The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Makashima
We had this whole week to start on the skeletal muscles etc
But we chose to prepare empa which is the week after the week come back
:l Like dude seriously, I want to get everything done!

We just need to cover muscle contraction, homoeostasis and feedback mechanism then everything is completed

You're a little bit behind us. We have supposedly finished everything, but I don't remember ever learning about secondary messengers or anything like that, so I have a bit to do still.

I'm not looking forward to the EMPA at all. It doesn't help that the teachers don't know what we're doing until one week before either!
Original post by Efemena15
You're a little bit behind us. We have supposedly finished everything, but I don't remember ever learning about secondary messengers or anything like that, so I have a bit to do still.

I'm not looking forward to the EMPA at all. It doesn't help that the teachers don't know what we're doing until one week before either!

Dang I wish I was at your pace
I think everything will be done by end of april, not satisfied though because that means only may left to revise. Thats not enough time :/
Dang I wish I was at your pace
I think everything will be done by end of april, not satisfied though because that means only may left to revise. Thats not enough time :/

Yeah I feel you. Just got to start trying to learn everything now tbh
Original post by Efemena15
Yeah I feel you. Just got to start trying to learn everything now tbh

Do you remember unit 4 contents rn? or you havent started revision
Do you remember unit 4 contents rn? or you havent started revision

We have only recently done photosynthesis and respiration, so that is fresh. Pretty much everything else is gone. Will hopefully have revised it all by the end of half term and then I will start papers
Has everyone done the AQA A2 ISA on respiration on mitochondria?

If so PM me
Do you think its still possible to get an A and miss out the essay question??
Original post by ~amethyst~

Some years it's been possible to miss the essay question and still get full ums lol

You would get at least 5-10 marks from the essay no matter how bad you done

isnt it like 4 marks for english communication quality thing
and then blah blah
You would get at least 5-10 marks from the essay no matter how bad you done

isnt it like 4 marks for english communication quality thing
and then blah blah

Really? I thought you still had to put down a lot to get marks....im just so scared for it like i hate essays D:

Original post by Baloney26
Some years it's been possible to miss the essay question and still get full ums lol

Full ums?! whaatt :O i hope this year it's possible to get an A without the essay
Hello everyone. I was wondering if addition to doing all the past papers, does any one also do the old spec papers ( which are very different to the current spec but has some similar questions)? I feel like doing the old spec papers too but I dunno.

How far is everyone with revision, ready for unit 4? How's unit 5 going?
Original post by rakib567
Fluorescent markers are like indicators. So once u have made target gene u can insert it into a plasmid, You can also add these marker gene which code for fluorescence. The smart thing is that the fluorescent marker will bind only if the target gene is present so the plasmids with the target gene that we want will light up under uv light. The ones that dont have the target gene wont have the marker gene so it wont light up under uv

Thanks

Yes last year A* was 67/100 so if you miss the 25 marker and get full marks in everything u can still get an A*. But why would you?:cool:
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hello everyone. I was wondering if addition to doing all the past papers, does any one also do the old spec papers ( which are very different to the current spec but has some similar questions)? I feel like doing the old spec papers too but I dunno.

old spec papers are weird, there are 8 units of which some are relevant and some are AS or unit4. i'll do the specimen paper instead.
Original post by Kira Yagami

There's a thread on student room with all of the old spec questions arranged into topic it's called something like aqa 500 past paper questions biol 5, that's really useful!
What sort of things are people looking at for outside reading for the synoptic essay? I know it shouldn't be the main focus and it's more important to master the content but I'm keen to get a few extra bits of info. I've looked at the kidneys in quite a lot of detail as you could link them with an essay that asked about structure linked to function, hormones, ions, osmosis, transport, organs etc, and I've looked at a bit of extra genetics stuff but can't think of anything else?
Original post by MollyMcFly1
What sort of things are people looking at for outside reading for the synoptic essay? I know it shouldn't be the main focus and it's more important to master the content but I'm keen to get a few extra bits of info. I've looked at the kidneys in quite a lot of detail as you could link them with an essay that asked about structure linked to function, hormones, ions, osmosis, transport, organs etc, and I've looked at a bit of extra genetics stuff but can't think of anything else?

As soon as I've finished all the content I plan on going through biological sciences reviews and just making a couple of bullet points on extra bits that link to each sentence on the spec!
Original post by Baloney26
As soon as I've finished all the content I plan on going through biological sciences reviews and just making a couple of bullet points on extra bits that link to each sentence on the spec!

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea :smile:
Hi everyone. I have noticed that the xtreme papers website does not work when I click on the 'papers' category at the top. It used to work and that was how I accessed the old Biology AQA papers.

Is this happening just for me or are other people experiencing this problem?

Any solution?

Please help, thanks. http://www.xtremepapers.com/

Do you do old spec papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending