The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

why can't these people be happy/satisfied that people are getting educated in various ways and they actually have the choice and opportunity.
Original post by Associativity
A levels and Btecs both have their advantages, I think Btecs are actually more appropriate in more practical subjects like ICT. However bear in mind that at uni, whilst this may differ slightly between courses/unis, on my course coursework accounts for at MOST 50% of the module, usually only 25. In fact, one module had no coursework at all. That is a degree in maths, maybe other courses would have more, but you're certainly not going to escape exams at uni. My guess is that unis like A levels because they know you can pass exams, are disciplined enough to revise ect.

As for which is harder, I would personally go with A levels, since you can't take your notes, books or the internet into an exam, yet you can look at all that whilst you're doing your coursework. That doesn't mean btecs are any less work though, there's a fair amount of courseworks to get done if you go down that route! I'm not sure I completely agree that A levels and btecs shouldn't be considered equally, within reason, but I think that universities should look positively on those who take a good balance of the two in an appropriate manner.

yes btecs have the internet but some of the assignments you actually have to use your brain to complete it...
Original post by Binary Freak
Tell her how.

Evidently your reading skills aren't up to par.

Because they are. A Levels are better because they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Because they are. A Levels are better because they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still didn't answer the question. What you're stating is just a baseless assertion.
It is very simple. I do A-Levels so I will say A-Levels are better. Those who do BTECs say they are better.
Likewise we will say they are harder for our respective qualifications. Hence, I have said before I think A levels are better because they are LOLOLOLOLO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
yes btecs have the internet but some of the assignments you actually have to use your brain to complete it...

Oh yes absolutely, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't. I actually think there is some merit to the Btec/vocational qualification idea, and that would make it worthless. What I'm trying to say is that if you were given a coursework paper in controlled conditions somehow, whether you'd have to think about it or not (you have to put thought into both exams and good courseworks), if you didn't revise something, went blank, or just plain forgot something, there's no looking it up allowed. That makes stuff really hard!!!! Yes there are formula booklets ect (in one of our exams, we can even take a piece of paper full of formulae to the exam), but you certainly can't look up that one little piece of info that you were just unlucky enough to forget at that moment. Whereas with courseworks, I know at uni people skyve off all the lectures and just knock it out the night before it's due by scouring notes/internet.
I didn't actually state that either one was better as each have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, being looked down on because you chose to study a BTEC is ridiculous and very pretentious

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is very simple. I do A-Levels so I will say A-Levels are better. Those who do BTECs say they are better.
Likewise we will say they are harder for our respective qualifications. Hence, I have said before I think A levels are better because they are LOLOLOLOLO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such a sad calamity. Not everyone is one sided towards their course. No idea why you've put LOLOLOLOLO at the end of your comment. Do you think it was somewhat funny?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a levels are better for you...but maybe for other people it would be much better to do btec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Such a sad calamity. Not everyone is one sided towards their course. No idea why you've put LOLOLOLOLO at the end of your comment. Do you think it was somewhat funny?

I found it funny. Most people are though, otherwise most people wouldnt do a bad course if a better one is available #commonsensebro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
Probably a levels are better for you...but maybe for other people it would be much better to do btec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand this comment. Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it funny. Most people are though, otherwise most people wouldnt do a bad course if a better one is available #commonsensebro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily whether it is good or bad. But depends on the suitability and how certain the individual is at the time. I would've benefited more overall from doing A-level CS and Mathematics but I didn't take that path due to the practicality of the field I want to enter. and no institution local offered it

For some individuals they're limited to their options due to lack of motivation during their GCSEs or the options that local institutions offer (As mentioned above)

#UseYourHead
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I think that's pretty fair. I do think though that if you're thinking of going to uni, regardless of what will "Get you in", you should do an A level just for the academic skills that being put through exams will give you. You should choose btecs because they're an appropriate way of studying what you want to study i.e ict, motor engineering, woodwork ect, and not just because you don't like/can't do exams, if your going to uni that is. If you can't get to grips to exams now, in the nicest possible way, seriously don't kid yourself into thinking you'll magically be great at them when you get to uni. But obviously if you want to do a btec in hair and beauty (don't quote me on that, I'm pretty sure you can do one in that, I'm just trying to thing of something practical), and then go and work in a barber shop/hair dressers, then btecs are probably more appropriate than a levels. These ARE the sort of people that would slag off a levels as just remembering stuff for an exam and not doing anything practical, and they're largely right!
At my 6th form to do law A Level you needed to get at least 5 GCSEs at C or above, including English and maths.

If you do not get these grades and want to study law you have to take BTEC applied law whilst retaking the English and/or maths GCSE that you failed.

My friend failed his English GCSE and went to 6th form to retake it. Alongside this he wanted to study A Levels including politics I remember. He was only allowed to do level 3 BTECs and A Levels that ended in 'studies' (yes, really!) He ended up doing BTEC media, A Level environmental studies and A Level media studies while he retook his English GCSE.

So my 6th form blatantly makes a statement that BTECs and studies are for the 'thicker' students.
Not necessarily whether it is good or bad. But depends on the suitability and how certain the individual is at the time. I would've benefited more overall from doing A-level CS and Mathematics but I didn't take that path due to the practicality of the field I want to enter. and no institution local offered it

For some individuals they're limited to their options due to lack of motivation during their GCSEs or the options that local institutions offer (As mentioned above)

#UseYourHead

You are talking about a minority. I am talking about a majority. #myhashtagwasbetterthenursbro

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are talking about a minority. I am talking about a majority. #myhashtagwasbetterthenursbro

Posted from TSR Mobile

A majority of people doing the BTEC do them for similar reasons.

#Notreallybroski
Original post by Loose-seal Bluth
At my 6th form to do law A Level you needed to get at least 5 GCSEs at C or above, including English and maths.

If you do not get these grades and want to study law you have to take BTEC applied law whilst retaking the English and/or maths GCSE that you failed.

My friend failed his English GCSE and went to 6th form to retake it. Alongside this he wanted to study A Levels including politics I remember. He was only allowed to do level 3 BTECs and A Levels that ended in 'studies' (yes, really!) He ended up doing BTEC media, A Level environmental studies and A Level media studies while he retook his English GCSE.

So my 6th form blatantly makes a statement that BTECs and studies are for the 'thicker' students.

So does mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people look down upon BTECs because they typically have much lower academic requirements than A levels. The students are usually not that bright either and quite a few courses at University don't accept them as acceptable level 3 entry qualifications.

It's possible they are sufficiently rigorous. I'm not sure, having never done them myself.
I'm an a level student and I do not for one second look down upon btec students.

For the people that do, you are the members of the British snobbery club.

Peace x
A-level students look down on BTEC students because they know they *****d up choosing A level when it would have been easier and would have gotten into a better uni if they had studied a BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending