The Student Room Group

How long to learn D2

I am on Edexcel and I have focused almost all of my time on the Pure and Mechanics modules, not realising how big the D2 textbook is :eek:

By self-teaching, how long did it take you to cover it and get a respectable grade? (80+UMS). It is my last exam so I don't think I will be starting it until late May/ early June. I might get Livemaths to help as they seem to have tutorials for D2.

In comparison, how long did it take you to self-teach M2 and S2? I got lazy and have spent two weeks on M2 and I am yet to finish...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Etudiant
I am on Edexcel and I have focused almost all of my time on the Pure and Mechanics modules, not realising how big the D2 textbook is :eek:

By self-teaching, how long did it take you to cover it and get a respectable grade? (80+UMS). It is my last exam so I don't think I will be starting it until late May/ early June. I might get Livemaths to help as they seem to have tutorials for D2.

In comparison, how long did it take you to self-teach M2 and S2? I got lazy and have spent two weeks on M2 and I am yet to finish...

I did all the papers and learnt M2 in two weeks as it was my last exam last year with 2 weeks full revision for it! I got 100UMS in it so it is doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by physicsmaths
I did all the papers and learnt M2 in two weeks as it was my last exam last year with 2 weeks full revision for it! I got 100UMS in it so it is doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is reassuring but I won't have the opportunity to concentrate on only one module at a time because all of my exams are so close together :/

Have you done D2? May I also ask how long it took you to learn M1?
That is reassuring but I won't have the opportunity to concentrate on only one module at a time because all of my exams are so close together :/

Have you done D2? May I also ask how long it took you to learn M1?

We did M1 in class so it took 2 months ish. Couldve halved that easily but it was our first module so hadnt got the hang of thigs yet.
Also no I have not done D2 nor do I plan on doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by physicsmaths
We did M1 in class so it took 2 months ish. Couldve halved that easily but it was our first module so hadnt got the hang of thigs yet.
Also no I have not done D2 nor do I plan on doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! In that case may I ask how long you spent on average on the Core and Further Pure Units - would you say 3 weeks on each is normal for the later modules?
Cool! In that case may I ask how long you spent on average on the Core and Further Pure Units - would you say 3 weeks on each is normal for the later modules?

I kind of worked through them throughout the year except for FP1 where I just banged it out before for around 3 weeks re learning knowledge and pst papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Anybody else willing to disclose how long it took them to complete certain modules? :smile:
Anybody else willing to disclose how long it took them to complete certain modules? :smile:

In our further maths class, it took about 4-6 weeks per module.
Reply 8
Original post by keromedic
In our further maths class, it took about 4-6 weeks per module.

That sounds about right - how many hours of classes did you have a week? :smile:
That sounds about right - how many hours of classes did you have a week? :smile:

3. :smile:
I'm sure we learnt D2 in about 2-3 months at school, with about 4 hours a week.We usually went on and did other stuff that wasn't related, so I reckon it takes much less time to self teach, plus I think it has less content than D1, albeit slightly harder. I am on OCR btw

Quick Reply

Latest