The Student Room Group

Edexcel M4 Exam Discussion Thread [June 5th]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
You are applying to uni this year right? If so you dont need to take all those units for Cambrodge. You only need 6 this year. Or 9 if AFM which you could be doing.
Posted from TSR Mobile

well I ' am doing 12 units because I don't find them so hard and I want to finish a levels quickly, because I have to do more serious staff than this.Also,I haven't taken gcse (since I am an international student and although we have this exams ,nobody gives them because it is below the level of our studies),so i think taking 12 units would be better(i know they can't ignore the fact that I don't have gcse's , but my school grades are also good and maybe they will give me the chance ...or maybe I am too optimistic)...If you have good marks in a levels (2a*) doesn't this mean that you would also take good marks or even better in gcse (because i think gcse<gce), so is it possible to omit gcse?????
Original post by Vesniep
well I ' am doing 12 units because I don't find them so hard and I want to finish a levels quickly, because I have to do more serious staff than this.Also,I haven't taken gcse (since I am an international student and although we have this exams ,nobody gives them because it is below the level of our studies),so i think taking 12 units would be better(i know they can't ignore the fact that I don't have gcse's , but my school grades are also good and maybe they will give me the chance ...or maybe I am too optimistic)...If you have good marks in a levels (2a*) doesn't this mean that you would also take good marks or even better in gcse (because i think gcse<gce), so is it possible to omit gcse?????

Trust me when I say with personal experience. Cambridge really dont care that much about GCSE's for Maths. Although email them asking your current situation. So overall what exams are you taking this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesniep

If you werent given an oppurtunity to sit GCSE's cambridge have a thing on the SAQ for high school transcripts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I regret not taking the Maths exams earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me when I say with personal experience. Cambridge really dont care that much about GCSE's for Maths. Although email them asking your current situation. So overall what exams are you taking this year?
Posted from TSR Mobile

exams i give: c1-c4, fp1-fp3,m1-m4,s1
When I sent them an email asking for specific information they just gave me a link which had information about the mathematics course and said to me that 5 over 75 of the applicants of my country enter the university(nice to be informed this...)... in other way ''we don't really want greeks'' or ''greeks are pretty much stupid(which unfortunately it is actually true) '' . Sometimes I just don't like their snobbish attitude .
Original post by Vesniep
When I sent them an email asking for specific information they just gave me a link which had information about the mathematics course and said to me that 5 over 75 of the applicants of my country enter the university(nice to be informed this...)... in other way ''we don't really want greeks'' or ''greeks are pretty much stupid(which unfortunately it is actually true) '' . Sometimes I just don't like their snobbish attitude .

No AS physics or whatever?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No AS physics or whatever?
Posted from TSR Mobile

no...my 3 a level will be further mathematics (additional)...that's why I prefered gce and not ial
Original post by Vesniep
no...my 3 a level will be further mathematics (additional)...that's why I prefered gce and not ial

Ah its all coming together now. If u tell camvridge u did this in one year with gcse's they wikl be very inpressed given you get top marks ofcourse. Just work hard they want good mathematicians not people who just get good gcse's and marks. You will probably get interview if u get good marks after that its all how do in interview mostly, then STEP. Good luck wish you all the best with you A levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesniep

I think that they will ask for evidence of your aptitude in English.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I think that they will ask for evidence of your aptitude in English.

do you mean ielts?(because it's pretty much easy as a test and the mark needed for sciences is not that high). Or maybe I didn't understand what you are trying to say . But maths has only a 100 word vocabulary from my experience(until now at least).I know that I have probably made syntactic ,grammar and spelling mistakes,but please excuse me for that as I have 3 years to exercise my english and also ...I do maths, I maths do,Do I maths,Do maths I,Maths I do,Maths do I... are all allowed in my language (3!=6 and most of the time a sentence can be said with n! different ways) and it is a problem when it comes to english...
Original post by Vesniep
do you mean ielts?(because it's pretty much easy as a test and the mark needed for sciences is not that high). Or maybe I didn't understand what you are trying to say . But maths has only a 100 word vocabulary from my experience(until now at least).I know that I have probably made syntactic ,grammar and spelling mistakes,but please excuse me for that as I have 3 years to exercise my english and also ...I do maths, I maths do,Do I maths,Do maths I,Maths I do,Maths do I... are all allowed in my language (3!=6 and most of the time a sentence can be said with n! different ways) and it is a problem when it comes to english...

I meant either GCSE English if you have taken UK qualifications or IELTS if not.

I like the idea of saying a sentence in any of n! ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah its all coming together now. If u tell camvridge u did this in one year with gcse's they wikl be very inpressed given you get top marks ofcourse. Just work hard they want good mathematicians not people who just get good gcse's and marks. You will probably get interview if u get good marks after that its all how do in interview mostly, then STEP. Good luck wish you all the best with you A levels!
Posted from TSR Mobile

STEP is actually the easy part . I know that is weird, but if in any other gce you didn't learn one method or don't solve the exercise as they want or find wrong number because you did something wrong on your calculator you may take lose your A* ,so it depended a lot on how lucky you are in the day of exams and how much you studied. In STEP you have choice 6/13 ,you only have to answer roughly 3.5/6 correctly and the are no calculation question question ... so if you are good enough ( not perfect) you will pass them. Interview question from aptitude tests are also really intersting (step-style questions)....but no gcse's is a problem. I'm happy to listen that in cambridge gcse's don't count so much (since i don't have any) This gives me some chances. Are you stydying at Cambridge?
Original post by tiny hobbit
I meant either GCSE English if you have taken UK qualifications or IELTS if not.

What are UK qualifications ?i don't think I have taken something like this. Is this a problem for me?
Reply 33
Original post by Vesniep

It doesn't mean anything of the sort! It just indicates that Cambridge is an extremely difficult university for anyone to get into. If you have a poor attitude towards Cambridge, then you won't do yourself justice if you are interviewed.

Original post by Vesniep
What are UK qualifications ?i don't think I have taken something like this. Is this a problem for me?

UK universities have 'matriculation requirements' which are the basic minimum qualifications you need in addition to your offer. For people who study in the UK these might be something simple like having a pass in GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths. For international applicants Cambridge will certainly want proof of your competence in English, otherwise you could be left behind in lectures (University Maths is far more dependent on English than school maths!).

If you look at the Universities and HE Colleges section of TSR, there is a subforum there for Cambridge. I suggest you post a question there like "Any Current Greek students at Cambridge?" - if there are, they will be able to tell you what they had to do to meet Cambridge's entrance requirements :smile:
Original post by davros
It doesn't mean anything of the sort! It just indicates that Cambridge is an extremely difficult university for anyone to get into. If you have a poor attitude towards Cambridge, then you won't do yourself justice if you are interviewed.

I really admire Cambridge as a university and I think it offers the best education possible in the UK(maybe in the world too). You really don't know how I much I sacrificed for this dream. It has really intelligent and gifted students and academics and it is fine to set high standards but..... When I sent them an email asking for specific information they just saw that I am applying for maths and sent me a link with the quilification I should have .But I as not only asking for what they sent .'' Typical offer Alevels:A*A*A+STEP ''...in order to understand this sentence it took me 1 month and 1 week more to make the registration form for a levels . It is really difficult to do all this without any help .Excuse me for calling them snobbish, but they could offer me much more help. Fortunately I found The Student Room and a lot of people here help me with my qyeries.
Original post by davros

UK universities have 'matriculation requirements' which are the basic minimum qualifications you need in addition to your offer. For people who study in the UK these might be something simple like having a pass in GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths. For international applicants Cambridge will certainly want proof of your competence in English, otherwise you could be left behind in lectures (University Maths is far more dependent on English than school maths!).

Can I only take IELTS ?
Reply 35
Original post by Vesniep

A little contribution

Cambridge is elitist, snobbish and not transparent in their selection process, which therefore you cannot challenge. This is to allow through the back door the sons and daughters of the bankers, the MPs, the Freemasons etc

The Greeks are NOT stupid, I strongly resent that, maybe you are.
It is a racist comment

As for applying to Cambridge University if you feel they way you feel about them ( I share some of your views) do not apply there.
You probably be lectured better in a less prestigious University
Original post by TeeEm
A little contribution
The Greeks are NOT stupid, I strongly resent that, maybe you are.
It is a racist comment
As for applying to Cambridge University if you feel they way you feel about them ( I share some of your views) do not apply there.
You probably be lectured better in a less prestigious University

Well, you are right that I did a racist comment and I'm really sorry for that. But you didn't see racism in greece towards other people.If you have ever listened to gold dawn you would understand. I regret telling that because I did what I didn't want them to do to foreigners and I really feel stupid now for that.
Cambridge though is so prestigious University because it has so many things to offer to you and I want to be educated in maths in the best possible way.Universities in greece are free so I would not have any reason to apply at a less prestigious University , which will cost a lot and offer the same with a greek one
Reply 37
Original post by Vesniep
Well, you are right that I did a racist comment and I'm really sorry for that. But you didn't see racism in greece towards other people.If you have ever listened to gold dawn you would understand. I regret telling that because I did what I didn't want them to do to foreigners and I really feel stupid now for that.
Cambridge though is so prestigious University because it has so many things to offer to you and I want to be educated in maths in the best possible way.Universities in greece are free so I would not have any reason to apply at a less prestigious University , which will cost a lot and offer the same with a greek one

You got some valid points but you are also naive about some other points mainly about how the "system" works, Mathematics learning etc that would take a long time to discuss.
I hope you get into Cambridge, if that is your desire, but do not be dissappointed if you do not.

Good luck.
Original post by TeeEm
You got some valid points but you are also naive about some other points mainly about how the "system" works, Mathematics learning etc that would take a long time to discuss.I hope you get into Cambridge, if that is your desire, but do not be dissappointed if you do not.
Good luck.

I will be dissapointed , because I would have spent so much time and money in vain . I would try the next time again(because I pretty much know I will not pass, for some reason)......because otherwise I have to forget maths . In greece mathematicians are only teachers and due to financial crisis new mathematicians don't have jobs.Studying in England would cost a lot so Cambridge,Warwick and Imperial College of London are my only choices.
Original post by Vesniep
I really admire Cambridge as a university and I think it offers the best education possible in the UK(maybe in the world too). You really don't know how I much I sacrificed for this dream. It has really intelligent and gifted students and academics and it is fine to set high standards but..... When I sent them an email asking for specific information they just saw that I am applying for maths and sent me a link with the quilification I should have .But I as not only asking for what they sent .'' Typical offer Alevels:A*A*A+STEP ''...in order to understand this sentence it took me 1 month and 1 week more to make the registration form for a levels . It is really difficult to do all this without any help .Excuse me for calling them snobbish, but they could offer me much more help. Fortunately I found The Student Room and a lot of people here help me with my qyeries.
Can I only take IELTS ?

See here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/greece

and here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/entrance-requirements

Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending