The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
In my sixth form, the qualifications we were encouraged to take were based on our gcse results. People with good gcse results were encouraged to take a levels, and those with not so good results were encouraged to take BTECs. For this reason I feel that BTECs in general are for less able students, but I do understand this isn't always the case. Also BTECs are much easier and it's unfair that three distinctions is considered the same as three As
You're never going to get into Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or UCL with BTECs. That's why they're ****.
True!
Original post by Astronomical
You're never going to get into Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or UCL with BTECs. That's why they're ****.

All those universities accept BTECs for certain courses....

and theyre not ****,those are arguably the best unis in the country, BTEC will get you into 95% of uk universities, thats an actual statistic and does that mean that you think that people who dont go to one of those uni's are "****" even if they did A levels?

EDIT: Apart from imperial
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
All those universities accept BTECs for certain courses....

Lol not proper courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol not proper courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL:
- Applied Medical Science: DDD
- Physics (any in dept.): DDD
- Mechanical Engineering: D*D*D*
- Biochemical Engineering: DDD
- Biomedical Engineering: DDD
- Information Management: DDD
- Medical Physics: DDD
- and more...

Oxford:
- Fine Art: DDD (BTEC Art & Design)
- Computer Science DDD + A* (BTEC IT + A level Maths)
- PPE: Not sure what BTEC but I heard someone got an offer of D*DD

Cambridge:
- General Engineering (I think...)

LSE:
- Any course + one A level
Original post by lisamb
Well it's not impossible to become a doctor from a BTEC a student my lecturer had actually went on to do a biomedical degree and then started medicine. It depends on the person, and most people don't come out of A-Levels and become doctors either.
Are you a medical student then?

Fair enough. It would be a difficult route though. Not heard of many BTEC's going into medicine.
Yea I'm in my third year.
Original post by yt7777
UCL:
- Applied Medical Science: DDD
- Physics (any in dept.): DDD
- Mechanical Engineering: D*D*D*
- Biochemical Engineering: DDD
- Biomedical Engineering: DDD
- Information Management: DDD
- Medical Physics: DDD
- and more...

Oxford:
- Fine Art: DDD (BTEC Art & Design)
- Computer Science DDD + A* (BTEC IT + A level Maths)
- PPE: Not sure what BTEC but I heard someone got an offer of D*DD

Cambridge:
- General Engineering (I think...)

LSE:
- Any course + one A level

Lol General engineering at cambridge with btec. You wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gott
Explain (or don't ****ing post)

Why should i when it is obvious what i am talking about.

You are just playing hard to get.
Original post by Gott
It's only obvious that you're talking out your arse

And I don't swing that way

Oh really? No i don't think so.
Lol General engineering at cambridge with btec. You wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge - Engineering Dept.

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/requirements.html

[h="4"]"All Colleges, except Trinity, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, e.g. a BTEC Higher National Diploma, in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principal Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics. The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering is a suitable alternative to A Level Mathematics for these purposes."[/h]
Original post by Gott
Oh yes, I think so

Whatever...
Reply 212
Lol not proper courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what's a "proper" course then?
Original post by Gott
Lol

You are just playing hard to get because(pinch, punch) it is the first day of the month.
Reply 214
Original post by scrunkie
A-Levels are HARDER than Btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that I hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to Btec students with DDD and A-Level students with AAA. As if a Distinction is equivalent to an A in A-Level. An A is so much harder to obtain than Distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** Btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same University. What utter nonsense.

I agree completely with this guy...

You do realise you are overreacting and being immature.

I wonder if you act like this in real life? :s-smilie:

I don't know you but from your post i would like to tell you one thing; you need to grow up and learn some manners.
Original post by Gott
I can't take your posts seriously so of course I'm going to take the piss

Tbh this is a lame excuse and you know it.
Original post by Gott
Your posts are persistently groundless, as is this one. You just like playing devil's advocate it seems

No, other people have agreed with my post so what are you trying to say? they are the devils advocate too?

You must be soo ignorant and arrogant.

I hope you don't die in your arrogance.
Original post by yt7777

Cambridge - Engineering Dept.

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/requirements.html

[h="4"]"All Colleges, except Trinity, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, e.g. a BTEC Higher National Diploma, in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principal Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics. The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering is a suitable alternative to A Level Mathematics for these purposes."[/h]

I am trolling btw. If someone gets into Cambridge with BTEC well done to them they obviously deserve it! Seriously if someone gets into top unis with BTECs well done to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do A-Levels and I think Btec's are harder.

Quick Reply