The Student Room Group

Don't vote Conservative ... We've came to far as human beings.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
They're only excluded because the tories decide to exclude them. That would be like me saying i'm the fastest runner in the world if you 'exclude' everyone faster.
The list is:

China
Nigeria
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Saudi Arabia
SOUTH KOREA
HUNGARY
POLAND
NORWAY

ALL GROWING FASTER THAN THE UK.
So to say our economy is the 'fastest growing in the world' is factually wrong and merely tory propaganda.

Fastest growing G7 economy.

Which to be fair, is like the least ugly pug competition, but we're so much better off than 5 years ago, only someone who is completely delusional would deny this.
Original post by billyfisher100

Which to be fair, is like the least ugly pug competition, but we're so much better off than 5 years ago, only someone who is completely delusional would deny this.

So why not say G7? We've gone down from 'fastest in the world' to 'fastest in the G7'. To say we're the fastest in the world is simply lying. To say we're the fastest in the developed world, is also lying.
Stop manipulating statistics.
So why not say G7? We've gone down from 'fastest in the world' to 'fastest in the G7'. To say we're the fastest in the world is simply lying. To say we're the fastest in the developed world, is also lying.
Stop manipulating statistics.

Saying fastest in the world is misquoting, can't blame the party for somebody getting the rhetoric wrong
Original post by Jammy Duel
Saying fastest in the world is misquoting, can't blame the party for somebody getting the rhetoric wrong

Except you can actually.
A quick search would show we're not the fastest in the world or even the 'developed world'.
Yes the growth figures may be impressive but that certainly doesn't mean you can outright lie about them which he as well as Tory MPs have been doing.
Except you can actually.
A quick search would show we're not the fastest in the world or even the 'developed world'.
Yes the growth figures may be impressive but that certainly doesn't mean you can outright lie about them which he as well as Tory MPs have been doing.

Except the rhetoric is vaguely defined and when you look at it what "developed western economy" means becomes pretty obvious, as said above, G7. That makes it true. As said, if one imbecile online says "world" then it is hardly the fault of the party, anybody with a brain knows that "world" is false given that for China weak growth is single digit.
Except the rhetoric is vaguely defined and when you look at it what "developed western economy" means becomes pretty obvious, as said above, G7. That makes it true. As said, if one imbecile online says "world" then it is hardly the fault of the party, anybody with a brain knows that "world" is false given that for China weak growth is single digit.

Oh so now we've gone from 'fastest economy in the world' to 'fastest in the 'developed world' to 'fastest in the developed WESTERN world'? What next? Fastest in the developed western world who's capital city begins with the letter 'L'?
Norway surely counts as a western economy? They're higher than ours for a start.
Osbourne actually said 'faster than any advanced economy'. That's just not true. He's manipulated it so much.
The UK does not have the fastest growing economy and to say we do is just a lie.
A bit like they're lie on Labour charging working families £3000 extra, made by plucking a figure out of thin air, which even the IFS called BS on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by billyfisher100

The economy is better off. Generally individual people aren't better off. There's an important difference. Productivity growth is decreasing, real wages are down by around £1600, more people are using food banks despite being in work, more people are on zero-hours contracts, the recovery has been the slowest post-recession recovery in a century, salaries have risen more slowly than price inflation, and growth is still nowhere near pre-2008 levels.

You may argue that 'these things take time', and that seven years after the recession we can still be expected to feel the ill effects.

But I suspect that our economy would have grown post-recession because...well, we were in a recession, and I don't think recognizing that an at best partial and at worst patently false picture has been painted regarding the economy constitutes being delusional.
Oh so now we've gone from 'fastest economy in the world' to 'fastest in the 'developed world' to 'fastest in the developed WESTERN world'? What next? Fastest in the developed western world who's capital city begins with the letter 'L'?

Again, your attack of the rheotoric isn't attacking the rhetoric itself, it's attacking a line that was never given by the party, I'm sure I can find plenty of examples of you misquoting Labour lines

Norway surely counts as a western economy? They're higher than ours for a start.

Pray tell when Norway became part of the G7

Osbourne actually said 'faster than any advanced economy'. That's just not true. He's manipulated it so much.
The UK does not have the fastest growing economy and to say we do is just a lie.

And then you come to the question, how are we to define "advanced economy", if what he said were a written contract you would have that fine print at the bottom defining "advanced economy" to mean G7. Remind me which countries the UK is stacked up against.
G7 make up 64% of the world's wealth, the only spanner in the works of making it THE 7 wealthiest is China.

A bit like they're lie on Labour charging working families £3000 extra, made by plucking a figure out of thin air, which even the IFS called BS on.

Not an entirely true statement to make.

What happened to ZHCs, you seem to be ignoring them now.
Original post by Captain Haddock
All that started to happen after they abandoned their austerity plans. What economists are saying is that the austerity measures of 2010-12 delayed our recovery and caused our economy to slump again. It wasn't until the Tories gutted their austerity plans that we started to recover. Austerity delayed the recovery by 2-3 years, so why do they want to give it another try if they win a new term? Seems very irresponsible.

And don't forget in the 90s those same business leaders were telling us we were headed for financial ruin unless we join the Euro.

And yet we have the fastest growing economy in the develops world and have had more jobs created in the UK than the whole of Europe.
Many, many business leaders didn't want t Join the €.
Again, your attack of the rheotoric isn't attacking the rhetoric itself, it's attacking a line that was never given by the party, I'm sure I can find plenty of examples of you misquoting Labour lines

And then you come to the question, how are we to define "advanced economy", if what he said were a written contract you would have that fine print at the bottom defining "advanced economy" to mean G7. Remind me which countries the UK is stacked up against.
G7 make up 64% of the world's wealth, the only spanner in the works of making it THE 7 wealthiest is China.

Not an entirely true statement to make.

What happened to ZHCs, you seem to be ignoring them now.

So basically he gave a term and is now himself defining the term to exclude any country that's growing faster than us as 'not western'.
Again, If I exclude enough people, i'm the fastest person in the world.
It is absolutely true with the tories lies about labour's tax plans and you know it.
ZHC, should absolutely be abolished. Every single worker deserves a secure contract with regular hours and regular worker rights.
However you try and manipulate the facts, 1.4 million people are on a zhc, those 1.4 million people should all be given a proper contract.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
And yet we have the fastest growing economy in the develops world and have had more jobs created in the UK than the whole of Europe.

NO NO WE DON'T STOP LYING.
It's just not true. We do not have the 'fastest growing economy in the developed world'. South Korea for a start has a faster growing one. They're certainly in the developed world.
Stop lying.
As for job creation, that's hugely down to zhc and self-employment, hardly something to shout about.
Original post by KingMessi
The economy is better off. Generally individual people aren't better off. There's an important difference. Productivity growth is decreasing, real wages are down by around £1600, more people are using food banks despite being in work, more people are on zero-hours contracts, the recovery has been the slowest post-recession recovery in a century, salaries have risen more slowly than price inflation, and growth is still nowhere near pre-2008 levels.

You may argue that 'these things take time', and that seven years after the recession we can still be expected to feel the ill effects.

But I suspect that our economy would have grown post-recession because...well, we were in a recession, and I don't think recognizing that an at best partial and at worst patently false picture has been painted regarding the economy constitutes being delusional.

Exactly. The economy is better off, people aren't as you say.
That's because the tories views success as rich people in London making more money, I view it as the poor getting richer. The poor certainly have not got richer and if they're so impressed with the economy growing, I challenge them to go down to soup kitchens and foodbanks or people on the street and tell them that the economy is growing. See how much difference it makes to their lives.

The tories judge life on a piece of paper, they don't care about the reality of the situation, as long as the figures look good.

How is this a response to what I said? You just repeated the same things you said before.
NO NO WE DON'T STOP LYING.
It's just not true. We do not have the 'fastest growing economy in the developed world'. South Korea for a start has a faster growing one. They're certainly in the developed world.
Stop lying.
As for job creation, that's hugely down to zhc and self-employment, hardly something to shout about.

Er.

We do.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4339611.ece

You need to stop reading the guardians opinion pieces on the economy. Are they still going on about a triple and double dip recession?

p.s.

south Korea isn't a g10 nation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Er.

We do.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4339611.ece

You need to stop reading the guardians opinion pieces on the economy. Are they still going on about a triple and double dip recession?

p.s.

south Korea isn't a g10 nation.

No, no we don't. You're lying. It's not from the guardian.
South Korea is a developed country. Norway is a European developed country and is growing faster.
Stop making stuff up. We're not the fastest in the world as you claimed. We're not even the fastest 'developed' economy. We may be the fastest in the G7 but that's not what you claimed.
Stop moving the goalposts.
You need to pay to access that link...

Norway is a developed country. Norway's economy is growing faster than ours. South Korea is a developed country, south Korea's economy s growing faster than ours. Ireland is a developed country. Ireland's economy is growing faster than ours. Wish the tory boys would stop lying and claiming 'we're the fastest growing economy in the world'. It's just factually incorrect.

The IMF defined these all as 'developed countries'. Hardly a looney lefty organization either.
Stop lying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Norway is a developed country. Norway's economy is growing faster than ours. South Korea is a developed country, south Korea's economy s growing faster than ours. Ireland is a developed country. Ireland's economy is growing faster than ours. Wish the tory boys would stop lying and claiming 'we're the fastest growing economy in the world'. It's just factually incorrect.

The IMF defined these all as 'developed countries'. Hardly a looney lefty organization either.
Stop lying.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't trust Labour will run our economy properly so I'm not voting for them.

There's many other reasons but that's pretty much the most fundamental.

Really? So only a country in the G7 can be classed as developed? George Osbourne said the UK has the fastest growing economy of any 'advanced' country.
Well the IMF includes Ireland, Norway and South Korea as 'advanced, developed countries'.
So he's lying as is Mature Student. It's factually incorrect. We may have the fastest in the G7 but that's not what he said. He said 'fastest advanced economy' it's plain wrong and you know it.

yet of course you refuse to criticize anything the Conservatives say or do even when they blatantly lie.
No, no we don't. You're lying. It's not from the guardian.
South Korea is a developed country. Norway is a European developed country and is growing faster.
Stop making stuff up. We're not the fastest in the world as you claimed. We're not even the fastest 'developed' economy. We may be the fastest in the G7 but that's not what you claimed.
Stop moving the goalposts.
You need to pay to access that link...

Norway has lower growth than the UK.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.KD.ZG

The OECD seems to agree with my statement as well.

http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx

If recomend you start looking at the data first and then make your decision from that.

What you're trying to do is formulate an opinion and then look for the data to back it up.

The simple fact is that the UK economy is doing great compared to its peers.

I used to be like you. I was conditioned from child hood to hate the conservatives....then I grew up and questioned my belief system.
Irrespective of what political perssuauon you are, always question what politicians say and what the media that supports those politicians are saying.
Really? So only a country in the G7 can be classed as developed? George Osbourne said the UK has the fastest growing economy of any 'advanced' country.
Well the IMF includes Ireland, Norway and South Korea as 'advanced, developed countries'.
So he's lying as is Mature Student. It's factually incorrect. We may have the fastest in the G7 but that's not what he said. He said 'fastest advanced economy' it's plain wrong and you know it.

yet of course you refuse to criticize anything the Conservatives say or do even when they blatantly lie.

Oh, I am more than willing to criticise the Conservatives, there are plenty of silly things this Government has done, some outright silly, e.g. FTPA, others that are correct in principle but poorly implemented, e.g. the "bedroom tax"

Still waiting for your comeback on the ZHCs since you're so certain they're wrong, nobody can possibly live on them and there are too many etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending