The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

potential 2nd/FA Cup? i'd take it. we're more than that though..... Jose won't slip up, his footballing philosohy won't allow that...

just happy we're playing well. i don't believe in ifs and buts, but had we beate Spurs, City at home, and Leicester, Swansea, Liverpool away, we would have been top by now. but what's done is done.

Arsene still has to go though....he's just a top four/Cup manager now, we're more than that.
Original post by leinad2012
Last season you were poor but I wouldn't exactly say you were better this season up until a few games ago, I doubt very many in your fan base would disagree.

I'm just stating what your own fans had been saying until february

Most of our fan base would disagree. The only ones saying that were the kneejerkers like Eboracum and Depleted who overreact to everything and had already forgotten what last season was like.
Whilst I don't want to be the dick that spoils the party, we were on exactly the same number of points after 31 games last season...

Are we actually improving or is everyone else getting worse?

you make a good point...we're static. only positives have been Coq and our attacking players are doing well. and all of them, Santi, Ozil, Sanchez and Giroud which many still reckon is ****.
I think the PL is stronger mid table than it was last season, pretty weak at either end. Entire top half have been quite competitive.
Original post by al_94
I don't like MOTD I think the BPL is inferior to Bundesliga and La Liga I only watch Arsenal in BPL

...very relevant to my point lol :tongue: great to know though.

Original post by Stefano93
If bitey boy was still playing for the scousers would have been a different score really

Look at us, after years of bull**** when we finally beat a rival convincingly in the prem we're so darn lovely about it.

What failure does to ya is unbelievable. It's okay to be happy guys don't worry.
Or maybe I'm just a bit too positive :sad:
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Metersackers decline and losing sagna is the reason for that. I can't believe this time last year I was arguing that mertesacker should get player of the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not the worst thing you could have said. Mertesacker probably was in top 5 of CB's last season.

Original post by difeo
Most of our fan base would disagree. The only ones saying that were the kneejerkers like Eboracum and Depleted who overreact to everything and had already forgotten what last season was like.

I thought Depleted stopped watching football last season? can't remember if true or if it was some one else
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
...very relevant to my point lol :tongue: great to know though.

Look at us, after years of bull**** when we finally beat a rival convincingly in the prem we're so darn lovely about it.

What failure does to ya is unbelievable. It's okay to be happy guys don't worry.

It's more so because there are hardly the same amount of Liverpool posters now as there were last year. We got WUM'd the most because our thread was the most active last season
Suarez didn't even score against Arsenal last season, or Chelsea, or City. #flattrackbully
We're making progress in areas and beating big teams, but we're prone to injuries and when they hit we're done for. Very easy to lose 10-15 points in an injury patch if you have 4 or 5 players out.

We need more depth in key areas to compete. Chelsea may not have many defenders (6 I believe) but all 6 are pretty excellent in most defensive roles, its what Sagna helped with over the years, the ability for a fullback to play CB competently is crucial.

Today showed why we need a new keeper, Ospina is midtable standard, tbf I'd be able to score a pen against him the guy is tiny. Forster or Cech in the summer please (maybe a cheeky bid for Lloris).

Still think a new cb is needed and cdm and St or winger but todays helped to heal some of the wounds from last season.

Although if I'm honest, we've beaten a **** United team, a weakened city team and a weakened Liverpool, the big test is whether we can be at Chelsea
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

I thought Depleted stopped watching football last season? can't remember if true or if it was some one else

Sounds like something he'd say but don't think he actually did. Certainly not for more than a couple of games
Original post by difeo

No every united fan I know has been saying it. Interesting how you judge our supporters based on the Wenger in/outers but we cant apply the same logic to your fans...
Original post by difeo
Sounds like something he'd say but don't think he actually did. Certainly not for more than a couple of games

Yeah but I remember him disappearing then coming back at the end of the season for MISC haha. Think he was focusing on his work though.
Original post by The Shed End
Suarez didn't even score against Arsenal last season, or Chelsea, or City. #flattrackbully

Is Giroud still a flat track bully sheddy?
We're making progress in areas and beating big teams, but we're prone to injuries and when they hit we're done for. Very easy to lose 10-15 points in an injury patch if you have 4 or 5 players out.

We need more depth in key areas to compete. Chelsea may not have many defenders (6 I believe) but all 6 are pretty excellent in most defensive roles, its what Sagna helped with over the years, the ability for a fullback to play CB competently is crucial.

Today showed why we need a new keeper, Ospina is midtable standard, tbf I'd be able to score a pen against him the guy is tiny. Forster or Cech in the summer please (maybe a cheeky bid for Lloris).

Still think a new cb is needed and cdm and St or winger but todays helped to heal some of the wounds from last season.

Although if I'm honest, we've beaten a **** United team, a weakened city team and a weakened Liverpool, the big test is whether we can be at Chelsea

Isn't Forster injured for the rest of the season? I keep telling my self that Cech would never happen but Mourinho's recently said that he'd be willing to let Cech go where he wishes. Arsenal would provide first team football so it's not exactly out of question but the reality is he'll probably go into another league. We have 4 CB's for next season. Gabriel and Koscielny to start with Merte being our senior back up, Chambers being our 4th choice with more experience under his belt. CDM and winger is a must. I'd love a new striker but chances of that are really slim. We'll probably buy a LB, AM and set up shop
No every united fan I know has been saying it. Interesting how you judge our supporters based on the Wenger in/outers but we cant apply the same logic to your fans...

Can't speak for ones you know irl but on TSR it was literally just the two I mentioned plus possibly sr90 who were saying that. And when did I judge your support based on those fans?
Original post by difeo
Can't speak for ones you know irl but on TSR it was literally just the two I mentioned plus possibly sr90 who were saying that. And when did I judge your support based on those fans?

Sr has said it plenty of times too as has drew iirc.

The last bit was a generalisation I'll be honest, seems like every opposing fan comes on here and judges the entire fan base off certain individuals. We all do it. Although I'm sure I could find a quite of you saying something generalising us if I could be bothered
Original post by AR_95
Isn't Forster injured for the rest of the season? I keep telling my self that Cech would never happen but Mourinho's recently said that he'd be willing to let Cech go where he wishes. Arsenal would provide first team football so it's not exactly out of question but the reality is he'll probably go into another league. We have 4 CB's for next season. Gabriel and Koscielny to start with Merte being our senior back up, Chambers being our 4th choice with more experience under his belt. CDM and winger is a must. I'd love a new striker but chances of that are really slim. We'll probably buy a LB, AM and set up shop

Forster would help the home grown number increase but I question how much of an improvement he is. Agree on Cech but I could see Lloris happening strangely, he's got no real ties to Tottenham tbh.
Chambers isn't a good enough 4th option IMO, especially as 4th option is guaranteed to play at least 10 games for us.
Lb is completely unecessay right now, Gibbs and Monreal have both been good. An am like Sterling who can play in all 4 positions up top is inviting but I'd rather a Lacazette or Pedro tbh
first time for everything....we can beat Jose at our place, no problem.
Wenger has never got the better of Mourinho. Maybe it'll change but i doubt it. I think it'll be a draw between Chelsea and Arsenal and they'll probably virtually seal the title there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95

We'd be able to offer Cech top wages, Champions League football, and the chance to win more trophies...

It sounds like Cech would take a move to us as well

Latest