The Student Room Group

How do I get B or at least a C in AS Chem? :(

I'm doing AS chem, bio and ICT. My exams are late this March, but I need I'm struggling with chemistry. It's really difficult, I can understand the theory but the exam questions are so confusing.. and a quite a few of the topics, like organic chem and energetics. I'm doing well in bio and ICT, but chem not so much..
I could really do with some advice, I have tuition as well, so I'd rather not let all that work go to waste.
(edited 9 years ago)
What board?
Reply 2
Original post by Gott
So am I with Chem :frown: It is the hardest A level I'd say

Well that's what everyone tells me.
Eh, I'd say physics and maths are. I had to drop phys--
Reply 3
Original post by roberts12344
What board?

Edexcel
Original post by Bruticus
Edexcel

PAST PAPER AWAY!!! Seriously if you understand it then just do as many past papers as you can! There are only so many question s they can ask you!
I'm doing AS chem, bio and ICT. My exams are late this March, but I need I'm struggling with chemistry. It's really difficult, I can understand the theory but the exam questions are so confusing.. and a quite a few of the topics, like organic chem and energetics. I'm doing well in bio and ICT, but chem not so much..
I could really do with some advice, I have tuition as well, so I'd rather not let all that work go to waste.

Work your ass off.
I got an E in my mock and I got an A in the real thing. Just keep practicing questions. Find a way to derive answers you don't always remember etcetc
Reply 6
Original post by roberts12344
PAST PAPER AWAY!!! Seriously if you understand it then just do as many past papers as you can! There are only so many question s they can ask you!

X3 sounds like a good idea, thanks! ^^
Reply 7
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Work your ass off.
I got an E in my mock and I got an A in the real thing. Just keep practicing questions. Find a way to derive answers you don't always remember etcetc

Wow .o.
I got an E in my mock too, so I guess it's not too late for a B
I understand your pain :frown: Personally for organic chem I am making sure I learn all the mechanisms to the point that I can recite them in my sleep and then I am going to apply them to as many different hydrocarbons,haloalkanes,alcohols etc. This will help when trying to classify the reactions. Also make sure you have got a strong grip on drawing and naming the molecules, you don't want to lose unnecessary marks just because you put a 2 in the wrong place. After knowing reaction mechanisms and what they form just plough through organic chem past papers questions and DO NOT EVER LOOK AT THE MARK SCHEME UNTILL YOU ARE 110% SURE THAT YOU CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION ANY BETTER. You are only cheating yourself if you do, if you do the question wrong I 100% guarantee you will remember the correct answer.
Hmm
Chemistry comes down to memorising definitions, understand reaction mechanisms and then memorising formulae and properties and trends of groups or periods. After that, it's just past papers.
I got A*AAB in A levels (in history, english language, politics and philosophy)
know what I got in chem in my first year (I did 3 years)? an E. chemistry is hard. "****ing" hard.
Wow .o.
I got an E in my mock too, so I guess it's not too late for a B

It isn't. Just keep practicing. Learn the basis of the content first, then practice. Mechanisms are the way the truth and the life, you need to be able to do them blindfolded.learn the main products of the big equations/reactions. It will help :smile: YouTube videos are great too
Revise like crazy.

If you go on youtube and type in tywin lannister chemistry, he got me through the year after teaching myself pretty much everything.
This man literally got me a B.
Original post by Hannah_HMJ
Revise like crazy.If you go on youtube and type in tywin lannister chemistry, he got me through the year after teaching myself pretty much everything. This man literally got me a B.

Oh thanks for that, I have never heard of him before! I thought you were joking and talking about game of thrones lol
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Oh thanks for that, I have never heard of him before! I thought you were joking and talking about game of thrones lol

oh how I wish chemistry was as fun as game of thrones

Quick Reply

Latest