The Student Room Group

Need psychology revision help

I'm stuck on unit 3/psy3 for psychology.

I initially bought the loopa.co.uk resources and at first I thought they were very useful, but now I feel like it's just too much having to memories 18+ essays off heart.

We've barely had a teacher for the whole academic year, our teacher was sick for most of the time and we've just had cover teachers or cancelled lessons.

I'm honestly struggling and don't know what to do and I think I'm going to get a U at the end if a miracle doesn't happen. I cannot write a decent essay without using the textbook.

My initial plan was to memorize A* model essays, but eveytime I look at the loop eBooks I bought in order to prepare a model essay, I panic at the amount of work I'm expected to do. The panic causes me to get anxious and stressed, and I end up not doing nothing.

Any help or anyone in the same boat and has tips? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Hi,

I bought a couple of the Loopa books too. They are useful but full of too much information and they are pricey to buy them all. I think you should calm down and relax a bit you have 2 months until the exam and if you review the topics everyday you should be fine.

I recommend you use your textbook and make notes on each point in the specification (I use the cara clanagan dog book). Your A02 notes should be twice as much as A01 as it's worth double the marks. Then convert those notes into an essay which is about 3 sides- 1 AO1 and 2 AO2. You can use the Loopa books to get help with structure or for additional A01/A02 points if your textbook doesn't have enough. Making your own essays and notes will help you process and learn the information. From your essay make a bullet point plan about the key points you will talk about and put the plan on a cue card for example. Or you can do the plan first and expand on it in an actual essay. You can also make a mind map with the information or type it up.

Once you have done this for a topic (e.g. aggression) go through and practice each essay in 30 minutes. First you can copy out you model essay again and again. When you're confident you know it then do it off by heart. Then try and write it only using your plan. Then you will know it hopefully without any plan or essay. If you learn and understand a topic then you shouldn't have to memorise the essay word by word. If they re-word the question to how you practised you will panic in the exam so learn the information and don't just memorise essays.

Don't do the same topic in one day as you will get bored of it- try and mix it up. When your practising time yourself for 30 mins even if you dont write 3 sides initially move on so every 30 mins your're doing another essay. I recommend you do this for all possible questions for each topic.

Hope that helps :smile: Let me know how you get on
Reply 2
Original post by tweety97
Hi,

I bought a couple of the Loopa books too. They are useful but full of too much information and they are pricey to buy them all. I think you should calm down and relax a bit you have 2 months until the exam and if you review the topics everyday you should be fine.

I recommend you use your textbook and make notes on each point in the specification (I use the cara clanagan dog book). Your A02 notes should be twice as much as A01 as it's worth double the marks. Then convert those notes into an essay which is about 3 sides- 1 AO1 and 2 AO2. You can use the Loopa books to get help with structure or for additional A01/A02 points if your textbook doesn't have enough. Making your own essays and notes will help you process and learn the information. From your essay make a bullet point plan about the key points you will talk about and put the plan on a cue card for example. Or you can do the plan first and expand on it in an actual essay. You can also make a mind map with the information or type it up.

Once you have done this for a topic (e.g. aggression) go through and practice each essay in 30 minutes. First you can copy out you model essay again and again. When you're confident you know it then do it off by heart. Then try and write it only using your plan. Then you will know it hopefully without any plan or essay. If you learn and understand a topic then you shouldn't have to memorise the essay word by word. If they re-word the question to how you practised you will panic in the exam so learn the information and don't just memorise essays.

Don't do the same topic in one day as you will get bored of it- try and mix it up. When your practising time yourself for 30 mins even if you dont write 3 sides initially move on so every 30 mins your're doing another essay. I recommend you do this for all possible questions for each topic.

Hope that helps :smile: Let me know how you get on

Wow thank you for your detailed response. I will try what you have said.
What approach do you think is more doable?

Memorizing essays or learning the content very well?

Also, how isit possible to remember all the A02 points? I find it a bit too much to take all in.

I will use flash cards like you have said to make an essay plan. Each card will contain 1 side of A01 bullet points and 2 sides of A02 bullet points.

What does one do if they cannot think of any A02 from researchers? Could I just go thru each grenade and use that to evaluate the given theory?
Your welcome :smile:

I think you need to know the content in order to have enough content to write in your essays. personally i would use both approaches. Read the content and understand it then write an model essay using your textbook. then just learn the essays. What i meant by learning the content is basically understanding it. So uf there is a concept you dont understand dont put it in an essay then memorise it you have to UNDERSTAND the stuff.

hope u got that or is it confusing?

the thing there is one essay they can ask per topic in the specification so u have to practice essays.

for the a02 points- for each point identify a key word then turn it into an acronym for example for the double bind theory in schizophrenia-

2BBR

2- double bind theory
B - burger
ect

u can make it with letters or numbers. To reprent and key point e.g. reductionism or a researcher. Trust me this works the acronym above was made in november time and i still remember it. But you have to practice recalling each acronym and you need to know what each one stands for and what essay it goes with whuch us why i had the 2 at the beginning so i know what a01 point it goes with.

The flashcard idea is great !

If u cant think of a02 google the essay your doing and see if anyone has written any a02 pointS. if there is a lot of a01 research theb u can use it as a02 to support the theory because textbooks tend to have too much a01.

just have 2 grenade points in each essay and the rest research so that you can backed up ao2 points. if u cant find any at all (research) then i guess u can have 3.
By the way the 'burger' in the acronym is a name of a researcher not an actual burger :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tweety97
Your welcome :smile:

I think you need to know the content in order to have enough content to write in your essays. personally i would use both approaches. Read the content and understand it then write an model essay using your textbook. then just learn the essays. What i meant by learning the content is basically understanding it. So uf there is a concept you dont understand dont put it in an essay then memorise it you have to UNDERSTAND the stuff.

hope u got that or is it confusing?

the thing there is one essay they can ask per topic in the specification so u have to practice essays.

for the a02 points- for each point identify a key word then turn it into an acronym for example for the double bind theory in schizophrenia-

2BBR

2- double bind theory
B - burger
ect

u can make it with letters or numbers. To reprent and key point e.g. reductionism or a researcher. Trust me this works the acronym above was made in november time and i still remember it. But you have to practice recalling each acronym and you need to know what each one stands for and what essay it goes with whuch us why i had the 2 at the beginning so i know what a01 point it goes with.

The flashcard idea is great !

If u cant think of a02 google the essay your doing and see if anyone has written any a02 pointS. if there is a lot of a01 research theb u can use it as a02 to support the theory because textbooks tend to have too much a01.

just have 2 grenade points in each essay and the rest research so that you can backed up ao2 points. if u cant find any at all (research) then i guess u can have 3.

Yeah the acronym method is amazing, I did it in my AS exam to remember a lot of stuff from unit 2. Especially that whole sympathetic pathway thing. It works great, it's just that the jump from AS Psychololgy to A2 is more than crazy.

But I will start practicing, everyday to do at least 2 hrs of psychology until my exam.

Thanks a lot..
Original post by Async
Yeah the acronym method is amazing, I did it in my AS exam to remember a lot of stuff from unit 2. Especially that whole sympathetic pathway thing. It works great, it's just that the jump from AS Psychololgy to A2 is more than crazy.

But I will start practicing, everyday to do at least 2 hrs of psychology until my exam.

Thanks a lot..

your welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending