The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

I am yet to decide between Bristol and Liverpool, so I guess I will find out when I firm one on UCAS... but out of interest, what vaccinations do we need to get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ailsab96
I am yet to decide between Bristol and Liverpool, so I guess I will find out when I firm one on UCAS... but out of interest, what vaccinations do we need to get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not compulsory, but meningitis C vaccine is recommended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sennokazeni
I got rejection letter through the post this morning. Wish they hadn't been keeping me waiting for so long only to reject me.
(I'm looking forward to firming rvc!)

So sorry to hear about the rejection... by the way that they're keeping me waiting, it seems like I'm due that kind of news any day now as well :frown: Just wondering, did you get an update from UCAS as well, or was it just the letter?
Original post by laurensmiley97
Not compulsory, but meningitis C vaccine is recommended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: Is that it? That isn't too bad then ahaha :wink: I know Medics get Tb vaccines too, which would kind of make sense for Vets too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmiehunters96
So sorry to hear about the rejection... by the way that they're keeping me waiting, it seems like I'm due that kind of news any day now as well :frown: Just wondering, did you get an update from UCAS as well, or was it just the letter?

I just got a letter this morning, it was dated april the first (so it's a joke...right? :tongue: ). Nothing has come through on ucas yet, but it's th easter weekend so I guess the earliest it will update mine is tuesday...
I hope you hear good news from Nottingham soon!
Original post by Sennokazeni
I just got a letter this morning, it was dated april the first (so it's a joke...right? :tongue: ). Nothing has come through on ucas yet, but it's th easter weekend so I guess the earliest it will update mine is tuesday...
I hope you hear good news from Nottingham soon!

Sorry to hear about the rejection:frown:(( I think I'm going to get one too because they've kept me waiting all this time:'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: Is that it? That isn't too bad then ahaha :wink: I know Medics get Tb vaccines too, which would kind of make sense for Vets too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tetanus is also a good idea to get, they used to say get one every 10 years but I don't think that's the advice anymore.
Also I'm not aware that tb is that much of a zoonotic so I don't think we would need it. However interestingly from research I seem to remember that you are more likely to catch tb from a cat than a cow!
Any current or new bristol students got any hall recommendations?
Hi, I've got offers from rvc, liverpool and edinburgh and im really struggling to decide i think theyre all amazing and didnt think id get to choose. Has anyone got any advice that could help? I live in manchester but dont mind moving far. Thanks :smile:
Original post by daibelhl13
Hi, I've got offers from rvc, liverpool and edinburgh and im really struggling to decide i think theyre all amazing and didnt think id get to choose. Has anyone got any advice that could help? I live in manchester but dont mind moving far. Thanks :smile:

It's your decision at the end of the day, no-one can tell you which university you will feel right at.
With rvc many have said you have to bear in mind living expenses, Edinburgh is a great university, but obviously I am going to be bias towards Liverpool (clearly because it's the best one)
Go with the city which suits you best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6910

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my Nottingham offer letter it said we need tetanus and BCG (which is the TB vaccine). Maybe it differs between university? But I would have thought they would all be the same. Turns out I don't even need a tetanus vaccine as I had my last one in the past five years and am up to date, and no where in Cornwall has the BCG vaccine,( not even joking I cannot get one down here), so I have to wait until I'm at Nottingham to get it! Hope this helps, good luck with your decision making :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mumps was another one that Cambridge told me to get if I hadn't already had it, the nurse who gave me my meningitis vaccine told me something quite interesting though which was that vets/ vet students who are doing travelling to do with their course can get a free rabies vaccine on the NHS, which normally costs around £150! Something to bear in mind when doing EMS 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daibelhl13

Do try unistats 'key info sets (KIS)' ... Great, honest and neutral comparison of all vet schools Using measures that really relate to the quality of the student experience.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk
Tried to paste a screen shot of Unistats, but formatting didn't work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gabriellameow
I'm still waiting for surrey's decision post-interview but I want to accept rvc as a firm. Can I do that even though Surrey hasn't replied yet? Or do I have to wait for surreys decision , I'm a bit confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same! I wanna firm my offer from Surrey but in still waiting from a decision from liverpool! I 110% want to go to Surrey though so I don't know whether to wait or just withdraw? or would that be rude? 🙈
Original post by elliemoriartyell
I'm the same! I wanna firm my offer from Surrey but in still waiting from a decision from liverpool! I 110% want to go to Surrey though so I don't know whether to wait or just withdraw? or would that be rude? 🙈

I was also in the same position- I knew I definitely wanted to go to Surrey but was waiting for Liverpool to get back to me. I decided to withdraw from Liverpool because no matter what Liverpool's decision was, I was always going to firm Surrey. It also means that somebody else may get the offer that I was possibly going to get. This could be someone who has no offers yet at all, and I didn't want a precious offer to be wasted on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megannlizz
I was also in the same position- I knew I definitely wanted to go to Surrey but was waiting for Liverpool to get back to me. I decided to withdraw from Liverpool because no matter what Liverpool's decision was, I was always going to firm Surrey. It also means that somebody else may get the offer that I was possibly going to get. This could be someone who has no offers yet at all, and I didn't want a precious offer to be wasted on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes that makes a lot of sense, I think I'll do that then ☺️
Original post by megannlizz

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter whether you withdraw or wait for your offer then reject it as the next person on the waiting list will get it anyway no matter when you do it.. just they get hear sooner rather than later so you will have made someone happier over their easter :smile:
Firmed my Glasgow offer last night! I'm super excited for this year now :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you ever just think "...wtf man i'm actually gonna be a vet" :eek: it is the life dream
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending