The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FN510
I'm going through the Ch.2 mixed exercise... WTF?

Ive been thinking the same- some of these Q's are incredibly more difficult than the examples or the previous exercises

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Only got Chapter 2 left now! Seems straightforward but everyone seems to be worrying about loci so :s-smilie:

Is this everyone's last exam?
Reply 22
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Ive been thinking the same- some of these Q's are incredibly more difficult than the examples or the previous exercises

And the solutions aren't the best IMO
Reply 23
Original post by Navo D.
Only got Chapter 2 left now! Seems straightforward but everyone seems to be worrying about loci so :s-smilie:

Yeah, I've got it back-to-back with S2! How's matricies?
Reply 24
Original post by Navo D.

What do you find hardest about vectors?

I don't find the loci in FP3 that hard, it's mainly just using algebra to prove that you can express a function in the form of an ellipse/hyperbola and hey presto
Reply 25
Original post by FN510
Yeah, I've got it back-to-back with S2! How's matricies?

Thank god I did S2 last year :tongue: Matrices is pretty straightforward actually, def not as hard as I was expecting. The problem is that I still don't understand WHY we're meant to follow these strict set of operations on matrices - the book should include more on linear algebra and why they work etc

Original post by Elcor
What do you find hardest about vectors?

I don't find the loci in FP3 that hard, it's mainly just using algebra to prove that you can express a function in the form of an ellipse/hyperbola and hey presto

The last bit of the chapter with shortest distance etc still isn't intuitive to me, hopefully I'll internalise it soon!

Can't wait for some algebra bashing :colone:
There doesn't seem like much to go through with differentiation and integration, especially since the formula booklet already tells you most of the formulae (except what integration by reduction is).
Reply 27
Original post by simonli2575
There doesn't seem like much to go through with differentiation and integration, especially since the formula booklet already tells you most of the formulae (except what integration by reduction is).

I'm just hoping that I can spot the trick for rearranging/rewriting the reduction expression in the exam :tongue:
Original post by Navo D.
I'm just hoping that I can spot the trick for rearranging/rewriting the reduction expression in the exam :tongue:

Part of me's hoping to wing it, and the other part of me's hoping to learn it. :tongue:
At the very least, I think it involves integration by part, and that the first part of it will always result in zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Part of me's hoping to wing it, and the other part of me's hoping to learn it. :tongue:
At the very least, I think it involves integration by part, and that the first part of it will always result in zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found some of the book questions very difficult, Ex. 4F Q11 had me stumped! Hopefully nothing like that shows up.
Original post by Navo D.
I found some of the book questions very difficult, Ex. 4F Q11 had me stumped! Hopefully nothing like that shows up.

I only got it on my second trial. But yeah, it wasn't really obvious even when the formula is given.
Reply 31
Original post by Navo D.

Yeah, same. Allow the ones which require integration twice
If you need to find the surface area or volume by revolution if the curve's rotated pi radians about the x/y axis (instead of 2pi), do you just replace the 2pi's in the formulae with pi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by BP_Tranquility
If you need to find the surface area or volume by revolution if the curve's rotated pi radians about the x/y axis (instead of 2pi), do you just replace the 2pi's in the formulae with pi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Navo D.

Posted from TSR Mobile

An old post, but I just thought that I'd add that in last year's FP3 exam, the reduction formula question actually required that you did the opposite of reduction in order to solve the question i.e they gave you I2, and you need to use I3 in order to answer the question. It's not always a case of pure reduction. I have never seen this use of reduction formulae in any other question before, and this one had a lot of people (including myself) stumped last year.

Just keep this in mind.
Reply 35
Urgh completely forgotten reduction formulae methods -.- by parts isn't working
Reply 36
Could someone put me on the right track please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Could someone put me on the right track please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've seen something similar in the 2011 paper.
Try integration by parts, keeping x^n constant and integrating with respect to (1+x)^1/2, then separate (1+x)^1.5 into (1+x)^1*(1+x)^1/2 in the next integral.
Reply 38
I think I've seen something similar in the 2011 paper.
Try integration by parts, keeping x^n constant and integrating with respect to (1+x)^1/2, then separate (1+x)^1.5 into (1+x)^1*(1+x)^1/2 in the next integral.

I tried something to that effect... what next?
Original post by Elcor
I tried something to that effect... what next?

Then expand the bracket of (1+x)^1 so the integral could be expressed in terms of InandIn1I_n and I_{n-1}
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending