The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jontypickles
Can somebody explain to me how hydrogenation is linked to margarine? I understand the mechanism and the chemistry bit, its just these wordy questions like what is it used for where I lose marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using hydrogenation, you can harden polyunsaturated vegetable oils, since the hydrogenation affects how the oil hardens.
The two pics below should help.
Does anyone know where I can find some sort of map of the organic reactions? Something where like alkenes -hydrogenation-> alkanes, primary alcohols -distil oxidation-> aldehydes etc?
Ocr January 2010 question 4b: why does it say 'using your knowledge of group 7 elements, complete the electron configuration of bromine'? How is the electron configuration of group 7 elements any different to others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
Ocr January 2010 question 4b: why does it say 'using your knowledge of group 7 elements, complete the electron configuration of bromine'? How is the electron configuration of group 7 elements any different to others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pic pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah,they do that all the time.It's only 1 mark,it's just testing your abilitu to write out the orbitals of elements.

Also for disadvantage of chlorine,I would think saying they form chlorinated hydrocarbons which are carcinogenic, would have been a better answer.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah,they do that all the time.It's only 1 mark,it's just testing your abilitu to write out the orbitals of elements.

Also for disadvantage of chlorine,I would think saying they form chlorinated hydrocarbons which are carcinogenic, would have been a better answer.

Great thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain how to suggest the formula of sodium chlorate(VII). Can you explain the stages to figuring it out? Thank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain how to suggest the formula of sodium chlorate(VII). Can you explain the stages to figuring it out? Thank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the answer NACLO with a +4 charge overall?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's NaClO4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's because in this case Cl is 1+ and O4 is 4x-2 = -8. -8+1= -7 (VII)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alkenes are hydrated into alkanes, not hydrogenated :smile: some sort of flowchart would be useful, is this a resource anyone has?
Alkenes are hydrated into alkanes, not hydrogenated :smile: some sort of flowchart would be useful, is this a resource anyone has?

Alkenes can be hydrogenated into alkanes.

Alkenes can be hydrated to make alcohols (with steam).
Alkenes can be hydrogenated to make alkanes (with hydrogen).
Okay well that is something i didn't know :smile: tell me more? Sorry for correcting you, was trying to help :smile:
How do u know if a carbon structure is primary secondary or tertiary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it an electrophilic addition reaction?
Is it an electrophilic addition reaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's just a addition reaction.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's just an addition reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
How do u know if a carbon structure is primary secondary or tertiary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

look at whats around the carbocation

general pattern: if carbocation is at the end of chain its primary.

if theres two alkyl groups surrounding it s secondary.

if theres three alkyl groups surrounding then its tertiary.

Quick Reply

Latest