The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just firmed UCL! Does anyone have some advise on how to stop being bitter about not getting an offer from LSE? The rejection is killing me especially since my two best friends got offers from LSE and I am terribly jealous lmao
Reply 3541
Original post by heyfran
Just firmed UCL! Does anyone have some advise on how to stop being bitter about not getting an offer from LSE? The rejection is killing me especially since my two best friends got offers from LSE and I am terribly jealous lmao

You'll have a better social life, you won't be far from them to meet up, you'll have more fun and the difference in career opportunity is marginal. UCL offers a wider range of degrees so you'll meet a wide range of people
Original post by User25
You'll have a better social life, you won't be far from them to meet up, you'll have more fun and the difference in career opportunity is marginal. UCL offers a wider range of degrees so you'll meet a wide range of people

Thanks for the heads up!!
Original post by heyfran

If you're one of the lucky few at UCL you get to go on a year abroad to US unis (some of which are Ivy League!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
If you're one of the lucky few at UCL you get to go on a year abroad to US unis (some of which are Ivy League!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although I've firmed LSE this is one of the things I am suuuuuper jealous about for those going to UCL!!!!
Reply 3545
Help please!!

Basically UCAS went a bit **** this year.. Probably going to firm Nottingham..

If i get A*A*A ill probably take a gap year..

I think that if I get A*A*A Warwick and UCL should hopefully give me a place. But its unlikely LSE/Oxford would give me an offer...

My question is: is the jump from Nottingham to UCL/Warwick large enough to justify taking a gap year? Thanks.
Original post by ndhala
Help please!!

Basically UCAS went a bit **** this year.. Probably going to firm Nottingham..

If i get A*A*A ill probably take a gap year..

I think that if I get A*A*A Warwick and UCL should hopefully give me a place. But its unlikely LSE/Oxford would give me an offer...

My question is: is the jump from Nottingham to UCL/Warwick large enough to justify taking a gap year? Thanks.

Not so much.. Notts can get people into IB/Law as well as into other things It's just below the top 5 (as in 6th) so the difference is marginal. Unless you really want to go to UCL/Warwick I wouldn't really see the point.

Obviously, if you want another shot I'd say go ahead! I'm toying with the idea of applying to Oxford (had a **** year last year because of extenuating circumstances) as a first year at Notts, given I get the requisite grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've received an offer to study Internatiinal Political Economy at City University London. Has anyone else received any offers, yet? :smile:
Do you reckon this is accurate for Econ as of 2015:
1. Oxbridge (with Cambridge having the edge).
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham
6. Bristol
7. Nottingham
8. Bath
9. Exeter
10. St Andrews
Original post by Economics96
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham
6. Bristol
7. Nottingham
8. Bath
9. Exeter
10. St Andrews

I think York is better than St Andrews and possibly Exeter and Bath; and probably swap Notts and Bristol
Original post by Economics96
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham
6. Bristol
7. Nottingham
8. Bath
9. Exeter
10. St Andrews

Swap St Andrews and Exeter?
Finally firmed Oxford after a cruel rejection from Warwick. Didn't even email to tell me why... :biggrin:
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
Finally firmed Oxford after a cruel rejection from Warwick. Didn't even email to tell me why... :biggrin:

Warwick have been so weird this year :holmes:

Where are you insuring? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Warwick have been so weird this year :holmes:

Where are you insuring? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Insured Bristol on the off chance they'd accept me on lower grades, but it's A*AA for both. What's your plan?
Insured Bristol on the off chance they'd accept me on lower grades, but it's A*AA for both. What's your plan?

I've insured Warwick which is a*aa and firmed Cambridge which is also a*as, although maths a level isn't included in the latter :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I've insured Warwick which is a*aa and firmed Cambridge which is also a*as, although maths a level isn't included in the latter :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, that's annoying. At least it isn't A*A*A, I have friends who got offers like that for Cambridge (not for Econ though). Gives them so little margin for error.
Just wondering what topics are covered in Furthered Maths. (I'm from North America so just wanted to know the difference between Furthered Maths and AP Calculus AB)
Original post by meow1489
Just wondering what topics are covered in Furthered Maths. (I'm from North America so just wanted to know the difference between Furthered Maths and AP Calculus AB)

It's split into these main divisions: decision maths, pure mathematics, statistics and mechanics.

People generally choose a combination of pure mathematics with one or two of the other applied maths modules.

It also greatly depends on the exam board, for AQA it is as follows for pure maths:

Algebra and Graphs
Complex Numbers Roots and Coefficients of a quadratic equation Series Calculus
Numerical Methods
Trigonometry Matrices and Transformations

Roots of Polynomials
Complex Numbers
De Moivre’s Theorem
Proof by Induction
Finite Series
The Calculus of Inverse Trigonometrical Functions
Hyperbolic Functions
Arc Length and Area of surface of revolution about the x-axis

Series and Limits Polar Coordinates Differential Equations Differential Equations First Order Differential Equations Second Order

Vectors and Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry Matrix Algebra Solution of Linear Equations Determinants Linear Independence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else for Industrial Economics at Nottingham?
Damn, that's annoying. At least it isn't A*A*A, I have friends who got offers like that for Cambridge (not for Econ though). Gives them so little margin for error.

Yeah true A*A*A would be such a nightmare especially if you only take 3 subjects with 4 it'd be a bit of leeway

You looking forward to Oxford? I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending