The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Quilverine
I had decided to take a break from applying after two cycles of solid rejections... but err have found myself thinking about UKCAT prep. I think I may apply every year until I'm accepted. Hoping the grad funding prospects improve for 2017 or 18. Not holding any hope for 2016 having a better scheme than this year.

Don't give up be positive!! This September will be my first time applying and I'm terrified already, so I can't imagine how you feel after doing it twice. But stay positive! You will get in! Maybe you're applying to the wrong places?

I wish funding would be announced. I spoke to finance at Warwick and they said they have no idea what will happen and not to expect anything until after GE . I want to know now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 321
Guys I really need some advice as I'm at an absolute loss as to what I should do with my life. I applied to medicine wheb I waa 18 and got in. I missed my offer so reapplied during a gap year when I resat my alevels. I didn't get in so did a pharmacy degree and applied last year in my final year. My ukcat was really really low so I got 4 pre interview rejections. I then applied this year and did gamsat bmat and ukcat. I didn't do well on either of them at all, my gamsat was absolutely woeful (53 average) but I managed to get an interview at one university. I honestly thought my interview went well but was rejected yesterday. I remember being so happy about that interview that it felt 100x better than the day that I got my degree result. I am absolutely heartbroken and devastated and just do not know how to move forward!! I work in a hospital and know I want to do medicine - it's all I ever wanted - but where am I meant to find the energy to go through this application process again. I broke down twice over getting the post interview rejection this year because i know that i can't keep doing this to myself. Should I even be thinking about a reapplication right now when I'm feeling so devastated
I can say 101 things but it's not going to make you feel better instantly. But like I replied to the other post earlier. Sometimes our time isn't the right time. The biggest thing you need with any career is perseverance.
Apply again accept this time your not going to wait around to hear whether or not you have an offer. You are going to live your life, enjoy yourself do all the things you have time to do now rather than dwell on what could have been.

Use this time to your advantage because your not going too get it back. Then I guarantee next time you have a interview you will shine because your confident would have grown through the experiences you face.

Trust me we have all been there but giving up is never the answer, you just need to keep ploughing through.

Best of luck! As I always tell myself it's only for a season. Things will get better x
Original post by MJK91
Remember you from the last two cycles. Finally got an interview this time! But not holding out much either haha. I think you should pursue it if it means so much to you :smile:

Original post by tw781
Don't give up be positive!! This September will be my first time applying and I'm terrified already, so I can't imagine how you feel after doing it twice. But stay positive! You will get in! Maybe you're applying to the wrong places?

I wish funding would be announced. I spoke to finance at Warwick and they said they have no idea what will happen and not to expect anything until after GE . I want to know now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys. Good luck to you both :smile:

I have realised this year would not have been good anyway, my daughter just started school and I have found an amazing job that fits around her day, uses my degree and will come with lots of patient interaction. I'm sure my time working in postgraduate medical education will help future applications too. Going to focus on home life rather than accumulating point scorers for the UCAS form.

I am limited about where I can apply due to slightly dodgy A Levels and obscure degree. Warwick and Barts are my two top choices but now Leicester has to be scrapped and I'm not sure what to replace it with. Maybe Newcastle and Kings if I properly nail the UKCAT (unlikely). Too poor for the GAMSAT this year too and not feeling confident re: chemistry component yet.

On a happier note I'm doing really well in my MSc, super happy with my grades :biggrin:
Reply 324
I finally got a reply from KCL regarding whether psychology is considered a "science degree". They said no. Despite my degree having so much biology, some chem and maths in. If I send my transcripts then they will look at if it has "both biology and chemistry" to the right standard. I'm so annoyed, so they can consider engineering which doesn't have any biology in, but they reiterate "both" to me. Ugh. One choice gone :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jatyization
Hey everyone. I am medicine applicant with a back up choice of Biomed at Cardiff for GEM entry as a back up plan. I just wanted to ask, Is it seen as favourable to have worked as a biomedical scientist for 1-2 years before applying? I was just wondering, since that gives you more experience working in the NHS. :biggrin:

I also wanted to ask, How many times did you apply before getting in? :smile:

Thanks!

Not at all looked at favourably, but not unfavourably either. Depends on your experience elsewhere. If you can get long term voluntary caring experience, that will look much better to GEPs.

GEM is going through a little uncertainty period so I wouldn't, currently, rely on it being around in it's current form (or at all) by the time you graduate. Please bear that in mind if you haven't already considered a gap year or resitting/reapplying.

Best of luck for your current application though. By the way, this is my third attempt to give some indication of how competitive it is even with a 1st and, by most accounts, decent admissions scores.
Reply 326
Original post by tw781
I finally got a reply from KCL regarding whether psychology is considered a "science degree". They said no. Despite my degree having so much biology, some chem and maths in. If I send my transcripts then they will look at if it has "both biology and chemistry" to the right standard. I'm so annoyed, so they can consider engineering which doesn't have any biology in, but they reiterate "both" to me. Ugh. One choice gone :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going to email them. Sigh.
A bit funny that our degree is considered a science http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/index/name/psychology/alpha/P/header_search/
(edited 9 years ago)
Is anyone else here graduating this year? I'm planning on working as soon as I graduate (if I can get a job!) but it seems HCA vacancies are hard to come by near home (I'm not sure I'd be able to afford to move away from home), so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to improve my application. :/
Reply 328
Original post by Alexdaman93
Is anyone else here graduating this year? I'm planning on working as soon as I graduate (if I can get a job!) but it seems HCA vacancies are hard to come by near home (I'm not sure I'd be able to afford to move away from home), so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to improve my application. :/

Try looking for carer jobs? Failing that, you could set up some long term volunteering.

If you plan on taking them GAMSAT you might want to start revising for that (if you haven't already).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 329
Original post by Jatyization
Hey, I have a question :smile:

Why is it benefical to work as a HCA? Would it not be benefical to work in the field you have your degree if it involved patient contact?

I think lots of people go for HCA because, as you alluded to, it's great experience in a clinical setting with a load of patient context. I think it's benefits to an application are fairly obvious.

That being said, I know many people who have worked in a completely different, non-medical field who have successfully been accepted into GEM. HCA is certainly not the be all and end all. A fair amount of work experience, reflected on well at interview is really what you need.

Personally, I'll be getting a HCA job when I graduate; not only because it's fantastic experience, but I think I'll really enjoy it.
Original post by liam__
I think lots of people go for HCA because, as you alluded to, it's great experience in a clinical setting with a load of patient context. I think it's benefits to an application are fairly obvious.

That being said, I know many people who have worked in a completely different, non-medical field who have successfully been accepted into GEM. HCA is certainly not the be all and end all. A fair amount of work experience, reflected on well at interview is really what you need.

Personally, I'll be getting a HCA job when I graduate; not only because it's fantastic experience, but I think I'll really enjoy it.

Hey :smile:

Have you already started applying for HCA jobs? Or are you planning on applying to it after graduation?

I'm also graduating this year (Biomed grad). Hoping to either apply to lab jobs in the hospital while gaining patient-contact volunteering or maybe HCA jobs. Also considering doing a Masters.

:smile:
Reply 331
Original post by calmsmile93
Hey :smile:

Have you already started applying for HCA jobs? Or are you planning on applying to it after graduation?

I'm also graduating this year (Biomed grad). Hoping to either apply to lab jobs in the hospital while gaining patient-contact volunteering or maybe HCA jobs. Also considering doing a Masters.

:smile:

Hey, I plan to start as a HCA in September after the GAMSAT. I was advised by a few people on this forum to start applying in May. I'm under the impression the application process can be fairly drawn out due to the DBS checks.
Original post by liam__
Hey, I plan to start as a HCA in September after the GAMSAT. I was advised by a few people on this forum to start applying in May. I'm under the impression the application process can be fairly drawn out due to the DBS checks.

Ah ok. Best of luck with the HCA applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
HCA work is great but don't think you must have it. I needed a job that paid a decent wage to be able to afford to study the course so worked in an admin based role instead. It's more what you have learnt from your experiences than what you have done. Good luck.
Original post by M150
HCA work is great but don't think you must have it. I needed a job that paid a decent wage to be able to afford to study the course so worked in an admin based role instead. It's more what you have learnt from your experiences than what you have done. Good luck.

Ah thanks! Yeah I'd like a job with a decent wage also. Need to do some research on how to spend this coming year! It sounds like you have gained acceptance into med school. If this is true, hope you don't mind me asking, what medical school are you going to? :smile:
Original post by MJK91
Not at all looked at favourably, but not unfavourably either. Depends on your experience elsewhere. If you can get long term voluntary caring experience, that will look much better to GEPs.

GEM is going through a little uncertainty period so I wouldn't, currently, rely on it being around in it's current form (or at all) by the time you graduate. Please bear that in mind if you haven't already considered a gap year or resitting/reapplying.

Best of luck for your current application though. By the way, this is my third attempt to give some indication of how competitive it is even with a 1st and, by most accounts, decent admissions scores.

What is the degree in and what experience do you have bro?
Spoke to my programme leader at uni and writing me a reference for my application. Starting to get really real. :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
What is the degree in and what experience do you have bro?

Biomed, and about 2 years volunteering at a hospital. I work in a hospital with a semi-patient facing role, and have had the chance to go abroad and work for a while too. Also have care experience at home.

The reason I didn't get in is because I missed cutoffs each of my previous two years. If I were an undergraduate applicant I'd likely have had 12 interviews in 3 years rather than just one!
Original post by MJK91
Biomed, and about 2 years volunteering at a hospital. I work in a hospital with a semi-patient facing role, and have had the chance to go abroad and work for a while too. Also have care experience at home.

The reason I didn't get in is because I missed cutoffs each of my previous two years. If I were an undergraduate applicant I'd likely have had 12 interviews in 3 years rather than just one!

Awesome experience! :smile: Keep at it!
What do you mean by missing the cutoffs; with regards to entrance exam or...?
Original post by hellodave5
Awesome experience! :smile: Keep at it!
What do you mean by missing the cutoffs; with regards to entrance exam or...?

Yeah entrance exams. I am not a fan..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending