The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thomas is a handsome young lad.
If Arsenal can win every game till the end of the season, that will be the perfect platform to begin next season and challenge from the start! Hopefully we can go set some records and really go on a winning strike it would be the icing on the cake if Chelsea slip up but 2nd is good however lets not get complacent over Fa Cup last year Hull nearly beat us.
we better sign one of the Bender brothers in the summer:colonhash:
If you could name 4 perfect signings in the summer who would they be? Can be audacious as you like

Mine;

Vidal
Benzema
Reus
Maxwell
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by De Chirico
Well yes so do I but was that a realistic expectation to have post-highbury? We now have quality players in the team and the money and pulling power to add more. We weren't able to do that while we were paying off debt every year.

Can see more sustained title challenges in the coming seasons.

You're starting to turn up against the big teams now. That's the first real sign that change may be around the corner.

Wenger needs to get signings right this summer if you want to push on and go for the title in 15/16, not waiting until August before spunking his entire budget on a 38532845834th Attacking Midfielder.
Original post by Stefano93
If you could name 4 perfect signings in the summer who would they be? Can be audacious as you like

Mine;

Vidal
Benzema
Reus
Maxwell

Ronaldo
Suarez
Thiago Silva
Pogba
Original post by swirly
Ronaldo
Suarez
Thiago Silva
Pogba

No Messi? :lolwut:
Original post by Stefano93
No Messi? :lolwut:

cant fit him into the squad, without messing up the defensive balance

would go

suarez
ronaldo ozil alexis
wilshere pogba
nacho silva kosc bellerin
ospina

obviously you could get someone like Neuer, but I think that 11 has a lot of balance and quality.
3rd and FA Cup isn't exactly progress is it though?

2nd is perhaps, but we were still awful in Europe from start to finish.

I'll agree though, if we can manage to beat Chelsea and finish on at least 80 points whilst retaining the FA Cup then I'll be happier.

The issues are still there, we never have a fit squad and that needs to change before we have any chance of having a genuine sustained title bid
Essentially 78+ points would be progress, especially considering how much harder/tighter the league has been this year.
Anyone??

De Gea or Courtois
Hummels or Thiego Silva
Ronaldo or Messi
Pogba

Realistically

Cech
Smalling
Sneiderlain or Khedira
Pedro
Lacazette
Original post by leinad2012
3rd and FA Cup isn't exactly progress is it though?

2nd is perhaps, but we were still awful in Europe from start to finish.

I'll agree though, if we can manage to beat Chelsea and finish on at least 80 points whilst retaining the FA Cup then I'll be happier.

The issues are still there, we never have a fit squad and that needs to change before we have any chance of having a genuine sustained title bid

everything the same as last year, but increasing from 4th to 3rd? - bassically the definition of progress.

Ok, its not great progress, or big progress, but its impossible to deny that it is a better season then last year
Original post by fallen_acorns
everything the same as last year, but increasing from 4th to 3rd? - bassically the definition of progress.

Ok, its not great progress, or big progress, but its impossible to deny that it is a better season then last year

No it isn't, we've finished 3rd plenty of times in the last 10 years, it shows no progress over the last 5 years.

Tbh, we could quite easily finish 3rd on a worse points tally than last season.
No it isn't, we've finished 3rd plenty of times in the last 10 years, it shows no progress over the last 5 years.

Tbh, we could quite easily finish 3rd on a worse points tally than last season.

3rd and a trophy though...

We have not done that in over a decade

= progress
I've said it before, the issue with our squad is that we work in calender years, where we'll be outstanding like in 2013, then beyond **** like in 2014 bar a 4 week stint where we needed to get cl qualification. We'll more than likely be brilliant this year only to get ****ed by injuries in the winter periods. There's definitely progress on the pitch and in our results against top teams, that's undeniable, but progress in terms of overall results is quesetionable
3rd and a trophy though...

We have not done that in over a decade

= progress

OK acorns whatever makes you feel better. The gap in previous years between 3rd and 4th is minimal compared to the gap between 2nd and 3rd.

Progress is being to an extent, but we need to stop judging the team based on the "what ifs" and start realising our squad isn't being cared for in the right way forcing injuries that criple us over the course of the season
OK acorns whatever makes you feel better. The gap in previous years between 3rd and 4th is minimal compared to the gap between 2nd and 3rd.

Progress is being to an extent, but we need to stop judging the team based on the "what ifs" and start realising our squad isn't being cared for in the right way forcing injuries that criple us over the course of the season

oh dont get me wrong - 3rd and a troph,y is not what I want from a season.. and I have been well in the 'wenger out' camp for a good while now..

But I do take issue with people saying that there is no progress.. For me the biggest sign of progress this season is our performances in the big games.. 2nd half of the season we have beaten man city, man united and liverpool.. I feel more confident going into big games at the moment, then I have done for many years..

The progress of our team under wenger worries me a lot, but I wont deny that he has done well this season, and pushed us on from last year (if we keep it up for the last 7 games + cup) - even if its only a small improvement
Urgh. I see grumpy granddad's out. :tongue:

There is progress. Not massive progress but progress by definition. Next season if we're having a good FA cup run and look certain to be finishing 3rd/4th, you cannot call that progress. It can be said that unanimously we'd all like to be challenging for the title. Not just sitting at the top of the table for a few odd weeks but actually challenging. And obviously do better in Europe.

It's really not that hard to see lads.
oh dont get me wrong - 3rd and a troph,y is not what I want from a season.. and I have been well in the 'wenger out' camp for a good while now..

But I do take issue with people saying that there is no progress.. For me the biggest sign of progress this season is our performances in the big games.. 2nd half of the season we have beaten man city, man united and liverpool.. I feel more confident going into big games at the moment, then I have done for many years..

The progress of our team under wenger worries me a lot, but I wont deny that he has done well this season, and pushed us on from last year (if we keep it up for the last 7 games + cup) - even if its only a small improvement

It's funny because I'm firmly Wenger in at least for the next 2 seasons. There is definitely progress against the other top sides, but is that more to do with them getting weaker rather than us getting stronger? We're still 2 or 3 players away from having a team that can consistently challenge for the title, but that's always the case...
Progress is beating UTD and city away, not finishing 3rd

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest