The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mehal
Hi, i'm planning to apply for a pgce in citizenship early May for the year 2015-2016, i was wandering whether universities still accept late applications and what chances i have of actually getting offered a place? I only hav two weeks of work experience and a few hours of mentoring. Thank you.

It's worth a shot, but I echo - more experience. Not only will this strengthen your application, but it will give you a clearer idea of what to expect. I know you probably already know this but the PGCE is bloody hard and you should go into it with both eyes open! It's also a lot of fun though. :smile:

Edit: I forgot to add, I got my place at a good university in July after my original offer fell through. Made no difference whatsoever. So April is not late at all :smile:

---

IT'S EASTER!!! I also got some results back from my first M level essay today and got a high 2:1! Very pleased with that result. Now to relax by planning some more lessons. :smile: I'm so happy that it's Easter that I don't even mind doing more work!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Lightning
Hold on, you got put on for CfC because you have written 'kids' on your detailed lesson plan? Talk about too much.

Not only that, but the quality of planning was deemed not good enough. That and the lesson. And I let him know I wasn't too pleased.
Giving myself a break now for the next few days as I am off to Denmark to visit some friends!! Pretty worried about the amount I still have to do but I've got quite a bit down these past few days so I deserve a bit of a rest!!

Not long now, guys! About 3 months for me...!!
Original post by qwerty_mad
Ahh PGCE planning! I remember when my uni tutor came and literally looked into each and every single word - it was a scrutiny I had never experienced. He even picked up on the language used and wrote on it 'do not use slang in plans'. I had written kids as opposed to children. Of course it wasn't good enough and I was put on for CfC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ridiculous (the being told the language). If you'd written something offensive fair enough, but there isn't space or time to write full length prose every time.

I write chn for children, # for numbers and tbh abbreviate what I can to make the planning fit in a small, more useable space.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
That's ridiculous (the being told the language). If you'd written something offensive fair enough, but there isn't space or time to write full length prose every time.

I write chn for children, # for numbers and tbh abbreviate what I can to make the planning fit in a small, more useable space.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he was always a hard tutor. I don't think he ever liked the fact that I was a quiet member of the group and never shared his passion for music.
Not only that, but the quality of planning was deemed not good enough. That and the lesson. And I let him know I wasn't too pleased.

Shocking to hear that, what did your uni mentor do about it?
Shocking to hear that, what did your uni mentor do about it?

That was my uni tutor. My placement mentor was so much better. I was put on CfC but it wasn't as bad as it could have been because of my placement mentor - she was very understanding and understood that I was finding Reception difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5747
Original post by alabelle
It's worth a shot, but I echo - more experience. Not only will this strengthen your application, but it will give you a clearer idea of what to expect. I know you probably already know this but the PGCE is bloody hard and you should go into it with both eyes open! It's also a lot of fun though. :smile:

Edit: I forgot to add, I got my place at a good university in July after my original offer fell through. Made no difference whatsoever. So April is not late at all :smile:

---

IT'S EASTER!!! I also got some results back from my first M level essay today and got a high 2:1! Very pleased with that result. Now to relax by planning some more lessons. :smile: I'm so happy that it's Easter that I don't even mind doing more work!

What work experience did you have when you applied? I'm finding it really difficult to find work experience at secondary schools. Iv been constantly ringing and emailing schools that the reveptionists now recognise me from my voice!
That was my uni tutor. My placement mentor was so much better. I was put on CfC but it wasn't as bad as it could have been because of my placement mentor - she was very understanding and understood that I was finding Reception difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you finished your pgce now then? What exactly does a CfC mean? I mean, what changes? Do they keep an extra eye on you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mehal
What work experience did you have when you applied? I'm finding it really difficult to find work experience at secondary schools. Iv been constantly ringing and emailing schools that the reveptionists now recognise me from my voice!

I had a year of volunteering one day a week, plus two sets of two weeks in one school and two weeks in another. One of these schools wrote my reference for UCAS. Finding experience was hard but be persistent. Ask to speak to the person in charge of work experience students. If they're busy, ask when would be best to call back. If you can't do that, email someone. Direct to a person is always much better than the admin email. Good luck, just keep on ringing.
Original post by mehal

Also try calling in in person if you can. Obviously the relevant person may be busy and you just have to come back another time, but they're more likely to give you a specific time or appointment, and there's a chance you will get to speak to them straight away. As long as you are persistent but not pushy about it it should help.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Have you finished your pgce now then? What exactly does a CfC mean? I mean, what changes? Do they keep an extra eye on you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this was last year. CfC is apparently your final chance - they give you specific targets which you need to meet. They're supposed to be smaller digestible targets. My placement mentor wasn't really fussed tho. She only went ahead with the CfC because my uni tutor wanted it. Extra eye on me? I couldn't tell tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah this was last year. CfC is apparently your final chance - they give you specific targets which you need to meet. They're supposed to be smaller digestible targets. My placement mentor wasn't really fussed tho. She only went ahead with the CfC because my uni tutor wanted it. Extra eye on me? I couldn't tell tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would understand if your placement mentor put you on CfC but your uni tutor? They are supposed to be on your side and be more supportive!
I would understand if your placement mentor put you on CfC but your uni tutor? They are supposed to be on your side and be more supportive!

He wasn't. I had two tutors and he knew I, and most, preferred the other over him. I'm not saying that was the reason but he definitely had something against me. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have heard that teachers aren't even allowed days off for funerals. Is this true? My nan is in hospital and the doctors said they don't think she is going to pull through. Do I just ask for a day off for a funeral? I'm going - that is non-negotiable, but wondering how to ask.
I have heard that teachers aren't even allowed days off for funerals. Is this true? My nan is in hospital and the doctors said they don't think she is going to pull through. Do I just ask for a day off for a funeral? I'm going - that is non-negotiable, but wondering how to ask.

No, you'll be fine. Usually you get up to five days for urgent family issues, although this can vary according to how arsey the head wants to be. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Teaching is just like any other job - things like bereavements cannot be avoided and I think it varies from school to school, but generally there are some days allocated for this reason (I think from memory it's 5)

On the PGCE too, you're also allowed a certain number of days - for us it's 5 days without having to make those days up (excluding interviews), between 6-10 you may have to make the days up and 10-15 you will have to make the days up.

Any more than that and we are required to resit.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you'll be fine. Usually you get up to five days for urgent family issues, although this can vary according to how arsey the head wants to be. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Original post by Samus2
Teaching is just like any other job - things like bereavements cannot be avoided and I think it varies from school to school, but generally there are some days allocated for this reason (I think from memory it's 5)

On the PGCE too, you're also allowed a certain number of days - for us it's 5 days without having to make those days up (excluding interviews), between 6-10 you may have to make the days up and 10-15 you will have to make the days up.

Any more than that and we are required to resit.

Thanks for letting me know. I am worried about absences but this is different. I've had a total of 12 days off my second placement (had an operation), and 4 off first placement. So 16, but my uni know this and they have never mentioned resitting. I'd like to think they would mention that to me :ninja:
Thanks for letting me know. I am worried about absences but this is different. I've had a total of 12 days off my second placement (had an operation), and 4 off first placement. So 16, but my uni know this and they have never mentioned resitting. I'd like to think they would mention that to me :ninja:

I'm not sure about your universities procedure, but I'd email either the tutor and course director now and let them know that needing more time off is a possibility due to a family member being sick and then ask what the procedure for absence is?

In our student handbook/student guidance booklet is where it tells us the procedure for absence because I'm sure I read somewhere that in order to qualify, we need to complete 120 days in school!

I've known teachers go to funerals, and I imagine it's the same for PGCEs. Just give as much notice as you can and it should be fine. If you were going to be asked to resit, I would imagine that would have already been brought up (I think it has at my university).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending