The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm about halfway through watching it. I won't be voting anyway but it's still quite interesting.

Miliband - Freaking me out when he stares directly into the camera but he's saying some decent things
Bennett - Not said much so far but I don't really like her
Cameron - Keeps talking about the past to deflect criticism aimed at him
Farage and the Welsh one - Not even worth talking about
Sturgeon - Making a lot of sense and arguing well, I would probably vote for them if I was Scottish
Clegg - I'm rooting for him, it's like when the kid get who gets bullied starts fighting back
Original post by Red Fox
I'm about halfway through watching it. I won't be voting anyway but it's still quite interesting.

Miliband - Freaking me out when he stares directly into the camera but he's saying some decent things
Bennett - Not said much so far but I don't really like her
Cameron - Keeps talking about the past to deflect criticism aimed at him
Farage and the Welsh one - Not even worth talking about
Sturgeon - Making a lot of sense and arguing well, I would probably vote for them if I was Scottish
Clegg - I'm rooting for him, it's like when the kid get who gets bullied starts fighting back

Hey be nice to the Welsh one :tongue:

Lol at the staring into the camera

Wait till the closing speech, his hands are crazy
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hey be nice to the Welsh one :tongue:

Lol at the staring into the camera

Wait till the closing speech, his hands are crazy

Okay maybe it was a bit harsh grouping her with Farage.

I look forward to it:lol:
Original post by Red Fox
Okay maybe it was a bit harsh grouping her with Farage.

I look forward to it:lol:

I don't think she said anything wrong per se tbf.

They all seem to have the same aims, it's just the methods employed. (I say they all, excluding farage). I personally think Nicola's idea of investment and spending is actually a good one.

We're in debt so might as well spend a bit more if it means we can generate growth in profitable areas and then use that to pay back debt. It's slower but also a nicer approach compared to quick cuts.

I say just tax the super rich lots lol, you don't choose what you're born into, and they won't suffer in the slightest with a bit less, they wouldn't even notice.
If Miliband took Labour to the left I would so be on that bandwagon.

They all seem to have the same aims, it's just the methods employed. (I say they all, excluding farage). I personally think Nicola's idea of investment and spending is actually a good one.

We're in debt so might as well spend a bit more if it means we can generate growth in profitable areas and then use that to pay back debt. It's slower but also a nicer approach compared to quick cuts.

I say just tax the super rich lots lol, you don't choose what you're born into, and they won't suffer in the slightest with a bit less, they wouldn't even notice.

Exactly what needs to happen; super-duper ****ing "**** you" rich-people taxing. There's certainly a risk that it would push (some of) the rich out of the country, which is why I also say ****ing do that **** EU-wide (and beyond :mmm:).

Do it more nicely perhaps, but that's why I'm no politician :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Going too intense with taxes on rich and big companies would basically discourage them from remaining in the uk, resulting in less overall tax revenue
It's difficult to get the tax levels right because you don't want them to go but you want their money :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I do agree that the richer you are, the more tax you should pay obviously. It can get pretty ridiculous though like France has a 75% tax rate for top earners I think. I don't agree that anyone should have that much of their income taken from them no matter how rich they are.
Original post by MangoFreak
If Miliband took Labour to the left I would so be on that bandwagon.

Exactly what needs to happen; super-duper ****ing "**** you" rich-people taxing. There's certainly a risk that it would push (some of) the rich out of the country, which is why I also say ****ing do that **** EU-wide (and beyond :mmm:).

Do it more nicely perhaps, but that's why I'm no politician :tongue:

Okay, when I say lots I don't mean 50% or anything huge. Just more than lower earners.

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Going too intense with taxes on rich and big companies would basically discourage them from remaining in the uk, resulting in less overall tax revenue
It's difficult to get the tax levels right because you don't want them to go but you want their money :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but all those tax avoiders for example, they evade because they're selfish *****. They need to be caught and made an example of. Then have the tax a fair amount so they won't try to evade. If they leave they leave, you'd just hope not all would. That or impose a global tax on the rich :awesome:

Original post by Red Fox
Hmm I do agree that the richer you are, the more tax you should pay obviously. It can get pretty ridiculous though like France has a 75% tax rate for top earners I think. I don't agree that anyone should have that much of their income taken from them no matter how rich they are.

That's a bit ridiculous tbh.
I'm an avid Green supporter (paying member and all) but Natalie Bennett is...meh.

Couldn't agree more with this, my exact thoughts

Original post by Red Fox

I got a text halfway through the debate saying "why does ed miliband always talk like he's on a comic relief advert " ahahahahah :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
Couldn't agree more with this, my exact thoughts

I got a text halfway through the debate saying "why does ed miliband always talk like he's on a comic relief advert " ahahahahah :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha that's a perfect description:lol:.

I do feel sorry for Miliband when everyone tears into him though. He seems like a decent guy.
Original post by Red Fox
Hahaha that's a perfect description:lol:.

I do feel sorry for Miliband when everyone tears into him though. He seems like a decent guy.

I adore ed miliband, think he's a genuinely good guy
I prefer him to Bennett, am so torn between Greens and Labour

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it rests on whether you want to go for the person or the policies of the party.
I think it rests on whether you want to go for the person or the policies of the party.

I tend to do it by constituency
For example my constituency is always overwhelming labour so I don't need to worry about that, which makes me think I should vote green
However the constituency I go to college in is always a two horse race between tories and labour. If I lived there I would definitely vote labour as I feel it counts for more there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politicians may be the most powerful people (fundamentally, practically the fundraisers are), but that doesn't mean they have the power to do everything.

Then they shouldn't make the promises they don't intend to keep! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the Greens really have a chance of winning the seat though? It's probably going to be Labour v Conservative in the end so a vote for Labour is probably a more tactical vote. Labour always easily win in my constituency so is there even a point in voting:lol: (not srs before someone lectures me about the point of voting).
(edited 9 years ago)
I tend to do it by constituency
For example my constituency is always overwhelming labour so I don't need to worry about that, which makes me think I should vote green
However the constituency I go to college in is always a two horse race between tories and labour. If I lived there I would definitely vote labour as I feel it counts for more there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might look up some stats actually in my areas

And also vote for my grandparents lmao
Okay, when I say lots I don't mean 50% or anything huge. Just more than lower earners.

Yes but all those tax avoiders for example, they evade because they're selfish *****. They need to be caught and made an example of. Then have the tax a fair amount so they won't try to evade. If they leave they leave, you'd just hope not all would. That or impose a global tax on the rich :awesome:

That's a bit ridiculous tbh.

Not much you can do about tax avoidance there are so many loopholes and it's some people's jobs to just find these loopholes

Even making an example of people rarely works, although Gary Barlow did pay all that he owed back I believe

Also important to remember tax avoidance isn't actually illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Conservatives will win in my constituency, and their only threat is UKIP. Therefore, it is most likely more beneficial to tactically vote conservative even though I am Labour
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Not much you can do about tax avoidance there are so many loopholes and it's some people's jobs to just find these loopholes

Even making an example of people rarely works, although Gary Barlow did pay all that he owed back I believe

Also important to remember tax avoidance isn't actually illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make it illegal, job done

All it needs to say is

Any attempt to evade tax is punishable

Tada
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Conservatives will win in my constituency, and their only threat is UKIP. Therefore, it is most likely more beneficial to tactically vote conservative even though I am Labour

Yeah, should vote conservative then imo
Original post by Magnus Taylor

Thats the same here, conservative here but because of immigration most of the people are really racist and are going to UKIP.

Latest