The Student Room Group

Lib Dem or Green I'm so torn

I was set on voting green until seeing Bennett and her lack of charisma...

crucially during her opening and closing statements she was reading from a piece of paper so it was hard to connect!

Normally I would vote Lib Dem but they actively allowed themselves to be scapegoated so I don't feel I can support them

Having said that, if I could vote SNP I would, they were great tonight! But I'm just so torn!

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nick Clegg is a man of integrity who has severely damaged his reputation by putting the interests of the coalition, a practical decision based on financial decisions, above populist opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo
The Greens are nuts, so lib dems
If you vote Green you are an idiot. That's why you shouldn't.
Reply 4
I was tempted by the Greens but have since realised you're pretty much wasting your vote (and Bennet's awful). There will almost certainly be a coalition if the Lib Dems get enough votes they may be able to be the second party in it and we will avoid UKIP, the SNP etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Vote for polices, not personalities...I had a 40:40:20 split, between Labour, the Greens and the Lib Dems respectively.

I agree Bennett does not have the charisma of Caroline Lucas though...it is a pity because people will vote for charisma.

Ultimately though, while the eye on the national stage is important, with the first past the post system, you have to vote to get the best possible representative of your own interests. If that happens to be a Green MP that's cool. If it happens to be a Lib Dem or even Labour MP, sure....that would work too...

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

Regarding Clegg...I don't hate him or the Lib Dem party.

They did what they could for the nation at a difficult time, and in considering their small amount of MPs, they did well to use their influence. Thanks to the Lib Dems, most students will pay back less. Can you imagine had the Conservatives raised tuition fees, and not had the safety net of a higher repayment floor, how much most students would have to pay back?

Regarding the NHS, Clegg did what he could. Regarding Europe, he was the only MP to offer a series of debates with Farage and show him up, while expressing his party's philosphy.
If it's between them then for Ganesh sake vote Lib Dem.
Reply 7
Unfortunately it depends on your constituency. In general a vote for the Greens is a waste of time. A vote for the Lib Dems is useful if you live in a Lib Dem constituency. If you constituency is a two horse race between Labour and the Tories, presuming your progressive stance a vote for Labour would be best to keep the Tories out.

First Past The Post. The system where you don't vote for the candidate you want, but for the one who is most likely to win and you dislike less. Of course you could vote for the candidate you want, but if they don't have chance in your constituency it is a waste of time. What a system! Democracy is a farce in this country.
Reply 8
Original post by Swanbow
Unfortunately it depends on your constituency. In general a vote for the Greens is a waste of time. A vote for the Lib Dems is useful if you live in a Lib Dem constituency. If you constituency is a two horse race between Labour and the Tories, presuming your progressive stance a vote for Labour would be best to keep the Tories out.

First Past The Post. The system where you don't vote for the candidate you want, but for the one who is most likely to win and you dislike less. Of course you could vote for the candidate you want, but if they don't have chance in your constituency it is a waste of time. What a system! Democracy is a farce in this country.

Hey! Your post was really insightful!

My constituency is Newcastle Central and it's a strong Labour seat; Lib Dem always come second though - the city council is the same as well (2/3 Labour 1/3 Lib Dem)

My entire family support labour with a few idiotic UKIP supporters but I just don't know if I can vote for a party headed by Ed Miliband - Lib Dem/Green is the lesser of two evils.
Original post by JordanC55

crucially during her opening and closing statements she was reading from a piece of paper so it was hard to connect!

Normally I would vote Lib Dem but they actively allowed themselves to be scapegoated so I don't feel I can support them

Having said that, if I could vote SNP I would, they were great tonight! But I'm just so torn!

I will be voting for the Lib Dems because I think they are the only party offering a sane economic policy to repair our finances without seeking to demicate vital welfare and public services. I also think that they do not deserve the public backlash they are likely to receive, having done many excellent things in government. Their commitment to billions more funding for mental health treatment is also a worthy initiative.

Unlike the Lib Dems, the Greens do not seem to have a clue about economics. Their own leader couldn't even get her head around a single policy, that of building new homes, first admitting that she didn't know how much the policy would cost and later making the ridiculous estimation that 500,000 new homes would cost just £2.7bn. The actual cost is around £30bn - and that is only at the Green party's estimation of each home's cost of £60k, and will probably cost tens of billions more. She blamed her shaky understanding of her own party policy on a cold.

The Greens also want to legalise membership of terrorist organisations, actively aim for a zero growth economy, abolish the monarchy without first consulting the people on such a fundamental constitutional change (presumably because the public disagrees - democracy is great for the Greens, as long as it's on their side), as well as massively reduce border controls including an amnesty for illegal immigrants and access to benefits and the right to vote for everyone in the country, regardless of citizenship.

These are not people I want having any influence on any element of this country's economic or social policy.

I would urge you to vote for the Lib Dems, but I would urge you more not to vote for the Greens.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Nick Clegg is a man of integrity who has severely damaged his reputation by putting the interests of the coalition, a practical decision based on financial decisions, above populist opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

This song was the only thing I could think of when he started speaking.
^thank you Birkenhead, someone who sees reason regard the greens.
The 'we care for people, everyone should live a great life and we should protect the earth' policies are great in an ideal world, but these vague ideas are just that, ideas. They have no clue how to responsibly execute them.
Raise benefits, nationalise the railway and energy sectors? They haven't a clue how to run these industries, and they are biting off more than they can chew.

Free tuition fees? sure get thousands of mugs to chill for three years studying media studies/psychology cos its free and sounds like a laugh.

This whole naive, everyone pitches in sh*te is not realistic in this world. Taxing 50% over £100k, annual wealth tax over £2mil? Why even bother buying a house when the Greens will put me in social housing and raise benefits. Or why even stay in the UK when I can earn far more in the US/other countries and not see most of my paycheque taken.

The UK punches above its weight in the world because we attract foreign wealth and investment in the financial sector, these heavy taxes will kill the UK and leave us where? Oh yes the strong manufacturing industries...
Hey! Your post was really insightful!

My constituency is Newcastle Central and it's a strong Labour seat; Lib Dem always come second though - the city council is the same as well (2/3 Labour 1/3 Lib Dem)

My entire family support labour with a few idiotic UKIP supporters but I just don't know if I can vote for a party headed by Ed Miliband - Lib Dem/Green is the lesser of two evils.

Ahh the North East is a pretty strong Labour heartland. Well if the Lib Dems are your preferred party and they are the closest party to Labour in your constituency I would say go for it.

Dennis Skinner, a veteran Labour MP, said that you aren't voting for the man, you're voting for the party. I know that Ed Miliband turns some people off, but I think he is a decent man who wants to make a difference, and his party offers a viable alternative to what we currently have. Compared to ''New Labour'' the party has changed drastically for the better, adopting a more progressive stance.

But the Lib Dems and Greens do have their attractions. I think the Greens are right on many issues, but their pathetic policy on defence and immigration puts me off. The Lib Dems, to their credit did well in government to keep the Tories in check. But for the very fact of propping up a Tory government I couldn't vote for them.

At the end of the day you should vote for the party that is in your heart. But unfortunately our voting system it futile for too many voters. I hope the Lib Dems don't get annihilated, and continue pushing for further electoral reform, because it won't come from anywhere else.

You should vote Labour. From what you have wrote you seem to have the same ideological view as Tony Blair. You are very similar to Blair and I am certain would be the best of friends under different circumstances. You should vote Labour on that note
Original post by Birkenhead
I will be voting for the Lib Dems because I think they are the only party offering a sane economic policy to repair our finances without seeking to demicate vital welfare and public services. I also think that they do not deserve the public backlash they are likely to receive, having done many excellent things in government. Their commitment to billions more funding for mental health treatment is also a worthy initiative.

Unlike the Lib Dems, the Greens do not seem to have a clue about economics. Their own leader couldn't even get her head around a single policy, that of building new homes, first admitting that she didn't know how much the policy would cost and later making the ridiculous estimation that 500,000 new homes would cost just £2.7bn. The actual cost is around £30bn - and that is only at the Green party's estimation of each home's cost of £60k, and will probably cost tens of billions more. She blamed her shaky understanding of her own party policy on a cold.

The Greens also want to legalise membership of terrorist organisations, actively aim for a zero growth economy, abolish the monarchy without first consulting the people on such a fundamental constitutional change (presumably because the public disagrees - democracy is great for the Greens, as long as it's on their side), as well as massively reduce border controls including an amnesty for illegal immigrants and access to benefits and the right to vote for everyone in the country, regardless of citizenship.

These are not people I want having any influence on any element of this country's economic or social policy.

I would urge you to vote for the Lib Dems, but I would urge you more not to vote for the Greens.

I am curious to why you will not be giving your support to Labour come polling day?
Original post by The two eds
You should vote Labour. From what you have wrote you seem to have the same ideological view as Tony Blair. You are very similar to Blair and I am certain would be the best of friends under different circumstances. You should vote Labour on that note

inb4 we find out ;the two eds; is actually ed milli, trying to win each vote one at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wP1w0ioDk8
I am curious to why you will not be giving your support to Labour come polling day?

Because I don't trust the current Labour party to properly manage the economy.

I also cringe at the idea of Ed Miliband joining the distinguished ranks of this country's Prime Ministers. It is important that we have a strong and charismatic leader and he does not fit the bill by a country mile. The prospect of infighting between him and Balls à la Blair and Brown - or at least the image of this, which can be just as damaging - is also too likely for me to have any confidence in them.

The poster didn't express any ideological positions...
Original post by Birkenhead
Because I don't trust the current Labour party to properly manage the economy.

I also cringe at the idea of Ed Miliband joining the distinguished ranks of this country's Prime Ministers. It is important that we have a strong and charismatic leader and he does not fit the bill by a country mile. The prospect of infighting between him and Balls à la Blair and Brown - or at least the image of this, which can be just as damaging - is also too likely for me to have any confidence in them.

That is a very funny U-turn you have made. It was not long ago you were a staunch supporter of Labour and would of vouched for their economic performance during their last term.
Reply 19
What is so terrible about the Green Party aside from some nonsensical budgeting issues they do speak a lot of truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending