The Student Room Group

Will I fail my Latin GCSE?

:frown: :s-smilie: :confused:

So I`m taking my OCR Latin GCES`s in about 1 month and I know near to NOTHING.

I know NONE of the grammar AT ALL for the first 2 language papers, BUT I have practised the Prose and Verse texts and am hoping for a C in them if I do really well...

So, I was thinking that now I am pretty sure its going to be impossible to learn all the grammar in 1 month, I should just give up, but then I though about a way I could possibly avoid a failed GCSE, which is VOCAB.

If I were to memorise every single latin word, would I be able to do well in the OCR Latin GCSE Language 1 and 2 papers? I figured I wouldn`t really need grammar to piece together separate words, I could guess word order etc...

To be honest I am aiming to pass the Latin GCSE with a C grade as an absolute min, which would mean I have to get min 60% in both language papers, so does anyone think this may be feasible with no grammar knowledge, but a solid vocabulary?

Scroll to see replies

arghh pls respond someone?!?!
If you have time to learn all the words, how don't you have time to learn at least the basic grammar?
My AQA Latin exams are last up. I haven't even started revising looool
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Unfortunately that's not how it works. You need to know every single word on the vocab list AND the grammar to secure a goodish grade. Latin is not like English -only the grammar will let you know whether a word is the subject or the object, whether what you're translating refers to the present, the past or the future, whether something is an infinitive or a participle and many more.

And even if you do learn the vocab, how will you be able to distinguish the different parts of each word?

You can learn what "do" (give) means, but will you be able to recognise that "dedisti", for example, is the second person singular of the perfect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yes.

I did my Latin GCSE last year (on WJEC though, not AQA)

Tbh my grammatical understanding was poor, but my vocab pretty solid. As long as you know basic grammar, ie nominative, accusative, vocative and perhaps genative you'll be fine for most of the paper. The superlatives and passive tense and such are more to distinguish between A/A* (at least, that's how it was for me)

Do you use Cambridge SCP? If so, blitz the word tester. Do one stage at a time. Start on stage 1, learn them all, then move on to 2... Etc.
Honestly, if you REALLY tried, you could learn one stage a day.

EDIT: You said you know no grammar at all. I missed that.
With absolutely no knowledge, no you won't do well tbh. But the basic grammar shouldn't take long to learn at all
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mastermind1000000

I know NONE of the grammar AT ALL for the first 2 language papers, BUT I have practised the Prose and Verse texts and am hoping for a C in them if I do really well...

So, I was thinking that now I am pretty sure its going to be impossible to learn all the grammar in 1 month, I should just give up, but then I though about a way I could possibly avoid a failed GCSE, which is VOCAB.

If I were to memorise every single latin word, would I be able to do well in the OCR Latin GCSE Language 1 and 2 papers? I figured I wouldn`t really need grammar to piece together separate words, I could guess word order etc...

To be honest I am aiming to pass the Latin GCSE with a C grade as an absolute min, which would mean I have to get min 60% in both language papers, so does anyone think this may be feasible with no grammar knowledge, but a solid vocabulary?

You can get next to full marks in prose and verse without much difficulty, just memorise it all. Took me 2-3 hours a day for 7 days and I knew it by heard and what every word translated as. I knew no grammar really but still got an A*. Just stop stressing and start memorising. Do it a sentence at a time. Read it then cover up the English and try to recite it just using the latin as prompts.
OK
(edited 6 years ago)
TIP: for paper two language:

plurimi = very many

This has come up a lot in the past so. :biggrin:

Anyways:
Learn some basic grammar. At least be able to recognise accusatives and plurals, please....
You can't just go into the exam knowing NO grammar AT ALL even if you know the vocab off by heart - you'll fail miserably trying to work out what a sentence means.... Word order only gets you so far.
Original post by Tian1Sky
If you have time to learn all the words, how don't you have time to learn at least the basic grammar?

Because I find memorizing vocab extremely easy (Can memorize 30 words in 30 mins) but the grammar just doesn`t click for me :frown:

Also I am doing 10 other GCSE exams, as well as Additional maths and Further maths both of which I need to focus on a lot more than latin
Original post by *Stefan*
Unfortunately that's not how it works. You need to know every single word on the vocab list AND the grammar to secure a goodish grade. Latin is not like English -only the grammar will let you know whether a word is the subject or the object, whether what you're translating refers to the present, the past or the future, whether something is an infinitive or a participle and many more.

And even if you do learn the vocab, how will you be able to distinguish the different parts of each word?

You can learn what "do" (give) means, but will you be able to recognise that "dedisti", for example, is the second person singular of the perfect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I could piece togethe the few words I do know if I get the context, for example for some questions I`ve seen they say things like "Why was this guy crossing the river", so you can sort of guess what the sentence is saying...Sort of..

I only want a C :frown:
Original post by turn-to-page394
TIP: for paper two language:

plurimi = very many

This has come up a lot in the past so. :biggrin:

Anyways:
Learn some basic grammar. At least be able to recognise accusatives and plurals, please....
You can't just go into the exam knowing NO grammar AT ALL even if you know the vocab off by heart - you'll fail miserably trying to work out what a sentence means.... Word order only gets you so far.

Ill try to learn a bit of vocab but I just find it soooo... not trying to offend people who like languages, but I find it tedious :frown: I like Physics, Chemistry, Biology because its stuff that you can actually apply in real life. Even maths or R.S... Latin is my only completely useless real life subject and quite frankly I have never paid attention in any lesson, ever just because i think its useless :frown:
Original post by Plank60
Utique non! Studere dura; simpliciter downloadus resources.

accentus=malus

Pro pátribus pon, puto in lumine postitus Latin GCSE. Et ne des!

Print this off and have a go!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59093-question-paper-unit-a401-01-latin-language-1-mythology-and-domestic-life-foundation-tier.pdf

I`m going to be doing higher teir eventhough I`m going to fail :frown:

You wont fail if you put the work in.

I remember being in a similar situation last year with my German GCSE but I have put the work in an got the grade(B in the listening, B on the controlled assessment and C on the reading)

So if you try you wont regret because you will know you have put some effort in.

Edit: Excuse the username.
(edited 9 years ago)
I`m going to be doing higher teir eventhough I`m going to fail :frown:

If you keep saying this then maybe you will fail.

You need to have a positive attitude and be strict with yourself.

This time last year I remember stressing and telling my German teacher to put me on the foundation tier paper because I though there is no way I would be able to handle the higher tier due to my mock grades. Despite all that my teacher was reluctant to put me on the foundation and told me I was going to do the higher.

After my conversation with her I decided to knuckle down and guess what? I was able to ace both exams.

So...

if you try to knuckle down and learn some vocab like I did you would do better than you think.

Trust me I have been there and you will thank yourself in August when you have truly put some effort in. :smile:
Reply 15
I did Latin GCSE in a year last year so I understand the pressure you feel! I began learning vocab on Memrise everyday from the Easter Holidays and finished with about a week to spare after learning about 50 words a day- it was tough but I got 96/100 and 98/100 respectively on the language papers and I still remember most of the vocab now! If you know all of the vocab back to front, all principle parts and irregulars etc. you should be capable of getting a good mark. I knew the cases and the tenses but I guessed on adjectives, adverbs, gerunds etc. because I had no time. I also created flashcards for the grammar but tbh I think only knowing the cases' endings and knowing tenses is necessary for an A- that's what I got in my mock and I knew very little vocab or grammar at that point! I got an A* in the end and I'm sure you'll also get a good mark 😊 but yes, in answer to your question, learn vocab as the comprehension part of the language paper almost solely relies on it and when it comes to the longer translations, just write what makes sense! Good luck 😄
Original post by AdamCee
Yes.

I did my Latin GCSE last year (on WJEC though, not AQA)

Tbh my grammatical understanding was poor, but my vocab pretty solid. As long as you know basic grammar, ie nominative, accusative, vocative and perhaps genative you'll be fine for most of the paper. The superlatives and passive tense and such are more to distinguish between A/A* (at least, that's how it was for me)

Do you use Cambridge SCP? If so, blitz the word tester. Do one stage at a time. Start on stage 1, learn them all, then move on to 2... Etc.
Honestly, if you REALLY tried, you could learn one stage a day.

EDIT: You said you know no grammar at all. I missed that.
With absolutely no knowledge, no you won't do well tbh. But the basic grammar shouldn't take long to learn at all

Yeh most of my responses have been to learn basic grammar so i might give it a shot
Original post by Rebbyk
I did Latin GCSE in a year last year so I understand the pressure you feel! I began learning vocab on Memrise everyday from the Easter Holidays and finished with about a week to spare after learning about 50 words a day- it was tough but I got 96/100 and 98/100 respectively on the language papers and I still remember most of the vocab now! If you know all of the vocab back to front, all principle parts and irregulars etc. you should be capable of getting a good mark. I knew the cases and the tenses but I guessed on adjectives, adverbs, gerunds etc. because I had no time. I also created flashcards for the grammar but tbh I think only knowing the cases' endings and knowing tenses is necessary for an A- that's what I got in my mock and I knew very little vocab or grammar at that point! I got an A* in the end and I'm sure you'll also get a good mark 😊 but yes, in answer to your question, learn vocab as the comprehension part of the language paper almost solely relies on it and when it comes to the longer translations, just write what makes sense! Good luck 😄

Thanks for the response, I`m gonna give the grammar a shot, hopefully I can pass this subject :smile:
Original post by German123
If you keep saying this then maybe you will fail.

You need to have a positive attitude and be strict with yourself.

This time last year I remember stressing and telling my German teacher to put me on the foundation tier paper because I though there is no way I would be able to handle the higher tier due to my mock grades. Despite all that my teacher was reluctant to put me on the foundation and told me I was going to do the higher.

After my conversation with her I decided to knuckle down and guess what? I was able to ace both exams.

So...

if you try to knuckle down and learn some vocab like I did you would do better than you think.

Trust me I have been there and you will thank yourself in August when you have truly put some effort in. :smile:

You know what, I will. I`m putting my science and maths revision on hold (Pretty much guarenteed A*s in them with or without revision - except maybe the additional maths :P) and im gonna focus it on Latin grammar revison. Thnx for your input :smile:
You know what, I will. I`m putting my science and maths revision on hold (Pretty much guarenteed A*s in them with or without revision - except maybe the additional maths :P) and im gonna focus it on Latin grammar revison. Thnx for your input :smile:

Do what suits you.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest