The Student Room Group

Woman who slapped her daughter at a concert is CONVICTED of assault.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3025174/In-dock-mum-slapped-hysterical-eight-year-old-daughter-One-Direction-gig.html

This article made me feel very uncomfortable, so parents aren't allowed to give their children a slap or a smack, now? Ridiculous. A short, sharp shock is what some youngsters really need sometimes to realise what they've done wrong. :/

What do you think, should the woman have been convicted? Should parents be allowed to "slap and grab" to gain control of their children?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I felt the actions of the parent were unreasonable.
Don't know enough.

Will trust the verdict.

Whilst I do think there are instances when getting physical to some degree is legitimate with your children, most of the time when I have witnessed it I would say it is completely unnecessary and borderline abusive.
(edited 8 years ago)
kid wouldn't be happy if she ended up getting kidnapped and raped after running away from her mother at a busy concert lol.
Reply 4
It's the DailyFail so I don't know what to believe.

If this is true, I don't support ever striking your child, but the punishment she got is wayyyyyy OTT.
Teaching a kid that a way to get control of a situation is violence is just deplorable in my opinion.

That said, it seems questionable that bad parenting is cause for being convicted. Reading that the kid is 8 years old changes it somewhat to abuse, which is the reason for the conviction rather than just plain bad parenting. Let alone once you read the woman was drunk.
I honestly don't know what goes through the mind of a person who thinks striking a child is acceptable. Hitting an adult is not acceptable and should be frowned upon, nevermind a child. The mother should have had a short time in prison. People who strike their children need educating on how to reason or put their point across without resorting to violence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3025174/In-dock-mum-slapped-hysterical-eight-year-old-daughter-One-Direction-gig.html

This article made me feel very uncomfortable, so parents aren't allowed to give their children a slap or a smack, now? Ridiculous. A short, sharp shock is what some youngsters really need sometimes to realise what they've done wrong. :/

What do you think, should the woman have been convicted? Should parents be allowed to "slap and grab" to gain control of their children?

This is completely ludicrous. Parents should be allowed to slap their child if they get out of control.
Reply 8
I was more interested in what concert she was at, tbh
Original post by Europhile
I honestly don't know what goes through the mind of a person who thinks striking a child is acceptable, nevermind a child. Hitting an adult is not acceptable and should be frowned upon. The mother should have had a short time in prison. People who strike their children need educating on how to reason or put their point across without resorting to violence.

Have you seen some children? :tongue:

What's your view on schools though? Do you think teachers should be able to hit children? If schools are not aloud why are parents any different?

Just curious since you want to be a primary school teacher (I think).

I also think 'grab' different to 'slap'#

There is obviously nothing wrong with forcefully yanking your kid away from the road when a car is zooming past.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd slap anyone who goes to 1D concerts :colone:

I think the bigger issue is the fact that she might've been drunk rather than the slap itself. Bringing alcohol in a water bottle to a concert means she might be an alcoholic, therefore yes her parenting might be a problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Have you seen some children? :tongue:

Yes, they're children and they're often immature because of it. This isn't an excuse to resort to violence.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What's your view on schools though? Do you think teachers should be able to hit children? If schools are not aloud why are parents any different?

Just curious since you want to be a primary school teacher (I think).

I also think 'grap' different to 'slap'#

There is obviously nothing wrong with forcefully yanking your kid away from the road when a car is zooming past.

Schools. I don't believe in corporal punishment there because, primarily, it's not their child. Parents effectively "own" (for want of a better word) their child, and it is up to them how they want to bring them up.

But *ChaoticButterfly*, that's teaching VIOLENCE! *exaggerated tut*
Original post by SiminaM
I'd slap anyone who goes to 1D concerts :colone:

I think the bigger issue is the fact that she might've been drunk rather than the slap itself. Bringing alcohol in a water bottle to a concert means she might be an alcoholic, therefore yes her parenting might be a problem.

Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of alcohol at a concert lol.

Some 1D songs are really good :puppyeyes:

I agree :tongue: I heard a couple that were good a while ago.
Original post by Europhile
Yes, they're children and they're often immature because of it. This isn't an excuse to resort to violence.

But they're at a crowded concert, meaning she is at risk of getting lost and getting into danger if she runs off.

Although bad, surely it's the better option?
It's also wrong to assume parents effectively 'own' their child for lack of a better word. The state actually owns a child from the point a birth certificate is created. That's why social services are legally allowed to remove a child. If a child has not been registered at birth then the child cannot be taken by social services. They have no legal right to do so. In reality, the state owns every child registered and parents are nothing more than legal guardians.
Original post by AdamCee
But they're at a crowded concert, meaning she is at risk of getting lost and getting into danger if she runs off. Although bad, surely it's the better option?

She is more likely to run off after being slapped by her mother than after being told off by her mother. Her mother should have let it go until they got home and then dealt with it as an adult. Instead, she let booze overcome her and acted in a violent manner. The mother actually risked escalating the situation as opposed to providing a solution.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of alcohol at a concert lol.

Please tell me you do see that it is worrying when a parent hides the fact that they drink alcohol. This alcohol in a water bottle thing screams alcoholism.
I think a short sharp jab to your face might be quite productive too. Oh wait, no that's absolute bull****, that would do nothing beneficial at all.

Suffice to say getting slapped didn't aid me. It didn't show me why what I was doing was wrong, especially when what you do is an accident. How can you get physically pounded in the face and ribs for accidentally breaking something? That's not moral. All it did was make me learn how to fight and also become aggressive with other people. I learnt that smashing people's faces in was a permissible way to behave if they detrimented me - even if they didn't MEAN to detriment me.

Terrible way to raise children and I shall not be raising my own that way.

Quick Reply

Latest