The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
It's split into these main divisions: decision maths, pure mathematics, statistics and mechanics.

People generally choose a combination of pure mathematics with one or two of the other applied maths modules.

It also greatly depends on the exam board, for AQA it is as follows for pure maths:

Algebra and Graphs
Complex Numbers Roots and Coefficients of a quadratic equation Series Calculus
Numerical Methods
Trigonometry Matrices and Transformations

Roots of Polynomials
Complex Numbers
De Moivre’s Theorem
Proof by Induction
Finite Series
The Calculus of Inverse Trigonometrical Functions
Hyperbolic Functions
Arc Length and Area of surface of revolution about the x-axis

Series and Limits Polar Coordinates Differential Equations Differential Equations First Order Differential Equations Second Order

Vectors and Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry Matrix Algebra Solution of Linear Equations Determinants Linear Independence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Looks like there's some extra studying I have to do before I start my first year!
Original post by meow1489
Just wondering what topics are covered in Furthered Maths. (I'm from North America so just wanted to know the difference between Furthered Maths and AP Calculus AB)

Depending on where you're going lots of people won't have any further maths knowledge, where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! Looks like there's some extra studying I have to do before I start my first year!

Yeah, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! Unless its Cambridge, Warwick, or LSE you're going to (maybe more i'm not too sure) the majority of people won't have taken Further Maths. So, don't go too crazy! :tongue:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Depending on where you're going lots of people won't have any further maths knowledge, where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Warwick for Economics :smile:

I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First year is 1/3 Economics, 1/3 Management, 1/3 Finance. Next two years there's 3 compulsory Econ, 2 Management and 3 optionals from a range of Econ/Management/Finance modules etc... so kinda like an undergrad MBA.
I'm going to Warwick for Economics :smile:

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of people won't have done further maths as Warwick so as long as you've covered standard a level topics you'll be on a level playing field

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
First year is 1/3 Economics, 1/3 Management, 1/3 Finance. Next two years there's 3 compulsory Econ, 2 Management and 3 optionals from a range of Econ/Management/Finance modules etc... so kinda like an undergrad MBA.

Glad I decided on Cambridge then, you could end up doing less than half your degree in economics with that right?
Yeah true A*A*A would be such a nightmare especially if you only take 3 subjects with 4 it'd be a bit of leeway

You looking forward to Oxford? I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm tentatively excited, but obviously a little apprehensive about the workload.

It's meant to be roughly 50/50 Economics and Management but there's a lot of personalisation available. Fortunately I find both sides interesting, but I hear quite a few apply to avoid the maths of the Cambridge course :biggrin:
Reply 3567
Already firmed Notts for striaght econ, but wonder what's the chance for wawick or ucl being available in adjustment
My offer from Notts is AABB which I think I should be able to exceed that.
Also which uni would you choose between durham and notts (in case durham is in adjustment as well)?
Original post by FMW96
Already firmed Notts for striaght econ, but wonder what's the chance for wawick or ucl being available in adjustment
Also which uni would you choose between durham and notts (in case durham is in adjustment as well)?

The difference is negligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad I decided on Cambridge then, you could end up doing less than half your degree in economics with that right?

Pretty much. I guess it depends on what you want out of your education. A 'Top 5' less-mathsy option also appeals to some, who get intimidated by Greek symbols.
Original post by FMW96

Sorry to say, but it's (almost) unheard of to have Warwick/UCL in adjustment.
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
I'm tentatively excited, but obviously a little apprehensive about the workload.

It's meant to be roughly 50/50 Economics and Management but there's a lot of personalisation available. Fortunately I find both sides interesting, but I hear quite a few apply to avoid the maths of the Cambridge course :biggrin:

That's good, I had a practice interview with a guy doing it at Oxford and he seemed very keen on the course so you'll have a good time 😁
Original post by FMW96

I don't think you're likely to get any of those in adjustment tbh so you should just stick with Nottingham plus some people will have had a*aa offers so it's a decent course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FMW96

Durham has the edge over Nottingham for economics (although the difference is small). Thinks its unheard of for Durham to be in adjustment though - I read somewhere that the following unis are unsurprisingly never in adjustment, clearing etc: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, and Durham - also very rare for Warwick to be in.

Stick with Notts, its still a quality uni:biggrin:
I'm really unsure where to pick, I've got offers from Durham, Nottingham & Edinburgh for L100 econ. I'm not sure which is really best, is there much difference between Durham & Nottingham/Edinburgh?

Also, how do people think management Bsc at LSE stacks up against my other options in terms of prospects, prestige etc. IS TRADING ECON FOR MANAGEMENT A GOOD IDEA? This decision is genuinely running my life right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing as the Oxbridge, law and medicine threads are up and running for the 2015 cycle I figured it's probably about time for the economics thread. This thread can be used for anything related to applying for economics in 2015, including what you think you'll get and where you want to apply :smile:
Personally I'm hoping to go to warwick. :smile:

Here's the economics university connect page (new stalking page) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/economics

Wheres Manchester on the list?
Original post by Audi
I'm really unsure where to pick, I've got offers from Durham, Nottingham & Edinburgh for L100 econ. I'm not sure which is really best, is there much difference between Durham & Nottingham/Edinburgh?

Also, how do people think management Bsc at LSE stacks up against my other options in terms of prospects, prestige etc. IS TRADING ECON FOR MANAGEMENT A GOOD IDEA? This decision is genuinely running my life right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not much difference between Notts and Durham but there is a bit of a gap between them and Edinburgh.

Depends, if you really want to study econ, then do econ. Conversely, if you just want good job prospects and don't mind doing management - LSE is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not much difference between Notts and Durham but there is a bit of a gap between them and Edinburgh.

Depends, if you really want to study econ, then do econ. Conversely, if you just want good job prospects and don't mind doing management - LSE is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the prospects from LSE management are more than Durham econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi
Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the prospects from LSE management are more than Durham econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's LSE, firms will be scouting around every single day looking for talent. Your degree choice will not influence the 'prosepcts' (a very silly phrase) you have.
Your degree choice will not influence the 'prosepcts' (a very silly phrase) you have.

Not necessarily true. Some jobs may require or have a preference towards certain disciplines. Although saying that 95% of jobs out there are unspecified wrt degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3579
Thoughts about Bristol? How is the course different from LSE/UCL/Warwick and where is it in terms of prestige? Also the life of the uni compared to these three?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending