The Student Room Group

Whats as level geography sayin

For Geography, what is the step up like from GCSE to AS Level. I'm predicted an A for GCSE
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

The only difference I've noticed is not enough time in the exam! Content is pretty similar imo and it really helps if you've done the same modules (I'm doing the same physical modules I did at GCSE) however depends on your exam board and everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it's pretty much the same for the core topics (I did ocr gcse geog and now doing aqa a-level and the core topics are rivers for physical and population for human) and so it's pretty easy because I've done it before.

The optional topics however are a bit different. I'm better at human geog and my optional topic is health which I haven't done before but it's not that bad. On the other hand, I'm doing deserts for optional physical geog which is totally new and quite a lot to learn.

So basically you're 50/50 on the transition. But even so geography is my best and favourite a-level subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chlo_evans
I find it's pretty much the same for the core topics (I did ocr gcse geog and now doing aqa a-level and the core topics are rivers for physical and population for human) and so it's pretty easy because I've done it before.

The optional topics however are a bit different. I'm better at human geog and my optional topic is health which I haven't done before but it's not that bad. On the other hand, I'm doing deserts for optional physical geog which is totally new and quite a lot to learn.

So basically you're 50/50 on the transition. But even so geography is my best and favourite a-level subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you find deserts difficult? Not many people I know from other schools do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wendikorb
Do you find deserts difficult? Not many people I know from other schools do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's quite hard I admit. In some ways it's like rivers as there's certain processes to learn and there's also stuff like erosion in deserts (both water and wind). Once you learn all the processes though it's pretty straightforward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Kai,
I'm doing WJEC A/S Geography and if your doing WJEC, its pretty much the same as what you are doing for GCSE now. To be honest, it isn't much of a step up. Your doing your GCSE work but in a lot more detail and there is a little bit more writing.

However, good luck getting your A in GCSE and I wish you the best of luck for taking A Level Geography!

Thanks,

Paul
A Level Geography & History Sixth Form Student.
Reply 8
Thank you Paul for the advice. Currentley im doing OCR B. Hopefully I can get an A*. At 6th I will be doing Edexcel. How hard is it to get an A in AS-Level Geography
Hi Kai,
Not very hard if you work at it! I suggest that you Google, 'WJEC/Edexcel Grade boundaries boundaries' to see how hard it is to get the marks. The marks between each grades is crazy! It's like a difference between 4 marks between an A and a B. Check it out!

Best of luck!

Paul

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending