The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I want to make money, but I want to do something unusual and exciting.

This is why I'm struggling of thinking of careers at the moment
Reply 341
Yeah dude this isn't Fast & Furious lol.
Reply 342
Original post by Gozem
I want to make money, but I want to do something unusual and exciting.

This is why I'm struggling of thinking of careers at the moment

Drug lord, smuggler of any kind (animal parts, people etc.)
Wut...I was enjoying it...
If it don't make money, it don't make sense.
Original post by Europhile
For some funny reason I highly doubt that. Even with years of experience IB's earn around £150k and you have to work your way up to that from around £40k. That isn't that much in reality. The reality is you'll be slaving away for someone else all day and night so they can get richer and richer. Sorry, but there's no chance you're going to be richer than myself by working for someone else. On top of that you'll have a mortgage to pay off whereas I won't have a mortgage as I already own assets.

You have no idea about IB salaries m8..

£150k all in is achievable within 5 years..

VPs are pushing £300-500k all in (~7 years)

MDs are more variable but about £500k-£3m (depending on how much they bring in of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You have no idea about IB salaries m8..

£150k all in is achievable within 5 years..

VPs are pushing £300-500k all in (~7 years)

MDs are more variable but about £500k-£3m (depending on how much they bring in of course)

You have no clue what you're on about. After years of experience - then you say £150k within 5 years. Do you understand how plurals are formed? So I was right then. Thanks for validating my claim.

On top of that, a MD is not strictly an IB anymore. They're a MD running things and thus its a different job entirely and would go down as a different job title on paper so no, those with the job title of IB very rarely make that sort of money and those that do usually own their own firms. No MD is going to call themselves an IB. They'll go by the title of MD of 'x' firm.

All you've done is validate my claim that running your own business is the surefire way to getting rich whereas working for others, in most cases, isn't. Those who get rich working for others are the exception, not the norm.
You have no clue what you're on about. After years of experience - then you say £150k within 5 years. Do you understand how plurals are formed? So I was right then. Thanks for validating my claim.

On top of that, a MD is not strictly an IB anymore. They're a MD running things and thus its a different job entirely and would go down as a different job title on paper so no, those with the job title of IB very rarely make that sort of money and those that do usually own their own firms. No MD is going to call themselves an IB. They'll go by the title of MD of 'x' firm.

All you've done is validate my claim that running your own business is the surefire way to getting rich whereas working for others, in most cases, isn't. Those who get rich working for others are the exception, not the norm.

Your ignorance is ridiculous..

MD is a senior investment banker - they are NOT the CEOs of the companies they work for

Likewise VPs are middle-ranked investment bankers.

Then you have associates and analysts - how did you not know this? You should at least READ up about the field you are talking about if you want to be taken seriously. I shouldn't be explaining this to you at all.

No one gets called an 'investment banker', as their job title. No one.

Yes, in 5 years.. Bankers get paid in salary+bonuses (bonuses are not optional, everyone recieves one), these bonuses dwarf the base salary the higher you get in rank.

Please, go use Google and do some research before you continue to spout such absolute nonsense.
Original post by J-SP
Considering 20% of business fail in the first year and its expected that another 50% won't last more than 3 years, running a business is clearly not a "sure fire" way of getting rich

In comparison to working for someone else it is.

MD is a senior investment banker - they are NOT the CEOs of the companies they work for

No. A Managing Director is the leader of an organisation. You clearly haven't got a clue about business. A CEO is responsible for a strategic outline and is not involved in the day to day affairs of the company. That is the MD's responsibility. The only people a MD has to answer to is a Board of Directors, depending on the structure of the company.

I was slightly pissed off at your reply but I've calmed down a bit now.

Titles in investment banks are inflated and don't mean what they actually portray. Vice President is another word for middle-managing banker and an MD is a senior banker. You can have 'global MDs' or 'Head ofs' who are certainly on the same level as VPs in the traditional sense.

As for their remuneration, junior bankers are split into 'buckets' of performance and these bucket positions then determine how much of a bonus they will get. Even the lowest ranked juniors are eligible for a decent bonus - think 30% of their base salary.

As you get more senior, your bonus is tied to the amount of money you bring in from deals and how well the department does. MDs (usually people with 10+ years experience) are thus compensated very highly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
I have heard said (not in person, but through close family) by some of the very richest people around that they now act solely upon the maxim "Money is not everything".

Money is just a means to an end; you need to know what that end is before you acquire the means. To this one might say, "When I'm rich I'll live a super-extravagant lifestyle and all of my problems will be over", and I will reply that living that way makes you no better than a pig eating out of a bottomless trough. I will not be happy with my life unless I have done something more meaningful than simply acquiring the means to gorge myself on material goods.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Only if your company bring in revenue and makes a profit.

Yes, but that's no different to a company you might be working for going bust or laying people off.

People think running a business is easy.

Because it is if you've got your head screwed on and really want it. I've ran my own business successfully in the past and being in control is paramount. I will be running my own business again in the near future because I simply refuse to work all hours of the day to line somebody elses pocket when I could be lining my own.
Reply 353
have you thought about the black FBI helicopters that will swarm your house in 5 minutes?
For some funny reason I highly doubt that. Even with years of experience IB's earn around £150k and you have to work your way up to that from around £40k. That isn't that much in reality. The reality is you'll be slaving away for someone else all day and night so they can get richer and richer. Sorry, but there's no chance you're going to be richer than myself by working for someone else. On top of that you'll have a mortgage to pay off whereas I won't have a mortgage as I already own assets.

just lol @ ur posts. Go get jel some more.

x

A MD and a CEO are roughly on the same level and most use them interchangeably. In banking, it may be different and if that is the case then they're using the term incorrectly. A Managing Director isn't a senior position. It is it's own position. You are a Managing Director responsible for the day to day responsiblilities. In America they're called CEO's. In Britain they're referred to as MD's. That's just the way it is. They both answer to the Board of Directors depending upon the structure of the company.

I know how bankers bonuses work and I don't envy them at all. They work ridiculous hours, some doing 80-100 hour weeks and quite frankly deserve them. I certainly would not work that much to line someone else's pocket and if I was in that field I'd be striving to save up as much money to set up my own firm as soon as possible. The difference is, the only real way of getting rich is to run a successful business unless you are one of the very few exceptions who proves to be indispensable to a company. These people are few and far between.

Everyone I know who's rich and I'm talking top end 6 figures and 7 figures in terms of wealth owns their own business and are Managing Directors in the actual sense of the word. It's no shock. When you are in control of your financial assets, obligations and your stability depends on the choices you make it is your responsibility. In the banking world you may see an MD as a top end banker but they're not, they're a highly experienced banker who has now taken upon the role to manage the day to day affairs of the company. Of course you need to know your stuff and that's where experience comes because you want to make profit.
A MD and a CEO are roughly on the same level and most use them interchangeably. In banking, it may be different and if that is the case then they're using the term incorrectly. A Managing Director isn't a senior position. It is it's own position. You are a Managing Director responsible for the day to day responsiblilities. In America they're called CEO's. In Britain they're referred to as MD's. That's just the way it is. They both answer to the Board of Directors depending upon the structure of the company.I know how bankers bonuses work and I don't envy them at all. They work ridiculous hours, some doing 80-100 hour weeks and quite frankly deserve them. I certainly would not work that much to line someone else's pocket and if I was in that field I'd be striving to save up as much money to set up my own firm as soon as possible. The difference is, the only real way of getting rich is to run a successful business unless you are one of the very few exceptions who proves to be indispensable to a company. These people are few and far between.Everyone I know who's rich and I'm talking top end 6 figures and 7 figures in terms of wealth owns their own business and are Managing Directors in the actual sense of the word. It's no shock. When you are in control of your financial assets, obligations and your stability depends on the choices you make it is your responsibility. In the banking world you may see an MD as a top end banker but they're not, they're a highly experienced banker who has now taken upon the role to manage the day to day affairs of the company. Of course you need to know your stuff and that's where experience comes because you want to make profit.

MD and CEO on the same level LOOOOl?????. Is this forum even educated?
Original post by J-SP
Why do you think so many people and businesses fail?

Because a lot of people do not have a good business plan that factors in a long term strategy. Most businesses fail due to poor planning and the vast majority of them, those that receive business loans, should never have been signed off in the first place. I've seen several businesses go through and the vast majority of them have had idiots with a lack of foresight running them.

Original post by Abdul-Karim
just lol @ ur posts. Go get jel some more.

Jealous of what? You will be working in London most likely long hours, struggling on the tube like a packed sardine whilst paying for a mortgage on a small overpriced house or apartment in London and I'll be running my own business abroad with no mortgage obligations, numerous assets and wealth you can only dream of kid. Do you only think investment bankers are rich or something? If so, that is both hilarious and adorable.
Civil service starting salaries can be £35k, so with 37 hour weeks with flexitime thrown in. This is a pretty great life in terms of free time, and the starting salary/promotion opportunities are pretty decent too.
A MD and a CEO are roughly on the same level and most use them interchangeably. In banking, it may be different and if that is the case then they're using the term incorrectly. A Managing Director isn't a senior position. It is it's own position. You are a Managing Director responsible for the day to day responsiblilities. In America they're called CEO's. In Britain they're referred to as MD's. That's just the way it is. They both answer to the Board of Directors depending upon the structure of the company.

I know how bankers bonuses work and I don't envy them at all. They work ridiculous hours, some doing 80-100 hour weeks and quite frankly deserve them. I certainly would not work that much to line someone else's pocket and if I was in that field I'd be striving to save up as much money to set up my own firm as soon as possible. The difference is, the only real way of getting rich is to run a successful business unless you are one of the very few exceptions who proves to be indispensable to a company. These people are few and far between.

Everyone I know who's rich and I'm talking top end 6 figures and 7 figures in terms of wealth owns their own business and are Managing Directors in the actual sense of the word. It's no shock. When you are in control of your financial assets, obligations and your stability depends on the choices you make it is your responsibility. In the banking world you may see an MD as a top end banker but they're not, they're a highly experienced banker who has now taken upon the role to manage the day to day affairs of the company. Of course you need to know your stuff and that's where experience comes because you want to make profit.

An MD in banking is NOT an MD of the organization.

If that were the case there would be thousands of supposed 'CEOs' at a bank - trust me I know bankers, I know how the hierarchy works, you evidently don't.

In a lot cases, the CEO of the bank can earn less than a top earning MD in investment banking or trading.

Please, just Google IB hierarchy maybe then you would understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending