The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
Mid 2:1 crew

Congratulations on being completely average
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anybody got a story on how they ****ed up academically in first year but graduated with a 1st/2.1 success story? :puppyeyes:

Tutor says I'm just grinding out a very low 2.1, might even slip into a 2.2 at the end of first year if I carry on like this. Eyes fully opened now..

My mate had a mid 2:2 in first year, ended up with a 1st in 2nd year and a high 2:1 overall.
Original post by difeo
Congratulations on being completely average

Pls thought 2:2 is aveeage
Pls thought 2:2 is aveeage

Depends but I just looked up your course and 4% of people get a 2.1 or 1st? fuark
Original post by difeo
Depends but I just looked up your course and 4% of people get a 2.1 or 1st? fuark

Lol overall yeah. But I'm a first year noob, everyone does well then drops off after life gets hard :frown:
Original post by difeo

Lol overall yeah. But I'm a first year noob, everyone does well then drops off after life gets hard :frown:

definitely depends on course.

only a few people get 1st in my course, but most get 2.1.
so basically if you don't at least get a 2.1 in psychology, grad jobs are gonna be a nightmare since almost every other psychology grad will have a higher grade than you.

if you get a 1st in almost any course you're sitting pretty unless you interview like a retard or you're terribly unlucky with job availability and connections.
Original post by difeo

The grading for medicine and dentistry is done differently, unless something has drastically changed that I'm unaware of then FK saying he's averaging a mid 2:1 doesn't mean anything valid lol, and neither does that percentage. Usually medics/dentists are classified against their peers, rather than against a pre-determined score as is the case with normal degrees.
First year doesn't count at most places/very minimally anyway though LP?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anybody got a story on how they ****ed up academically in first year but graduated with a 1st/2.1 success story? :puppyeyes:

Tutor says I'm just grinding out a very low 2.1, might even slip into a 2.2 at the end of first year if I carry on like this. Eyes fully opened now..

Best friend didn't even pass first year and had to do resits capped at 40. 3 years later and she is about to graduate, she will easily get a 2.1 and possibly a 1st.

Your first year results mean very little tbh. Nearly everyone improves for the subsequent years as you're used to a working routine. I didn't even bother revising for my year 1 exams as they meant nothing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Best friend didn't even pass first year and had to do resits capped at 40. 3 years later and she is about to graduate, she will easily get a 2.1 and possibly a 1st.

Your first year results mean very little tbh. Nearly everyone improves for the subsequent years as you're used to a working routine. I didn't even bother revising for my year 1 exams as they meant nothing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree; first year really isn't all that much of an indicator of how well you'll do.

Generally people do tend to slip back a little due to the increased difficulty in second year along with them getting too comfortable and/or lazy after year 1.

All in all though, towards the end of year 2 people book their ideas up and usually improve :smile:
I messed up my entire degree.

Just work hard in 2nd year though. Some things come to people better than others but if you're doing the recommended amount of hours working towards a module(I was doing like a quarter of that at most throughout the entirety of my degree) then you should be fine.

Also there are modules that are easy marks(e.g. key skills etc.). Look to do well in them to provide a cushion than getting a decent mark there since that could be the different between a 2:2 and a 2:1, or a 2:1 and a 1st.

Man I absolutely bombed my degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
LMAO Tesla's ($TSLA) stock price actually moved on its april fools prank :rofl:
Original post by Lúcio

if you get a 1st in almost any course you're sitting pretty unless you interview like a retard or you're terribly unlucky with job availability and connections.

Not correct in my opinion at all, getting a first in a degree compared to a 2:1 doesn't mean you will necessarily find a job easier. You need a different skill set for interviews compared to exams and if you think it be dead easy just because you have a first, you will be surprised. All a first or 2:1 really is for most jobs is a filter and then your ability to demonstrate their key competencies is crucial and I don't believe your exam ability will directly lead to easier interview process tbh.
Original post by samiz20891
Not correct in my opinion at all, getting a first in a degree compared to a 2:1 doesn't mean you will necessarily find a job easier. You need a different skill set for interviews compared to exams and if you think it be dead easy just because you have a first, you will be surprised. All a first or 2:1 really is for most jobs is a filter and then your ability to demonstrate their key competencies is crucial and I don't believe your exam ability will directly lead to easier interview process tbh.

Maybe you're looking at different tier jobs to him, but yeah I agree with the above.
Original post by samiz20891

As G said, it obviously depends which area of study you're in, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a first than a 2.1 :tongue:

It depends whether you're looking for a grad course or looking for a masters and/or PHD.

There are a lot of factors, and although a good exam ability doesn't mean you'll be great at interviews, somebody getting a first in a degree does display certain personality traits (organisation, punctuality, etc.) with which you would expect help portray themselves well.
Interview skills are essentially based on how confident you are and thus how good you are at working under pressure.

Best thing is to find out the questions, find a way to make your voice stand out and to make your body language seem like you're interested. Find a way that makes you comfortable but doesn't scream to the interviewer 'arrogant prick.' E.g. look at the interviewer in the eyes, have a firm handshake and greet them. Remember their name so after the interview you say e.g. 'thank you John' so it's like they know you. First impression is important. Look at the interviewer in the eyes and have some pre written answers for the interview. The internet means that for a lot of interviews in blue chip companies grad schemes you'd have a giant library of information.

Take home message is to always make sure you know.

1. Why you want to join the company(learn it's history and any awards it's got over the years)
2. Why they want you to join the company(talk about yourself, big yourself up using examples of things you've done)

That's the key to getting a job from an interview.

Most of the questions are based around those two questions. Especially for Entry level roles.
I'm very bored btw. Week is really dragging on.
Reply 2537
Original post by jam277
I'm very bored btw. Week is really dragging on.

Yeah it's been a **** week, especially with the international break.

I'm gonna go gym now, you wanna fifa later on?
Original post by SA-1
Yeah it's been a **** week, especially with the international break.

I'm gonna go gym now, you wanna fifa later on?

Yeah could do.
completely re wrote my CV. polished with so much spiel I could take Elon Musk's job.

**** it. tried the humble approach, now going for the full on Kanye I AM A GOD approach.

Latest