The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP!! A Level - Btec Dilema!!

I have applied for 2 Btecs and 2 A Levels in college
Applied Law Btec L3 Subsidiary Diploma
Business Btec L3 Subsidiary Diploma
A Level Media Studies
A Level English Language/Literature (combined)

Assuming I get good grades:colondollar: D*D*AA would these course allow me to get into a top university/Russel Group University to study Law? Most of the universities that accept Btec show entry requirements for Btec Extended Diplomas but not mixed qualifications.
Do you think this is a good combination to study Law LLB?

I am also worried about my GCSE profile as I am only taking 9 and will most likely only get 6 A*-C (English Language, Maths, Psychology, French, Art, RE Short Course). Am I at a major disadvantage to people with around 11 GCSE's or do universities not look past Level 3 qualifications?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tyrese_98
A Level Media Studies

Assuming I get good grades:colondollar: D*D*AA would these course allow me to get into a top university/Russel Group University to study Law? Most of the universities that accept Btec show entry requirements for Btec Extended Diplomas but not a mixed qualifications.

Being brutally honest with you, you're making a terrible mistake in your choices.

Don't take BTEC's at all. People have no real respect for them, especially Russell Group Universities.

In terms of Alevels, do not take Media Studies. Nobody has any respect for it, especially if you're looking at something like law.

English lang/lit is fine as a choice.

In terms of what other choices I would suggest, the general rule is anything that is traditionally seen as academic. So sciences, history, politics, economics, languages, philosophy etc.

I am also worried about my GCSE profile as I am only taking 9 and will most likely only get 6 A*-C (English Language, Maths, Psychology, French, Art, RE Short Course). Am I at a major disadvantage to people with around 11 GCSE's or do universities not look past Level 3 qualifications?

One of the main things unis look at are GCSE's. If you're looking at top universities then they are going to expect far more than simply getting 6 out of 9 subjects at C or higher. You really need to be getting as many at A/A* as you possibly can.

Sheer number of GCSE's isn't really a problem so don't worry about that.

What I would probably suggest is that after your GCSE results, consider taking a degree other than law and then doing a law conversion course afterwards if they aren't mostly A*'s/A's. The reason I say this is that law is incredibly competitive to get into and going to a university that is not one of the better ones for law is not good for your job prospects. It's better to go to a better university and study say English and then do the law conversion, than to go to a mid ranked university and do law. A lot of people who become solicitors/barristers did not study law at undergraduate level; it's about a 50/50 split of those who did vs those who didn't.

Hope that helps, fire back with any q's.
Reply 2
Original post by jenkinsear
Being brutally honest with you, you're making a terrible mistake in your choices.Don't take BTEC's at all. People have no real respect for them, especially Russell Group Universities. In terms of Alevels, do not take Media Studies. Nobody has any respect for it, especially if you're looking at something like law.English lang/lit is fine as a choice.In terms of what other choices I would suggest, the general rule is anything that is traditionally seen as academic. So sciences, history, politics, economics, languages, philosophy etc. One of the main things unis look at are GCSE's. If you're looking at top universities then they are going to expect far more than simply getting 6 out of 9 subjects at C or higher. You really need to be getting as many at A/A* as you possibly can.Sheer number of GCSE's isn't really a problem so don't worry about that.What I would probably suggest is that after your GCSE results, consider taking a degree other than law and then doing a law conversion course afterwards if they aren't mostly A*'s/A's. The reason I say this is that law is incredibly competitive to get into and going to a university that is not one of the better ones for law is not good for your job prospects. It's better to go to a better university and study say English and then do the law conversion, than to go to a mid ranked university and do law. A lot of people who become solicitors/barristers did not study law at undergraduate level; it's about a 50/50 split of those who did vs those who didn't.Hope that helps, fire back with any q's.
Thanks for the reply. Would Media Studies be ok as a 4th A Level if I took it alongside English Lang/Lit, Business and Btec Law (Only taking this as i want to take a law course and Btec is all my college offers). I am taking GCSE Psychology and predicited a B so i could essentially do it in college but I heard its A LOT harder at A Level and I'd need to get an A. Have you studied any of these subjects?
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
To do a law degree at a top university you essentially need strong reading (comprehension) and writing skills. These may be lacking according to your expected GCSE grades.

I would advise that in general to read good quality newspapers to develop these skills and knowledge, and moreover to think critically about real world issues.
Have you seen the Russel group 'informed choices' leaflet? They give an idea of what subjects to and not to study for subjects such as law. Here is the link to the website: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/

But one thing to mention is that for law they want facilitating subjects such as history and English but not media studies
Reply 5
Original post by sunnydespair
To do a law degree at a top university you essentially need strong reading (comprehension) and writing skills. These may be lacking according to your expected GCSE grades.

I would advise that in general to read good quality newspapers to develop these skills and knowledge, and moreover to think critically about real world issues.

English is my top subject (the only one im particular good at:biggrin:) and i'm predicted a B but I know I can get an A as I did in my mocks. I do need to enhance my reading skills though as I rarley read for pleasure. Hopefully English Lang/Lit A Level will help me do that.
Reply 6
If you want to do any subject at a top university, don't do BTECs.
Reply 7
Original post by orangeee22
Have you seen the Russel group 'informed choices' leaflet? They give an idea of what subjects to and not to study for subjects such as law. Here is the link to the website: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/

But one thing to mention is that for law they want facilitating subjects such as history and English but not media studies

I havent seen this yet, thanks
A Level Media Studies

Assuming I get good grades:colondollar: D*D*AA would these course allow me to get into a top university/Russel Group University to study Law? Most of the universities that accept Btec show entry requirements for Btec Extended Diplomas but not a mixed qualifications.

You should do what you like, be it Btec or A levels.

Doing a Btec does not necessarily put you at a disadvantage depending on what course you want to study at uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Exon

Yeah I think i'm deciding against Btecs considering I want to study Law, vocational qualifications arent the best preparation for uni.
Reply 10
Original post by German123
You should do what you like, be it Btec or A levels.

Doing a Btec does not necessarily put you at a disadvantage depending on what course you want to study at uni.

Thanks for answering, I want to study law so I dont think a btec would stand a good chance againnst people with 3 science a levels for example?
Thanks for answering, I want to study law so I dont think a btec would stand a good chance againnst people with 3 science a levels for example?

Yes, I guess that is true.
Reply 12
Original post by Exon

Depends what subject you apply for, admittedly law - probably not but I got 5 offers all from good units including 3 good Russell groups and I now go to Royal Holloway studying Computer Science with my Computing BTEC
Thanks for the reply. Would Media Studies be ok as a 4th A Level if I took it alongside English Lang/Lit, Business and Btec Law (Only taking this as i want to take a law course and Btec is all my college offers). I am taking GCSE Psychology and predicited a B so i could essentially do it in college but I heard its A LOT harder at A Level and I'd need to get an A. Have you studied any of these subjects?
Thanks

For the love of god, do not do a BTEC. They are worthless for the kind of ambitions you have. Doing a qualification in law is entirely unnecessary for doing a law degree- some would argue it's actually a bad idea.

I would strongly recommend against Media Studies as a 4th Alevel. It really is a dire dire choice.

I did English Lit, but none of the others. I don't even know if BTEC's existed in my day.
Reply 14
For the love of god, do not do a BTEC. They are worthless for the kind of ambitions you have. Doing a qualification in law is entirely unnecessary for doing a law degree- some would argue it's actually a bad idea.

I would strongly recommend against Media Studies as a 4th Alevel. It really is a dire dire choice.

I did English Lit, but none of the others. I don't even know if BTEC's existed in my day.

I'm definatly going to consider doing a degree other than law and then a conversion course as you suggested. Entry requirements for courses such as English, Business & Criminology (subjects im interested in) are generally lower than for Law. However studying for an extra 1-2year/s isnt massively appealing!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by yt7777
Depends what subject you apply for, admittedly law - probably not but I got 5 offers all from good units including 3 good Russell groups and I now go to Royal Holloway studying Computer Science with my Computing BTEC

Did you ever get bored doing the same subject every lesson (if you did the extended diploma)? I could take btec business but i think aswell as being at a disadvantage for a law degree, i might hate the course and be stuck with it
Reply 16
Did you ever get bored doing the same subject every lesson (if you did the extended diploma)? I could take btec business but i think aswell as being at a disadvantage for a law degree, i might hate the course and be stuck with it

No, I really enjoyed doing all one subjey because it was what I wanted to persue

Is that an extended in business?
Reply 17
Original post by yt7777
No, I really enjoyed doing all one subjey because it was what I wanted to persue

Is that an extended in business?

Yeah the Business Extended Diploma. If that can get me to uni to study business then I could do a law conversion course. I do enjoy business studies and I think btec would better suit me, do you have to meet strict deadlines & how many units did you work on at once??
Reply 18
Yeah the Business Extended Diploma. If that can get me to uni to study business then I could do a law conversion course. I do enjoy business studies and I think btec would better suit me, do you have to meet strict deadlines & how many units did you work on at once??

You do 18 units and usually study 2/3 at a time, yeah I had deadlines near enough every week
Being brutally honest with you, you're making a terrible mistake in your choices.

Don't take BTEC's at all. People have no real respect for them, especially Russell Group Universities.

In terms of Alevels, do not take Media Studies. Nobody has any respect for it, especially if you're looking at something like law.

English lang/lit is fine as a choice.

In terms of what other choices I would suggest, the general rule is anything that is traditionally seen as academic. So sciences, history, politics, economics, languages, philosophy etc.

One of the main things unis look at are GCSE's. If you're looking at top universities then they are going to expect far more than simply getting 6 out of 9 subjects at C or higher. You really need to be getting as many at A/A* as you possibly can.

Sheer number of GCSE's isn't really a problem so don't worry about that.

What I would probably suggest is that after your GCSE results, consider taking a degree other than law and then doing a law conversion course afterwards if they aren't mostly A*'s/A's. The reason I say this is that law is incredibly competitive to get into and going to a university that is not one of the better ones for law is not good for your job prospects. It's better to go to a better university and study say English and then do the law conversion, than to go to a mid ranked university and do law. A lot of people who become solicitors/barristers did not study law at undergraduate level; it's about a 50/50 split of those who did vs those who didn't.

Hope that helps, fire back with any q's.

You are partly wrong. I did two btec subdisary diplomas and one a level and got given unconditionals from 3 russell groups - Birmingham, Exeter and nottingham. Things are changing, as long as OP does sensible btecs and aims for D* and mixes their btec with a sensible a level or two (and does well), they will be fine in terms of getting a place at a russell group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending