The Student Room Group

Constant headaches? What could be the cause?

Hello,

I felt a bit 'soft' posting this in this section but oh well.

I've had a constant, really banging headache for 8 days in a row now. I've very painful and feels like it's all over rather than in a direct place.

I've sustained no physical injuries to the head, I don't think it's eye-related (e.g. staring at a screen or squinting). It's also not down to dehydration as I drink a lot of water regularly to flush my system out.

So what could it be? What's the usual cause?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Have you had your eyes tested recently? I get headaches (and my eyes hurt) if I spend too much time on the computer. It can sometimes be a hint for me that I need my eyes tested.

And are you eating enough?
Im no doctor, maybe a brain tumor.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Have you had your eyes tested recently? I get headaches (and my eyes hurt) if I spend too much time on the computer. It can sometimes be a hint for me that I need my eyes tested.

And are you eating enough?

Yeah I have, I thought it may have been my eyes at first and then I when for a test and it was all fine.

I eat as much as I can. I'm not overweight, I'm on the skinnier side but I'm not anorexic or anything, I'm average really.

Original post by Amal_Ahmed

You're not a Doctor? I honestly wouldn't have guessed that, how are you not a Doctor when you can tell I have a brain tumor over a forum?

That's not funny.

To OP, you should visit a GP, I used to get really bad headaches because of I read a lot but if that's not the case for you do get it checked.

Maybe you're stressed about something?
To be honest, if you're worried you need to go see a doctor.

Headaches lasting 8 days without relieving at all is not great. It could be anything and you should get your BP checked as well as detailing the exact nature of your headache. Have you tried any paracetamol or ibuprofen at all (or both?)

Talk about scaremongering:frown:

I also find that things like weather / too much light (I'm ridiculously sensitive to light) are triggers for headaches.

Because you've had it for 8 days, I'd personally see the GP.
You're not a Doctor? I honestly wouldn't have guessed that, how are you not a Doctor when you can tell I have a brain tumor over a forum?

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you.
Reply 8
Original post by binarythoughts
That's not funny.

To OP, you should visit a GP, I used to get really bad headaches because of I read a lot but if that's not the case for you do get it checked.

Maybe you're stressed about something?

Yeah, I guess it could be anything. I'll give it a couple more days and see if the headaches goes away. Thanks for the advice.

Original post by Kyalimers
To be honest, if you're worried you need to go see a doctor.

Headaches lasting 8 days without relieving at all is not great. It could be anything and you should get your BP checked as well as detailing the exact nature of your headache. Have you tried any paracetamol or ibuprofen at all (or both?)

I'm not worried, it's more annoying and painful then worrying.

Yes, I've been taking paracetamol for the past 8 days to manage the pain.

Talk about scaremongering:frown:

I also find that things like weather / too much light (I'm ridiculously sensitive to light) are triggers for headaches.

Because you've had it for 8 days, I'd personally see the GP.

Don't worry, I found his post funny.

Yeah I totally agree with you there, the light nearly always gives me a 'light', temporary headache however it's been rather dark and miserable weather so that can't be the cause. Plus like you say 8 days is too long for it to be weather related.

I'll give it a couple more days before visiting the GP.

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you.

No worries, you didn't, I found your post rather funny, no idea why :smile:
Reply 9
8 days isn't that long really. What's the pattern of the headache? Any associated coughs/colds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, have you been under a lot of stress recently? I find when I'm particularly stressed I have nearly constant jaw/head pain.

And you say there is definitely no problem with your eyesight? It might be worth seeing an optician anyway, you might have poorer vision than you realise and if you ask for a thorough examination they will examine behind your eyes and take retinal photographs which can pick up various abnormalities which could be the cause of the pain.

Probably a good idea to see a GP if it continues over the next few days, especially if the pain worsens or new symptoms crop up (dizziness, blurred vision, nausea etc.). I hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by XZX
Yes, I've been taking paracetamol for the past 8 days to manage the pain

Google "rebound headache". If you take painkillers for longer than recommended (3 days continually is normally the max for paracetamol I think) then they might actually now be causing the headache.

By all means see your GP, but I suspect their first recommendation would be to stop taking paracetamol.
Original post by Klix88
Google "rebound headache". If you take painkillers for longer than recommended (3 days continually is normally the max for paracetamol I think) then they might actually now be causing the headache.

By all means see your GP, but I suspect their first recommendation would be to stop taking paracetamol.

This is true. I'm sure they don't recommend (unless on medical advice) you take paracetamol for longer than 3 days.
Reply 13
Original post by Sean3000
8 days isn't that long really. What's the pattern of the headache? Any associated coughs/colds?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's constant and painful. I understand what you're saying, it wouldn't bother me if it were a normal headache but it's constant and a lot more painful then usual headaches.

I've had no coughs/colds associated with this headache, however I've had a lot of moments where I have no balance then and being sick due to the dizziness.

Original post by Bethaaaaany
Hey, have you been under a lot of stress recently? I find when I'm particularly stressed I have nearly constant jaw/head pain.

And you say there is definitely no problem with your eyesight? It might be worth seeing an optician anyway, you might have poorer vision than you realise and if you ask for a thorough examination they will examine behind your eyes and take retinal photographs which can pick up various abnormalities which could be the cause of the pain.

Probably a good idea to see a GP if it continues over the next few days, especially if the pain worsens or new symptoms crop up (dizziness, blurred vision, nausea etc.). I hope you feel better soon :smile:

No more stress than usual.

And I lied about seeing an optician, I haven't really had my eyes tested, I lied about this as I knew once I've said I've not had my eyes tested, the next 10 replies would be "eye problem". I didn't want everyone getting carried away with this being an eye problem as I don't think it is. Besides, even if it is I won't go for an eye test.

Original post by Klix88

I doubt it's that. The headache started then I started taking painkillers.

This is true. I'm sure they don't recommend (unless on medical advice) you take paracetamol for longer than 3 days.

Well I'll try to stop taking it for a couple of days, but it's going to be difficult as it hurts even when taking paracetamol, I dread to think what it's going to be like without paracetamol.
Taking a few days of paracetamol will not cause rebound headache.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Sean3000
Taking a few days of paracetamol will not cause rebound headache.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My thoughts exactly.

Day 9 and it's still going strong.
Go to your GP and get checked out.

Do you have any flu like symptoms? You feeling dizzy may be part of it.
My brother was ill for around 2 weeks and had a headache the entire time while having a few flu like symptoms not long ago. When he got better the headache went

And for future reference "anorexic" is not a word to describe a very skinny person.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Go to your GP and get checked out.

Do you have any flu like symptoms? You feeling dizzy may be part of it.
My brother was ill for around 2 weeks and had a headache the entire time while having a few flu like symptoms not long ago. When he got better the headache went

And for future reference "anorexic" is not a word to describe a very skinny person.

I'll give it a couple more days or may not go as I don't want to look 'soft'.

None, and I know some people call them 'useless' but I've had a flu jab. It's definitely not flu, I've had flu before and I get aching bones, sore neck, runny nose, cough, etc. I've got none of those symptoms.

What's with the random future reference? No one had mentioned the word 'anorexic' until you did.
Original post by XZX
I'll give it a couple more days or may not go as I don't want to look 'soft'.

None, and I know some people call them 'useless' but I've had a flu jab. It's definitely not flu, I've had flu before and I get aching bones, sore neck, runny nose, cough, etc. I've got none of those symptoms.

What's with the random future reference? No one had mentioned the word 'anorexic' until you did.

You won't look soft if you go in now. You have had a headache for over a week.
Hmm not a long case of flu then.

"I eat as much as I can. I'm not overweight, I'm on the skinnier side but I'm not anorexic or anything, I'm average really."
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
You won't look soft if you go in now. You have had a headache for over a week.
Hmm not a long case of flu then.

Yes I know but at the end of the day it's only a 'headache', granted I've not been to the GP in a while but I'm sure there will be people there who have some 'serious' health issues and will look down on me.

The pain's bad but I guess I could just keep taking painkillers for a good while and hope for the best.

It's just the lack of balance that's causing me trouble, fortunately I've always been at home by myself when it's happened. As it's happening more often I'm just worried it may happen when I'm not at home.

This leads to my next question, is there anything I can take as and when needed to combat the dizziness? Preferably OTC but I could get an rx for something if I had to.

Quick Reply

Latest