The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Disney0702
Hi there!

I'm an A2 AQA Chemistry student and I personally found the best way for me to revise during AS was to tackle all the past paper questions.

This not only helped strengthen my understanding on topics I found difficult but it also helped me understand the language of the exam. I have found sometimes that the way AQA phrase their questions just puts me on the spot and makes me question as to whether I was taught that topic.

Well as usual, yes I was taught that topic, it's just some of their questions prompts you to think outside the box from time to time and I had to learn how to do that when given an unexpected question.

I also used my CGP AQA AS Chemistry Student book to help me and it was amazing, I totally recommend all students to get it.

CGP Student book

Sample Pages

does anyone happen to have WJEC revision notes they'd be so kind as to share as i have no idea where to start and my teacher isnt the best! PLEASE HELP
Can someone help me with question 4g. Thanks :smile:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM1-QP-JAN13.PDF
Original post by Super199
Can someone help me with question 4g. Thanks :smile:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM1-QP-JAN13.PDF

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be put off by the structure.
First the question hints it's an isomer of an alkane.
Remember the general formula for alkanes is CNH2N+2,there are five carbons so you plug five in and you get the molecular formula C5H12. Remember, the number of carbons determine how you name it,so five carbons means it's pentane.
The structure is pentane.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be put off by the structure.
First the question hints it's an isomer of an alkane.
Remember the general formula for alkanes is CNH2N+2,there are five carbons so you plug five in and you get the molecular formula C5H12. Remember, the number of carbons determine how you name it,so five carbons means it's pentane.
The structure is pentane.

Yeah sorry I got that bit. Is the next one something to do with the surface area and the number of van der waals being less? Care to explain that question.
Yeah sorry I got that bit. Is the next one something to do with the surface area and the number of van der waals being less? Care to explain that question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes,since the isomer is branched,it has less surface contact area(or you can call it points of contact) than the straight chained isomer,so less Van der Waal forces are formed.

Since the branched isomer has less Van der Waal forces,it take less energy to overcome the Van der Waal forces so it's boiling point is lower.
Hope that helps 😃.
Want to get involved in this tread. Taking OCR as chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Branched alkanes have fewer points of contact between molecules this leads to fewer van der Waals' forces between the molecules. Also, the molecules can't get as close to each other and so this decreases the intermolecular forces between the molecules.
can any one post any useful resources or notes they have for OCR saltars B chemistry.
thank you v much...:smile:
Original post by S.Ahmad
Branched alkanes have fewer points of contact between molecules this leads to fewer van der Waals' forces between the molecules. Also, the molecules can't get as close to each other and so this decreases the intermolecular forces between the molecules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone have any good revision material for Mass spectroscopy and infrared spectroscopy?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone have any good revision material for Mass spectroscopy and infrared spectroscopy?

I have some stuff from last year but i'm not sure how to upload it because its hand written.
I hate these drawing questions :frown: http://gyazo.com/347ea8636b70bd8cd64df98ea70316c6 What do I draw??
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have handwritten notes which I'll upload shortly.

Original post by BBeyond
I hate these drawing questions :frown: http://gyazo.com/347ea8636b70bd8cd64df98ea70316c6 What do I draw??

Okay, first of all you need to recognise the type of reaction: this is the formation of a salt as implied by the H+ reacting with a metal: Acid + Metal -> Salt + H2. Whenever it mentions collecting gas you want to draw a displacement of water apparatus (conical flask with acid, with a bung attached to the delivery tube which is connected to an upright graduated cylinder full of water which is in a water bowl, or similar apparatus but instead the delivery tube is connected to a gas syringe.

Apparatus 1) The water displaced is the volume of Hydrogen gas produced.
Apparatus 2) Read off the gas syringe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BBeyond

u r right, they r hard nd confusingly complicated.
I did CCEA chemistry to A level, so I'm here to help ^^
Easter holidays coming up currently doing aqa as chem, wanna make a timetable to stick to, any suggestions for how i should do it + any general revision tips

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yung7up
Easter holidays coming up currently doing aqa as chem, wanna make a timetable to stick to, any suggestions for how i should do it + any general revision tips

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make a timetable and stick to it. Do plenty of past papers and get into good exam habits.
For example,say you got a question on ionisation energies across the period.
First you will highlight the command word,and see the number of marks.This will give you an idea how to answer the question.
You would write out beside the questions the keywords atomic radius,number of protons, nuclear attraction and electron shielding. As you answer the question you will tick off the words to make sure you havent left any of the key factors out.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Make a timetable and stick to it. Do plenty of past papers and get into good exam habits.
For example,say you got a question on ionisation energies across the period.
First you will highlight the command word,and see the number of marks.This will give you an idea how to answer the question.
You would write out beside the questions the keywords atomic radius,number of protons, nuclear attraction and electron shielding. As you answer the question you will tick off the words to make sure you havent left any of the key factors out.

Yh thats exactly what im doing except mentally lol im fairly confident with unit 1 so ill be focusing on unit 2 mainly but thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit of halides help required. This topic is a bit of a ****.

Right so the reaction with sodium iodide and and sulphuric acid.

Is it NaI(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO2(s) + HI(g)

Is this an acid-base reaction.

Is the redox reaction:

2HI + H2SO4 -- > I2 + SO2 +2H20?

I don't get the next step what happens after. Something about it reacting with SO2?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

How would I name this?

3-ethylpentan-3-ol
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest