The Student Room Group

Applications to usa 2015 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elaras
Probs not UChicago, because I got into Cambridge so I'm not sure if it's worth it? Plus, at Cambridge I'd get VERY good at my languages, more so than at UChi. I'm swayed towards Uchi because of the cost and the city though :smile:

Here are my stats:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18315598/#Comment_18315598

Hopefully if I turn them down though someone who wants it more than me can go :smile:

Thanks, it makes me realise the kind of grades that I need to get in order to get into one of the US colleges. Do you have any ideas as to why you were rejected from Harvard. I have read hat they require 3 SAT II tests, could this be why you didn't make it in?
Reply 101
Original post by jakepds
Do you have any ideas as to why you were rejected from Harvard.

Harvard rejected 94.7% of applicants this year... There just simply isn't space.
Reply 102
Original post by jakepds
Thanks, it makes me realise the kind of grades that I need to get in order to get into one of the US colleges. Do you have any ideas as to why you were rejected from Harvard. I have read hat they require 3 SAT II tests, could this be why you didn't make it in?

Basically what fayy said - TOP Us colleges can be soo unpredictable. I know a girl who lives in the US and got this award that basically said she was the academically and ec wise the BEST female student in her whole state (like a presidents award or st idk) and she was waitlisted at harvard when she applied. This year I've seen people accepted to Stanford and Harvard but rejected by Yale, or rejected by those three then accepted at Princeton.
Original post by elaras
Basically what fayy said - TOP Us colleges can be soo unpredictable. I know a girl who lives in the US and got this award that basically said she was the academically and ec wise the BEST female student in her whole state (like a presidents award or st idk) and she was waitlisted at harvard when she applied. This year I've seen people accepted to Stanford and Harvard but rejected by Yale, or rejected by those three then accepted at Princeton.

I remember my American Uncle telling me once that you may get accepted by Princeton and MIT, but not Harvard. He said that one of the reasons for this is because they have quotas for different geographic regions and so they may already have too many people from your area to fit you in.
Original post by jakepds
I have read that they require 3 SAT II tests, could this be why you didn't make it in?

HYP etc. ask for 2 SAT II subject tests nowadays - but (this is a question for everyone on this thread) do you think it's worth doing 3 to show a wider range of skills on your application? D'you reckon an extra test makes a difference?
Reply 105
Original post by thelyphron
HYP etc. ask for 2 SAT II subject tests nowadays - but (this is a question for everyone on this thread) do you think it's worth doing 3 to show a wider range of skills on your application? D'you reckon an extra test makes a difference?

If you can, sure. I struggled w subject tests because my subjects (humanities) vary so much depending on syllabus, unlike sciences which are more universal.
Accepted at Cornell, the Cooper Union, and Southern California Inst. of Architecture.

Thrilled about Cornell because it's no.1 in the US for architecture, also thrilled about Cooper Union because its architecture school has a 3.5% acceptance rate and only accepts 25 per year.

Rejected at Harvard and Rice

Architecture applicant
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fatini999
Accepted at Cornell, the Cooper Union, and Southern California Inst. of Architecture.

Thrilled about Cornell because it's no.1 in the US for architecture, also thrilled about Cooper Union because its architecture school has a 3.5% acceptance rate and only accepts 25 per year.

Rejected at Harvard and Rice

Architecture applicant

Congratulations, is a USA architecture degree 7 years like the UK? If so you have plenty of time to enjoy the USA as well as rack up a bit of debt!
Which one are you thinking of going to? Cornell sounds amazing and please don't take this the wrong way, but I have heard that it is the easiest Ivy to get into, is this true. And how hard is it to get into, what we're your grades in UK systems and Sat/Subject tests as well as Exctra Curricula stuff?

So this means that one could get into Harvard with 2 subject tests even though it says you need three? Would thtee give you an advantage?
I am doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography for A Levels; which subject tests would you expect me to take, and also when would I take them as I am still unsure after looking into it?
Original post by elaras
If you can, sure. I struggled w subject tests because my subjects (humanities) vary so much depending on syllabus, unlike sciences which are more universal.

Yeah, I fear I'll suffer the whims and vagaries of the Literature SAT. I mean, how can poetry be reduced to multiple choice?

Which SAT II's did you take? - and congratulations on Chicago and Cambridge, btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by jakepds
So this means that one could get into Harvard with 2 subject tests even though it says you need three? Would thtee give you an advantage?
I am doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography for A Levels; which subject tests would you expect me to take, and also when would I take them as I am still unsure after looking into it?

I don't know where you've got the idea you need three for Harvard? You don't? You don't even NEED two any more - they've made them optional for people who can't afford the extra testing. I would take Math II and Physics if I were you.

Yeah, I fear I'll suffer the whims and vagaries of the Literature SAT. I mean, how can poetry be reduced to multiple choice?

Which SAT II's did you take? - and congratulations on Chicago and Cambridge, btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ommgggg don't the Lit SAT was the bane of my life because for a lot of the multiple choice options I felt like I probably could have made an arguement for them. I took Lit and Spanish - I actually found Spanish quite hard because I'm naturally good at speaking and writing myself, not fill in grammar exercises.
I read it on some application document on their website, but if three aren't needed then that's great.
You say to do Maths II but surely if I am doing this then I may as well do Maths I as well?
Also for Maths II I have read you need A2 knowledge, so when would you recommend doing these exams, when did you fit in all of the SATs and Subject tests around your A Levels?
Reply 112
Original post by jakepds
I read it on some application document on their website, but if three aren't needed then that's great.
You say to do Maths II but surely if I am doing this then I may as well do Maths I as well?
Also for Maths II I have read you need A2 knowledge, so when would you recommend doing these exams, when did you fit in all of the SATs and Subject tests around your A Levels?

I'm no expert on STEM stuff, but my understanding is that Math I is generally disregarded/seen as unnecessary if you do Math II (which is MUCH greatly preferred). Do your SATS asap tbh, then I would suggest late as poss for Subjects because then you're at a better subject standard. That's just my opinion tho, many ppl recommend doing them both early
What is STEM?
I was thinking of doing the SAT reasoning in March of year 12 (next year.) Would this be a good time to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so I am doing a set of STEM SUBJECTS?
Original post by jakepds
Congratulations, is a USA architecture degree 7 years like the UK? If so you have plenty of time to enjoy the USA as well as rack up a bit of debt!
Which one are you thinking of going to? Cornell sounds amazing and please don't take this the wrong way, but I have heard that it is the easiest Ivy to get into, is this true. And how hard is it to get into, what we're your grades in UK systems and Sat/Subject tests as well as Exctra Curricula stuff?

thanks hhhaa yeah i need to see how much aid i get! The Uk is 5 years of study and 2 years of work experience. In the US its 5 years of study (for these specific courses) and also 2 years of work expereince.

Cornell is the easiest Ivy yeah! Because its admitt rate is the highest out of them all at around 15%. But it's the best in the US for architecture which im very happy about! Dont worry i dont take that kind of thing the wrong way :P

I got at gcse

A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB

AS

AAAAB

A Level

A*AA
I think mine and your grades are quite similar, except you are taking an extra AS to me.
What were your extra curricula things like?
Original post by jakepds
I think mine and your grades are quite similar, except you are taking an extra AS to me.
What were your extra curricula things like?

you can check them out on my CV! I'll PM you
You have quite a few more things than me, however I am going to be doing 2 hours of volunteering a week three ugh sixth form, how much will this country for on my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending