The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Le Nombre
No, why would I be?

Don't get me wrong, she's lucky she can do that secure in the knowledge I'll make enough for us to live comfortably.

your gf found writing essays better than making big bucks helping other companies literally change themselves? fair enough, to each their own, quitting bain to pay 20k for a phd is mental imo, and i give you props for allowing yourself to take the burden on to let her do that. how much do academics earn? post phd
Original post by Europhile
No it's not. If you don't handle the day to day affairs of an organisation you aren't a managing director, no matter how much you convince yourself otherwise. Just because in the IB world you do it to satisfy egos doesn't mean that is actually the case. Try being an actual managing director turning over 6 figures before you comment next time, kid.

Furthermore, I don't mean to sound rude but a lot of the assumptions made in here are hilarious. Abdul is a kid still at university with student debt that's going to increase tenfold and has probably never ever worked, which exemplifies his distorted view of reality. He thinks people like myself should be jealous of him which is hilarious considering he's currently worth nothing, literally nothing.

Finally, whilst he is slaving away making other people rich I'll be living and working near a beach making a mass amount of money for myself. The sad reality is he cant accept that other people are richer than him by default and that is just the way it is. The funniest part of it is that its a shock to him that there are well off middle class people on TSR. I admire his dedication and goals but it's quite clear he needs a bit of a reality check if he's ever to become rich.

The only sort of people I'll look up to on here are people like Quady who've actually got their head screwed on.

I see ur enjoying that 24k

u seem pretty clueless and jealous for a 24 year old
Original post by welcometoib
trolling right?

I am not quite sure why anyone would believe that is trolling. It is fun doing something that you love.

Academia is generally fairly well paid at the higher ends. You can easily earn 50K+.
your gf found writing essays better than making big bucks helping other companies literally change themselves? fair enough, to each their own, quitting bain to pay 20k for a phd is mental imo, and i give you props for allowing yourself to take the burden on to let her do that. how much do academics earn? post phd

She's a scientist, so she doesn't (and can't) write essays, but yeah.

It's not really a burden, I'd do my job whether I was with her or not and I'll get paid well enough it's not a struggle to support her too.

Varies massively, if they get a permanent position about 35k I think in London. Obviously as with any job you can earn more by moving into management roles. Some VCs actually earn serious wedge when you take account of the perks (grace and favour house, car, hefty defined benefit pension etc.), not that she wants to do that.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Please enlighten me as to why I or anyone else here should be jealous of a poor university student who has done nothing as of yet?
Original post by DorianGrayism
I am not quite sure why anyone would believe that is trolling. It is fun doing something that you love.

Academia is generally fairly well paid at the higher ends. You can easily earn 50K+.

50k isnt a great return on degree masters and phd costs and tax and living expenses, and life doesnt work that way for us to do what we love all the time, le nombre clearly said its due to him that she can afford to do what she wants
I see ur enjoying that 24k

He's got a point about director, if you're not on the official board of a company you are not a proper director, it is a position with a specific meaning, ditto exec.

Given the number of MDs I know I'm IB, I doubt everyone with the title gets to sign off on resolutions.
She's a scientist, so she doesn't (and can't) write essays, but yeah.

It's not really a burden, I'd do my job whether I was with her or not and I'll get paid well enough it's not a struggle to support her too.

Varies massively, if they get a permanent position about 35k I think in London. Obviously as with any job you can earn more by moving into management roles. Some VCs actually earn serious wedge when you take account of the perks (grace and favour house, car, hefty defined benefit pension etc.), not that she wants to do that.

tbh, id be more inclined if it was science rather than humanities, i say that as my partner does chemistry and i do humanities, it seems what she does is much more invigorating, fair enough again!

i know, just generally savings/anything fun would be easier with her too, especially if youre living in london, rip off city.

ok, thats fair enough, ty for the answers. just as a q, did she find the work at mbb fine, and just wanted to do something more challenging again, or did she hate mbb work and then decided to go back to academia? v interetsed in consulting myself
Reply 408
50k isnt a great return on degree masters and phd costs and tax and living expenses, and life doesnt work that way for us to do what we love all the time, le nombre clearly said its due to him that she can afford to do what she wants

What? Even without him, 50k is extremely liveable and almost twice the average wage in the UK. Plus her PhD might be funded by the university, so no costs there.
The only rich people I know are entrepreneurs. What background they came from doesn't matter. It's where they are at now and what they are now that matters. They're rich because they went from building up someone elses assets to building up their own asset portfolio. It's not hard to work out that if you work for someone else the glass ceiling is put in place by them but if you work for yourself the sky is the limit.
tbh, id be more inclined if it was science rather than humanities, i say that as my partner does chemistry and i do humanities, it seems what she does is much more invigorating, fair enough again!

i know, just generally savings/anything fun would be easier with her too, especially if youre living in london, rip off city.

ok, thats fair enough, ty for the answers. just as a q, did she find the work at mbb fine, and just wanted to do something more challenging again, or did she hate mbb work and then decided to go back to academia? v interetsed in consulting myself

Yeah, she didn't object to it, just found it dull and that she wasn't using her brain much compared to at uni, and she couldn't see that changing if she'd stayed and moved upwards.

Tbh she didn't really go into it eyes open, they threw a dinner at uni, she applied and they took her as she's got the grades and is personable.

I think she may have gone back into it anyway, her PhD stipend is enough to live on, but being with me made it an easier decision.
Original post by EddyP
What? Even without him, 50k is extremely liveable and almost twice the average wage in the UK. Plus her PhD might be funded by the university, so no costs there.

50k isn't starting though.

It's more the insecurity, a lot of junior academic contracts are fixed for 8 months, so you have to find something else to do over summer.
Lmao looked at ur profile, ur a teacher bro.. sit the hell down with ur 24k salary. Talking about business :lol:, you even worked in IB/Law or anything that actually pays bro?

You're 24 and still struggling mate. Atleast I'm 19 and doing something.

lol this is funny,,, first year of uni and you're acting as if you have a clue about how the real world of work functions. Sorry, I forgot that your many banking insight days make you better than everyone else. Yes, 2 days worth of listening to people talk about how great their job is and tours around a big building makes you more experienced than everyone here, In reality, your just a boy from a terrible inner London school who admits he struggles to compose a sentence when interacting with a girl. Humble yourself, stop getting ahead of yourself..... you are quite frankly a nobody.
Reply 413
One of the major options I am considering for after I finish my A Levels (even more so than university) is a job which would have a starting salary of 24k. I have never really seen money as that big of a factor in choosing what I want to do in the future. As long as I am able to live a comfortable lifestyle and find my day to day life rewarding, I don't care about the pay check.
Original post by fbrep2012
lol this is funny,,, first year of uni and you're acting as if you have a clue about how the real world of work functions. Sorry, I forgot that your many banking insight days make you better than everyone else. Yes, 2 days worth of listening to people talk about how great their job is and tours around a big building makes you more experienced than everyone here, In reality, your just a boy from a terrible inner London school who admits he struggles to compose a sentence when interacting with a girl. Humble yourself, stop getting ahead of yourself..... you are quite frankly a nobody.

ignorance is strong in this one.
Reply 415
50k isn't starting though.

It's more the insecurity, a lot of junior academic contracts are fixed for 8 months, so you have to find something else to do over summer.

It's true it's insecure, but I think that academia is a pretty great job, one of the best you can have if you get a good gig (i.e. Oxbridge). I don't like academic writing so I wouldn't be able to do it (kind of wish I did like writing so I'd have considered it more though); I do miss academic reading and the general atmosphere of learning, even though I've graduated I still hit up JSTOR every now and then to read articles on stuff I'm interested in.

If you're an expert in a relevant subject, you can end up writing articles for news organisations, or advising government bodies.
(edited 8 years ago)
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

That is a good question and I've seen some very interesting responses so far. Now here's my take:

I'm from a wealthy family, but now I've realised that having a load of money isn't really that amazing. Yes, you do get a big house, some very nice cars and all the rest, but the novelty soon wears off. With this in mind, I have decided to do something that I'll enjoy after graduating this summer. As far as I'm concerned, those who compromise their own interests/dreams for the sake of attaining well-paid work don't really have any idea of the value of life.

Note: I haven't said that I don't want to be well-paid, but that money won't influence the decisions I'll be faced with after graduating.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 417
You haven't a clue mate. If someone's smart enough to make it into IB, then they probably a smart enough to realise the exit opps.

Lol. Yeah, smart enough to realise that if you just want money then the best exit opp is pre-entry. That friend regretted his time in banking because he found it boring, didn't enjoy it and didn't even need a great deal of start up cash for his business. His contacts came from business he was into before banking.

Maybe when you mature you will realise that just because you have a hard-on for IB, it is a niche and geeky interest and isn't worth it solely for the money. That is why people don't want it, whether they are 'smart' enough or not.

I know a few people who are in/have formerly worked in IB and they aren't the richest people I know. There are more entrepreneurs and more wealth in it generally than IB.

I have a friend in the wholesale business who made his first million at 19. He is 22 now - you have focused your life for probably 2-3 years so far and probably the next 2-3 just to get a ****ty 50 grand a year to slave away doing what most people would find uninteresting.

Bottom line - if you happen to find that stuff interesting and worth aspiring to then great but understand that most people find that it is geeky, dull and the game isn't worth the candle. So try and grow up and learn the fact that your 'passion' isn't exciting to other people and try to understand that your lack of understanding why it isn't everyone's choice just makes you seem autistic
k9k I am more fun than you, gauranteed. Got better hobbies then u too m8, lol u use tsr ffs, you are in no position to talk. You probs socially degenerate.

LOOOOL check dis gassed buttahz yout tinking he's big ting, dem hobbies include blazin,stealing bikes en hanging on dat council estate yh g #momoneymoproblemz
You've gone down the low risk low reward route bruh.

Quick Reply

Latest