The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hskjlclcn
Don't understand how you can complain in a competitive environment about something like that. The guy is human after all, and doesn't really mean what he's doing.

Like I said before people just want an excuse to hate him,especially since he gatecrashed the Rafa-Roger party. Two is company, three's a crowd
Original post by lizzy95
Like I said before people just want an excuse to hate him,especially since he gatecrashed the Rafa-Roger party. Two is company, three's a crowd

Yeah, I'm not claiming to ever be a huge fan but I can appreciate the progress he's made and all these excuses and hate is just pathetic.
Reply 3262
Original post by lizzy95

In a moment as intense as that, implosion is to be expected. Other players have done much worse than snatch a towel out of a kid's hand. That being said, he was being a bit of a dick.

Nobody's out to get Djokovic and only Djokovic. The same 'animosity' can be observed for Federer or Nadal, or most other big names. People will react negatively to rude behaviour, it's natural, though.

That sounded very high-horsey of me, but you catch my drift.
Meh.. it's probably Murray fanboy's who are obsessing over this. Need i remind you all of Cilic at Queens.. a number of players go a bit nutty when the adrenaline is pumping and they feel under pressure, indeed i'd take it as a complement if i were Murray.
Original post by RyJ
In a moment as intense as that, implosion is to be expected. Other players have done much worse than snatch a towel out of a kid's hand. That being said, he was being a bit of a dick.

Nobody's out to get Djokovic and only Djokovic. The same 'animosity' can be observed for Federer or Nadal, or most other big names. People will react negatively to rude behaviour, it's natural, though.

That sounded very high-horsey of me, but you catch my drift.

Yeah I do catch your drift and you didn't sound high-horsey. :smile: I agree wholeheartedly that he acted like a dick too, the whole week he's been mentally fragile. I just feel sorry for him because to him it feels like 90% of tennis fans are either big Rafa or Federer fans so 90% of fans therefore hate him because he's the only legitimate challenge to both their idols. I agree that both Rafa and Federer get animosity due to their rivalry but both players have large enough fan bases that can strongly outweigh that, sadly that isn't the case for Djokovic. Me and the minority will fly our flags of support for him
Well, i'm kind of devastated.

Fantastic performance from Murray until the third set. As I said the most important factor was the first serve percentage of Andy, and that dropped dramatically in the last set. There are positives though, he was better than Nole in the first 2 and should have won the first one but when you can't hold your serve just after breaking....

PS Grass session can't come soon enough!

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
Murray folding in the final set - bit of a shame, but Novak is just too solid on the slow hard courts. Only 2 or 3 people have a realistic chance of beating him at the moment.
Murray, much like previous encounters, had his chances, but could not make it stick. Breaking Djokovic twice in the first set, he really should have backed it up and closed it out. Djokovic is such a great finisher - he's capable of sprinting at the end of the marathon, with that bagel final set. Similar also with his IW win over Federer with the 6-2 final set. The blowout appears to be much more mental, than physical fallout from the effort of winning the previous set - once Djokovic breaks Murray down he capitulates typically in the final set, way more so than Federer or Rafa, who seem to be able to fight harder than Murray does when Djokovic appears to be on top of the match.

You've got to imagine Djoker will end his career with the Masters record. With 6 of the 9 Masters on hard court, and Djokovic more likely to win on the clay courts than Rafa on the hard courts, he could end up with 30+ at his current rate. If he improves his HC record at the US Open, Djoker could go on down as the greatest hard court player in history.

While Murray is meeting Djokovic in finals consistently, Federer still appears to be the one who gives Djokovic the frights more than any other. I'm really hoping Rafa mounts a strong challenge with the shift on to the clay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sirocco11
Murray, much like previous encounters, had his chances, but could not make it stick. Breaking Djokovic twice in the first set, he really should have backed it up and closed it out. Djokovic is such a great finisher - he's capable of sprinting at the end of the marathon, with that bagel final set. Similar also with his IW win over Federer with the 6-2 final set. The blowout appears to be much more mental, than physical fallout from the effort of winning the previous set - once Djokovic breaks Murray down he capitulates typically in the final set, way more so than Federer or Rafa, who seem to be able to fight harder than Murray does when Djokovic appears to be on top of the match.

You've got to imagine Djoker will end his career with the Masters record. With 6 of the 9 Masters on hard court, and Djokovic more likely to win on the clay courts than Rafa on the hard courts, he could end up with 30+ at his current rate. If he improves his HC record at the US Open, Djoker could go on down as the greatest hard court player in history.

While Murray is meeting Djokovic in finals consistently, Federer still appears to be the one who gives Djokovic the frights more than any other. I'm really hoping Rafa mounts a strong challenge with the shift on to the clay.

I hope Rafa comes back strong too but really want Djokovic to finally winning RG this year. Rafa can win the US Open and he can get the unprecedented no. 10 next year 😃
One can hope anyway...
Original post by lizzy95
I hope Rafa comes back strong too but really want Djokovic to finally winning RG this year. Rafa can win the US Open and he can get the unprecedented no. 10 next year ������
One can hope anyway...

this french open should be interesting, hopefully nadals back to full health, personally I'm looking forward to the grass swing...
Lizzy I wasn't hating on Djokovic. I'm sorry if you felt that way.
Original post by The_K1NG
Lizzy I wasn't hating on Djokovic. I'm sorry if you felt that way.

It's cool, apology accepted 😃
Original post by lizzy95
It's cool, apology accepted

Thanks
Original post by lizzy95

Not even a Fedal fangirl but still don't like Djokovic. Yes he's a try hard. He hates it when the crowd is against him but then he acts like a jerk and wonders why he'll never be as loved as the other two despite arguably being the better player. I'm so over his roid rages

It doesn't matter who does it I don't like it when players insult the crowd and frightening the ball kid like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skkc16
Not even a Fedal fangirl but still don't like Djokovic. Yes he's a try hard. He hates it when the crowd is against him but then he acts like a jerk and wonders why he'll never be as loved as the other two despite arguably being the better player. I'm so over his roid rages

It doesn't matter who does it I don't like it when players insult the crowd and frightening the ball kid like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

this^ he's good, but not better than federer...
Original post by ThatMadClown
this^ he's good, but not better than federer...

or Nadal, for that matter

But Djokovic is still the best player in the world, and possibly the best I've seen on slow hard courts. He is calm and professional in press conferences. The only thing I would say is that he shouldn't care what others think of him - if he focuses solely on his game and is able to shut the crowd out of his mind he'll be more successful in the biggest matches on the biggest stages.
Original post by Krish4791
or Nadal, for that matter

But Djokovic is still the best player in the world, and possibly the best I've seen on slow hard courts. He is calm and professional in press conferences. The only thing I would say is that he shouldn't care what others think of him - if he focuses solely on his game and is able to shut the crowd out of his mind he'll be more successful in the biggest matches on the biggest stages.

The one thing I dislike is the overuse of slow courts, you can see the difference in results between the finals in dubai and indian wells and miami, don't get me wrong, djokovic is a great player and deserves to be no.1 but his somewhat "easy" journey to getting all grand slams shouldn't be as easy as the media portray it to be. I still think nadal will retain his french open but wouldn't be surprised if djokovic takes it, wimbledon should be the most interesting, hoping for federer to get his 8th there.
I just think that when Federer swears at umpires and Nadal barges into opponents due to their huge support it never gets spoken about but those are the perks of being established as champions first... With regards to Djokovic having it easy, well winning slams in an era with Nadal, Federer, Murray and other challengers is no easy feat. I also agree that Djokovic should try and block the crowd out but that's easier said than done and not something Federer and Nadal have to deal with so any comparison there is unfair. Either way I can admire all tennis players who play well and seem like decent players off the court too so despite their moments I can be happy for most players when they win
Reply 3278
this french open should be interesting, hopefully nadals back to full health, personally I'm looking forward to the grass swing...

Same, Lopez could do really well!
The one thing I dislike is the overuse of slow courts, you can see the difference in results between the finals in dubai and indian wells and miami, don't get me wrong, djokovic is a great player and deserves to be no.1 but his somewhat "easy" journey to getting all grand slams shouldn't be as easy as the media portray it to be. I still think nadal will retain his french open but wouldn't be surprised if djokovic takes it, wimbledon should be the most interesting, hoping for federer to get his 8th there.

Indians Wells and Miami are fine as slow HCs. But I think tournaments like US Open, Paris Bercy and WTF should be fast. There should be more variety indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest