The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by games211
in high c02 concentration why is Rubp conc low?

Because there is more CO2, there is more CO2 fixation onto RuBP to form GP, which is converted to TP, so there will be a high conc of GP and TP.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Because there is more CO2, there is more CO2 fixation onto RuBP to form GP, which is converted to TP, so there will be a high conc of GP and TP.

so if there is higher conc of tp wont there be also a higher conc of rubp?
yeah we can do this woo
Give one way in which a mutation may have a neutral effect on the protein produced by a gene

I assume the rubp will be quickly fixed by co2 to an unstable 6 carbon compound and then is broken down into the gp, so the rubp levels will never rise very much
Original post by corey7695
I assume the rubp will be quickly fixed by co2 to an unstable 6 carbon compound and then is broken down into the gp, so the rubp levels will never rise very much

thanks
so why is rubp conc high in low conc of c02?
so confused :frown:(
(edited 9 years ago)

You need 5 molecules of TP to form 3RuBP, so I think the idea is that you need time for it to build up before it converts
thanks
so why is rubp conc high in low conc of c02?
so confused :frown:(

because the rubp cannot be fixed by carbon dioxide (or just very slowly), which is needed to convert it to gp, so it kinda just stays there with nowhere to go
You need 5 molecules of TP to form 3RuBP, so I think the idea is that you need time for it to build up before it converts

because the rubp cannot be fixed by carbon dioxide (or just very slowly), which is needed to convert it to gp, so it kinda just stays there with nowhere to go

thanks!!

I was thinking of the cycle finishing rather than starting, does that make sense?
(edited 9 years ago)
Wish my college taught the bigger bio unit first, got 11 units to go when we get back D:
Original post by AyCaramba
Wish my college taught the bigger bio unit first, got 11 units to go when we get back D:

woaaah!!!!! when do u go on study leave? apart from at the end of animal behaviour and the liver we have finished
thanks!!

I was thinking of the cycle finishing rather than starting, does that make sense?

yeah i get you, just always think of it as an actual cycle with one product always being formed by the previous one
is that Skype thing gonna happen that people were talking about? could be useful
Original post by Kell_
It's strange how the spec makes particular reference to ATP synthase in the note about chemiosmosis rather than that of oxidative phosphorylation?

"Outline the process of chemiosmosis, with reference to the electron transport chain, proton gradients and ATP synthase"

I wouldn't have felt it necessary to mention ATP synthase when talking solely about chemiosmosis, it's really just the generation of the pH gradient, right?

Actually for chemiosmosis to occur you need three things:

Two compartments with a proton impermeable membrane
A proton pump
ATPase/ATP Synthase

So you do need to mention ATP Synthase.
is that Skype thing gonna happen that people were talking about? could be useful

Everyone up for the skype thing, quote me!
Everyone up for the skype thing, quote me!

should we create a new thread?
should we create a new thread?

Sounds like a good idea. :smile: I'll do it!

thread is hurr.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by phoebc
woaaah!!!!! when do u go on study leave? apart from at the end of animal behaviour and the liver we have finished

Study leave stars June 2nd, you're scaring me now! We've done the first half of f215 and apparently the next half is quicker?
Sounds like a good idea. :smile: I'll do it!

thread is hurr.

it isn't opening in my browser:frown:
it isn't opening in my browser:frown:

Should work now :smile:
Original post by AyCaramba
Study leave stars June 2nd, you're scaring me now! We've done the first half of f215 and apparently the next half is quicker?

oh that's fine we start our study leave May 7th but since yours starts later you've got ages to finish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending