious you don't know what most degrees even entail to say whether they are useful or not. If you had paid attention during your English classes or took a subject like History, you would know how to present a convincing and balanced argument. As it stands your apparent lack of sound judgement leaves a lot to be desired.
Waaaaaaa how dare you have different life choices to me
Waaaaaaaa how dare you not be the most intellectual person ever
WAAAAAAAAAAA how dare you have interests outside STEM

Waa Waa Waa!!!!!

God you're actually a really bad troll.
You know what OP I'll give you a special treat and give you a genuine answer- the problem is schools put too much pressure on everyone to go uni. At my school everyone was pushed into applying even though they ended up doing degrees they don't give a toss about. Of course English seems pointless; it's the go to for the people who don't know what to bloody take (as well as the ones who actually are passionate about English anyway).
Reply 65
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.

How are: Psychology, Economics, English and Geography pointless?

You include these and leave out some actual pointless degrees like: Fashion, American Studies, Golf management etc.
Original post by jazjaz
Actually you will find most of us STEM students stick together, although yes there is a bit of playful banter between myself as a chemistry student and some of the maths students for example. Science is multidisciplinary and it takes people from many different fields with different skill sets to make advancements. For example the field of medicine uses biochemists, nanotechnologists, medical engineers, cancer biologists, materials scientists, toxiocologists, medical physicists etc. the list is endless to make advancements. As a physical scientist I appreciate biological scientists it's a very noble and respectful path to go down and I look forward to working with them one day :P

i've seen physics students look down on biology.
Original post by yt7777
How are: Psychology, Economics, English and Geography pointless?

You include these and leave out some actual pointless degrees like: Fashion, American Studies, Golf management etc.

Fashion is vocational and isn't actually pointless if that's what you want to do. People who have studied it mostly end up in fashion-related careers. Don't confuse not respecting a certain career path with being 'pointless'.
Reply 68
Original post by Placement_stud
Fashion is vocational and isn't actually pointless if that's what you want to do. People who have studied it mostly end up in fashion-related careers. Don't confuse not respecting a certain career path with being 'pointless'.

Fair enough, I was in two minds when writing this post but I was trying to focus on how the OP referred to the subjects that I mentioned (Psychology, English, Economics and Geography) and as pointless
Original post by yt7777
Fair enough, I was in two minds when writing this post but I was trying to focus on how the OP referred to the subjects that I mentioned (Psychology, English, Economics and Geography) and as pointless

Well I mostly agreed with your point in any case. These degrees aren't useless if students have a real purpose in mind when selecting the subject and are focusing their learning on gaining particular knowledge or skills. The reason why people think Psychology is useless is because a lot of students taking it don't actually want to pursue it as a career path then try and meander their way into something completely irrelevant, thus decreasing their chances of graduate employment. Conversely students who take Economics for the most part have particular careers in mind for which the subject is beneficial hence you'll see a greater proportion of successful Economic students, other factors aside.

In essence it's not your degree, it's what you do with it.
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.

Wtf?
Yeah because STEM subjects are the only subjects worth studying at uni :rolleyes:

Any evidence for this? The numbers I've seen indicate as many fashion grads end up doing retail/catering/bar work as doing arts-related jobs.
Reply 73

So what you're saying is you think you're better than these people basically? Fix your ego, you're no better than anyone else.
The country would be full of elitist ***** if you TSR people (OP and certain others) had your way. These threads are so pathetic.
Original post by TurboCretin
Any evidence for this? The numbers I've seen indicate as many fashion grads end up doing retail/catering/bar work as doing arts-related jobs.

What numbers are these?

'Fashion' is quite broad a term so opportunities vary according to what kind of job one is referring to. But it is seldom a fashion grad can't find a job of any sort in the industry unless they decide that's not what they want to do or fixation on one career path. It may just mean that someone who studied for design ends up in PR instead.
Original post by Tronick
The government could limit the places on these courses like they do for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"POINTLESS"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree they could be seen as pointless however the issue is, in the society we live in now, you need a degree for any job relating to these subjects you have mentioned. So the actual problem is, people shouldn't need degrees in the subjects to get a job in them. If you target that issue, then you would reduce the number of "pointless" degrees being taken. Do you see what I mean?
lol economics is one of the best degrees out there.

So you're saying only vocational subjects are worth having? Many academic subjects have transferable degrees that can open plenty of doors in lots of different industries.

Latest

Trending

Trending