The Student Room Group

how to revise for english lit???

i'm doing GCSE AQA english lit exam
first paper- woman in black and mister pip
second paper- unseen and relationships cluster...

even if your not studying the same texts... tips...tricks...anything? :biggrin:
I got an A* in this and probably my best tip is to know the literature you're studying to a t. Make sure you chase up with your teacher anything you're unsure about. Also consider very carefully any feedback you get from any work you do before the exam (mocks, homework etc) to make sure you make an improvement for your next piece of work.
Reply 2
Original post by Kayleighw27
I got an A* in this and probably my best tip is to know the literature you're studying to a t. Make sure you chase up with your teacher anything you're unsure about. Also consider very carefully any feedback you get from any work you do before the exam (mocks, homework etc) to make sure you make an improvement for your next piece of work.

that's my aim! that'll be tricky, it's difficult to slip in a piece of work for marking whilst all my teacher does is complain about the amount of marking she has left.... in terms of knowing the text, do you mean like knowing where key points in the novel are and having a vague understanding of important points? (Thanks btw)
Original post by aha1
that's my aim! that'll be tricky, it's difficult to slip in a piece of work for marking whilst all my teacher does is complain about the amount of marking she has left.... in terms of knowing the text, do you mean like knowing where key points in the novel are and having a vague understanding of important points? (Thanks btw)

Haha oh dear, I've had teachers like that too, unfortunately. At my school there was a lot of homework every week which always got marked, but if you need to, just nag until you get the help you need xD

It really depends what sort of grade you are hoping for. Ideally you should know the general plot very fluently. Try and gain a good understanding of the characters; their motives and emotions for example. An understanding of the themes running through the book also helps, as well as an awareness of the historical background. I think one of the keys to getting a good mark is detail, rather than looking at general principles. It's hard to give an example without a question/piece of text to refer to, but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
I don't know those topics your studying as I study something different, and a different exam board...

So, if you analyse the text as much as possible, you will know the extract when you see it in the exam, and will be confident. just keep going over the book.
Original post by aha1
i'm doing GCSE AQA english lit exam
first paper- woman in black and mister pip
second paper- unseen and relationships cluster...

even if your not studying the same texts... tips...tricks...anything? :biggrin:

I did eng lit at GCSE.. Now, I never read any of the books, just looked at summaries on bitesize and stuff.. skimmed page after page in the exam and wrote down a load of waffly crab. Got an A...

Moral of the story.. Chill. Read summaries.. Write waffle...
Reply 6
Haha oh dear, I've had teachers like that too, unfortunately. At my school there was a lot of homework every week which always got marked, but if you need to, just nag until you get the help you need xD

It really depends what sort of grade you are hoping for. Ideally you should know the general plot very fluently. Try and gain a good understanding of the characters; their motives and emotions for example. An understanding of the themes running through the book also helps, as well as an awareness of the historical background. I think one of the keys to getting a good mark is detail, rather than looking at general principles. It's hard to give an example without a question/piece of text to refer to, but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

thanks a lot :smile: i've got revision packs for each text so i'll have another look at those :smile:

The poem:

'The cat sat on the mat' - this represents the sadness of the author and his lack of motivation to change the world.

'The bird flew over the house' this shows how he now feels free outside of the constricts of society

This bull crap..

Quick Reply

Latest