The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, that's a terrible idea. The best way to learn a language is the process of immersion i.e. surrounding yourself with native speakers using the language in a everyday way.

Yeah, but you should at least learn a chunk of it. Rather than look like a buffoon cause you don't understand they're saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
:yep: same for workers in any country IMO, ever worker should know the native language - makes things easier

It isn't really necessary for English-speakers (especially if the country's in Europe), considering how many there are in foreign countries.

white girls smh
Original post by StrangeBanana
It isn't really necessary for English-speakers (especially if the country's in Europe), considering how many there are in foreign countries.

But it would be respectful in that case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, but you should at least learn a chunk of it. Rather than look like a buffoon cause you don't understand they're saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's a dumb authoritarian idea. Also quite funny that we British people would be so keen to force people to learn English or another language when we are the worst country in Europe for being monolingual.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, it's a dumb authoritarian idea. Also quite funny that we British people would be so keen to force people to learn English or another language when we are the worst country in Europe for being monolingual.

I think thats an individual thing, and that if you have no intention to work/live in a different country you shouldn't be forced to learn another language. However I agree that if you were to live in a different country it is polite and respectful to learn the language, hence why I expect immigrants to learn English before getting a job here!
black people who hate whites are no better than those who hate them. they just add more fuel to the fire... they should really get lobotomised...
Original post by Andy98
But it would be respectful in that case.

I'm not going to learn an entire language (or even a large chunk of it) just to be respectful. Basic introductions, and the question "Do you speak English?" are enough
There should be a limit to the number of children a family can have. Not a 1-child policy like China but something reasonable.

And no I am not a 'the-world-is-overpopulated-lets-kill-ourselves' nutcase, I merely feel that it will be beneficial as it can keep some pressure off of housing, healthcare, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BasicMistake
There should be a limit to the number of children a family can have. Not a 1-child policy like China but something reasonable.

And no I am not a 'the-world-is-overpopulated-lets-kill-ourselves' nutcase, I merely feel that it will be beneficial as it can keep some pressure off of housing, healthcare, etc.

Tbh I think some people just straight up shouldn't be allowed to have kids at all, the only thing worse than an idiot is an idiot bringing and raising more idiots into the world
There are only two genders

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tronick
There are only two genders

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are up to five in some cultures.
Original post by Dinaa

white girls smh

so peng
Original post by Blazar
There are up to five in some cultures.

Then all those other cultures are wrong.

You are either male with XY chromosomes, or female with XX.

Aside from the occasional aneuploidy which results from rare miss segregation of the chromosomes during meiosis, theres no other combinations.

Theres two genders.
Most controversial view : I dislike groups of people, and have no problems in telling them that

I dislike misandristic feminists. (And the white knights associated with them)
I dislike judgemental vegetarians.
I dislike vegans full stop. (I've never met a non preachy vegan. They don't exist)
I dislike muslims who justify murder and terrorism by claiming they were offended by a cartoon, as if that gives muslims a right to go off and butcher whoever they damn well please.
I dislike people who argue halal meat isn't cruel.
I dislike left wing do gooders who are always jumping on the latest trend of becoming offended for some minority.
I dislike homophobes.

And most fundamentally, I dislike people who dislike me for failing to accept other peoples values because they're politically correct.
Original post by King Boo

Aside from the occasional aneuploidy which results from rare miss segregation of the chromosomes during meiosis, theres no other combinations.

Theres two genders.

It's funny because that's a gross oversimplification of chromosomes. Most people don't even know what their own chromosomes are because they haven't been tested. I think you might be equating gender with biological sex here, but even so my point still stands.
Only the smartest, healthiest, strongest, nicest (best qualities etc.) should be allowed to have children, for the next century or so. The earth can't cope with current population, better in the long run for humanity
I believe there is one religious group who pretends to be a race evendors though they are from aroi
Original post by Blazar
It's funny because that's a gross oversimplification of chromosomes. Most people don't even know what their own chromosomes are because they haven't been tested. I think you might be equating gender with biological sex here, but even so my point still stands.

I've actually spent a whole year of my degree studying genetics and genomics, but decided to not launch into a degree level analysis of the genetics of gender. But please, if you feel the need to correct what i've written, do go ahead!

Regardless, no matter how you want to dress up my gross over simplification, there are two biological sexes. One is pre determined by inheriting two X chromosomes, the other, by inheriting and X and a Y.

So really, its not a gross over simplification is it? Whilst I agree I couldn't give you the genetic map of my autosomal chromosomes, I could pretty easily tell you with quite certainty, that because I have a fully formed penis, and testes, I have inherited and X and a Y.
Original post by King Boo

Theres two genders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest