Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatGuyRik
3-ethylpentan-3-ol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does the 3 come from?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does the 3 come from?

Where the ethyl and alcohol groups are situated on the carbon chain.
Need help with question 1

Is BF3 - Trigonal planar as it has 3 electrons in it's outer shell and each flourine bring one. Which makes the angle 120 degrees.

I said that BF4- would be tetrahedral. The boron has gained an electron so now it has got 4 electrons around it's outer shell with the addition of four more from the flourine. No lone pairs so 109.5 degrees.

Not too sure on b. Like normally the answer to these questions are dative covalent bond. Which means I have misunderstood something about the ion.

(edited 9 years ago)
Hi has anyone done the ocr chemistry A quantitative on enthalpy it my only and last chance to get a decent grade, so if i could get some hints and tips that would be very much nice of anyone :smile:
Original post by erfanullah
Hi has anyone done the ocr chemistry A quantitative on enthalpy it my only and last chance to get a decent grade, so if i could get some hints and tips that would be very much nice of anyone :smile:

Are you sure it's quantitative? I've done the evaluative on enthalpy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Are you sure it's quantitative? I've done the evaluative on enthalpy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah im sure bro
Original post by erfanullah
Yeah im sure bro

Hmm don't know then, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone done JANUARY 2010 f322 ocr? Question 6g..... How can you tell using the mass spectrum whether the alcohol is propan-1-ol or propan-2-ol? surely they wouldn't show up as any different because a CH3+ fragment ion can form for both of them? Please helppppppp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
Anyone done JANUARY 2010 f322 ocr? Question 6g..... How can you tell using the mass spectrum whether the alcohol is propan-1-ol or propan-2-ol? surely they wouldn't show up as any different because a CH3+ fragment ion can form for both of them? Please helppppppp

Propan-1-ol is a primary alcohol, whereas Propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol. By identifying the organic product F produced via the oxidation of substance E using the infrared spectroscopy given to you, you can determine what type of alcohol E is, and so choose between the two.

This is because primary alcohols produce a different organic compound to secondary alcohols when oxidised in the presence of acified potassium dichromate. Primary alcohols produce aldehydes and then carboxylic acids, but secondary alcohols produce ketones.
Original post by lukejoshjames
Propan-1-ol is a primary alcohol, whereas Propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol. By identifying the organic product F produced via the oxidation of substance E using the infrared spectroscopy given to you, you can determine what type of alcohol E is, and so choose between the two.

This is because primary alcohols produce a different organic compound to secondary alcohols when oxidised in the presence of acified potassium dichromate. Primary alcohols produce aldehydes and then carboxylic acids, but secondary alcohols produce ketones.

Thank you so much! Is that the only way you could distinguish between them? there's no way you would know without the infrared spectrum shown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
Thank you so much! Is that the only way you could distinguish between them? there's no way you would know without the infrared spectrum shown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure there's no way, but I may be wrong.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Need help and guidance on how O would work this put.Please help.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Need help and guidance on how O would work this put.Please help.

H3PO4 and Calcium Oxide/hydroxide ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by binarythoughts
H3PO4 and Calcium Oxide/hydroxide ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It it would be really nice if you told me how to figure it out.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

It it would be really nice if you told me how to figure it out.

I was first checking if it was right.

I don't really have a method; just look at the parts of the product and try to have options for the reactants. The phosphate part of it comes from the phosphoric acid. Then you Calcium, so the most obvious bases with calcium are calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get the oxidation numbers for this molecule.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get the oxidation numbers for this molecule.

Uh that is actually confusing, do you have the question for that molecule so we can get a better sense of it?
Original post by Disney0702
Uh that is actually confusing, do you have the question for that molecule so we can get a better sense of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Sir.

Quick Reply

Latest