The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whitelessflannel
St georges MMI was absolutely horrible- interviewers were not allowed to interact in any way.

Ive heard nots is more relaxed?

Original post by emmalou87
I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way about George's. I'm hoping notts is nicer too...

In my experience Notts was a far nicer interview. I found myself much less stressed by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
I do wonder if Sarb is subscribed to this thread... Email with interview details, and answers to a few of the above questions, incoming :wink:
Original post by fleur_de_haine
Without giving too much away, the stations are timed and a bell rung at the end, but the interviewers are certainly interactive and encouraging. I found it a far more pleasant/less nerve wracking experience than SGUL, and a good deal of people agree with me in that respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by fleur_de_haine
In my experience Notts was a far nicer interview. I found myself much less stressed by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the info. I feel infinitely better knowing that the interviewers aren't just going to sit there!
Original post by emmalou87
Thank you for the info. I feel infinitely better knowing that the interviewers aren't just going to sit there!

You're welcome, and the best of luck! They are honestly very friendly and try to get the best out of you.
Does anyone know how long the whole interview process will be? I know the email said the MMI was for 64 minutes, but will there be a welcome speech or anything like that? I'm booking my train and want to budget for any extras
Hey everyone! I have my interview on Thursday.

Does anyone know if we are all on a level playing field at this stage of the admissions process, or are our GAMSAT score and UCAS application still taken into consideration alongside performance at interview?

Good luck to everyone :-)
Reply 246
Original post by topsibelle
Hey everyone! I have my interview on Thursday.

Does anyone know if we are all on a level playing field at this stage of the admissions process, or are our GAMSAT score and UCAS application still taken into consideration alongside performance at interview?

Good luck to everyone :-)

We are on a level playing field. The rest of the application only comes in to it if they are deciding between two individuals with the same interview score on the wait list.
Good luck to everyone with interviews this week!

Mine is next week very nervous!
Original post by Zorg
We are on a level playing field. The rest of the application only comes in to it if they are deciding between two individuals with the same interview score on the wait list.

Thanks Zorg! I don't suppose you happen to know how their wait list works...? Is it a similar set-up to Swansea?
Reply 249
Original post by topsibelle
Thanks Zorg! I don't suppose you happen to know how their wait list works...? Is it a similar set-up to Swansea?

Notts provide detailed information regarding selection of candidates after your interview. Don't worry about it for now :wink:
Original post by Zorg
Notts provide detailed information regarding selection of candidates after your interview. Don't worry about it for now :wink:

Sweet! Thanks alot.
Still not sure about the work experience questionnaire we had to fill in. Was it sent to everyone who was going to get an interview because of the GAMSAT, and so will be used alongside our interview performance, or was it used to decide who was getting interviews and now being given an offer is based on interview performance alone?
Original post by amyyy24
Still not sure about the work experience questionnaire we had to fill in. Was it sent to everyone who was going to get an interview because of the GAMSAT, and so will be used alongside our interview performance, or was it used to decide who was getting interviews and now being given an offer is based on interview performance alone?

I think I'll just post this because it's not really confidential information, or any interview questions, just literally how they process things.

The information we received about how offers are made, said that all the interviewers essentially form a committee with a chair, and go through each candidate and discuss their suitability using all the evidence they have. Candidates are either suitable or unsuitable. If they are suitable, they are given a grade of A B or C. Offers are made to As before Bs and Bs before Cs. Within each interview grade, the candidates are ranked by GAMSAT score and places are given out. If the GAMSAT score is the same, average interview score is used.

The reason for a more complex offers system is because candidates need to be reasonable in all areas they look at, and candidates may provide evidence of different traits at different times in the interview and within their application in general. So all interviewers having the knowledge of all the evidence will lead to a fair vote.

That's how it works as far as I know and from how I understood the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 253
Original post by Gigabyte
I think I'll just post this because it's not really confidential information, or any interview questions, just literally how they process things.

The information we received about how offers are made, said that all the interviewers essentially form a committee with a chair, and go through each candidate and discuss their suitability using all the evidence they have. Candidates are either suitable or unsuitable. If they are suitable, they are given a grade of A B or C. Offers are made to As before Bs and Bs before Cs. Within each interview grade, the candidates are ranked by GAMSAT score and places are given out. If the GAMSAT score is the same, average interview score is used.

The reason for a more complex offers system is because candidates need to be reasonable in all areas they look at, and candidates may provide evidence of different traits at different times in the interview and within their application in general. So all interviewers having the knowledge of all the evidence will lead to a fair vote.

That's how it works as far as I know and from how I understood the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is there anywhere this information is available or was that on an open day?
Reply 254
They give you a letter with it all on after your interview.
Original post by Lxh524
is there anywhere this information is available or was that on an open day?

They gave it out post interview, in a letter. Interesting process they use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how many applicants were interviewed this year? I know it's all done now as far as I'm concerned but I can't resist trying to calculate what my chances of an offer are!
Original post by Jane1296
Does anyone know how many applicants were interviewed this year? I know it's all done now as far as I'm concerned but I can't resist trying to calculate what my chances of an offer are!

I think the chances are 1 in 3 but don't know the actual numbers
Original post by Gigabyte
I think the chances are 1 in 3 but don't know the actual numbers

Thanks. I've heard 1 in 2 from some sources as well!
Reply 259
250 interviews but I expect closer to 200 were interviewed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending