The Student Room Group

Really worried I've left this too late...

I take a few gcses a year early, and the first one is on the 11th of May which is R.E and I haven't started revising and then I've got maths at the beginning of June, and these two are the ones I should revise for. Have I left it too late? I also have activities on the weekends like d of e exhibitions so I am limited with time. Please can someone offer me some advice? My target grades are a*.

Scroll to see replies

You still have time.

Just try your best and give this rest of this month your all.
Original post by German123
You still have time.

Just try your best and give this rest of this month your all.

Thank you, will do:smile:
Original post by Tiger-lily15
I take a few gcses a year early, and the first one is on the 11th of May which is R.E and I haven't started revising and then I've got maths at the beginning of June, and these two are the ones I should revise for. Have I left it too late? I also have activities on the weekends like d of e exhibitions so I am limited with time. Please can someone offer me some advice? My target grades are a*.

You'll be fine. Start now and you still have just enough time... For R.E. - notes, flashcards, whatever you can... (Don't do it so I'm not too sure :smile:) Maths - past papers, past papers, past papers. Maths is a subject you have to practice and doing past papers will help you get used to the formatting. Do any you can find - even different exam boards as the content is pretty much the same. And make sure you understand all the topics... Get someone to go over any topics you don't really understand or there are plenty of videos on YouTube if you type in 'GCSE...' Then you're topic... If you're going for an A or A* you want to try and make sure you understand all of the topics really well... Can't help you with R.E. but feel free to PM me about maths :smile:
And finally (and this is advice for me too... )Get off the Internet and start revising!
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you, will do

:smile:
Thank you, will do:smile:

You should use mathswatch for maths. There are also good vidoes I seen on youtube.
Reply 6

Maths is just practice until you understand it, once you understand it I find it's stuck there forever. RE, I'm afraid that's to do with remembering stuff so flash cards and that sort of stuff help

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have time, I mean it. I don't know about you but RE is fairly easy to revise. I completed mine early and I made sure I remembered religious quotes and teachings from two religions. I ended up getting an A*. I revised for that subject for less than a month as I worked hard in class. You'll be fine!!
Man people leave things this late before they start revising systematically, even for their full GCSEs (though I don't recommend it, or course).

There are many different ways to do it - you will find your own. However, from my own experience, I would keep in mind the following.
- The most important thing is being systematic and thorough. If you don't understand something (this applies mainly to maths and sciences), understand it before you move on. It is better to do most of the course thoroughly and skim the rest than to skim it all and leave big gaps.
- With maths, it's all about practice. Do every exercise in the book (every even question / every third question etc if you don't have time or have a massive textbook). Mark your own answers and work out why you were wrong. I can't stress this enough.
- With RS, you have probably absorbed more in class than you think. However, you should still go through the syllabus systematically, making sure you understand everything, and have a list of quotes to memorise just before the exam. If you have time, read around the subject - dropping in an off-syllabus philosopher could look very impressive at GCSE (but make sure you get the context right, and the syllabus is your priority).
Don't worry about RS, learn a couple of quotations and you should be set. When I did it (summer 2011/12, two exams a year apart) a monkey in it's sleep could pass it, and it was ridiculously easy to get full UMS on both papers with no work.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by #sarahsmith2
You'll be fine. Start now and you still have just enough time... For R.E. - notes, flashcards, whatever you can... (Don't do it so I'm not too sure :smile:) Maths - past papers, past papers, past papers. Maths is a subject you have to practice and doing past papers will help you get used to the formatting. Do any you can find - even different exam boards as the content is pretty much the same. And make sure you understand all the topics... Get someone to go over any topics you don't really understand or there are plenty of videos on YouTube if you type in 'GCSE...' Then you're topic... If you're going for an A or A* you want to try and make sure you understand all of the topics really well... Can't help you with R.E. but feel free to PM me about maths :smile:
And finally (and this is advice for me too... )Get off the Internet and start revising!

thank you so much! X
Hate to state the obvious but maybe if you got off TSR and opened some books ......?
Reply 13
Try making a timetable where you type in a percentage of time you need to spend on each subject and the amount of hours you are able to revise per day. This will give you the amount of time you should spend on each topic ( I would recommend using excel for this). You could also look over your books over breakfast, dinner or lunch. It worked for me

make sure you don't stop doing all of your activities or you WILL be burnt out by June, just make sure you use the time you have available wisely.
Hey - my R.E. exam's that day too! The second one's on June 11th for me, what about you?
I started writing notes for the exam on Friday. Real late, I know. But everyone I've talked to isn't bothering to revise (praying for low grade boundaries 'cos everyone's lazy... :angel: ) so I feel like I've got a leg-up in that respect. I really don't think it's too late. Math, if you're taking it early, you must be pretty good at anyway. I REALLY can't help on that though. I'm crap enough that the class clapped me when I got a 10 in my homework! :redface:
It's really not too late to start. The math I'd say is your priority though. RE is really not sought after, but is an easy A imo. Just try your hardest. Rote memorisation is really the way to go for quotes. Past papers are your DREAM here, especially for the really blunt E-questions (I HATE them!).

If you need a study partner for the RE, I'm here. Inbox me if so - I'm pretty dedicated and I know 87% of the content already, so I'll help all I can.
Original post by Jay Rye
Try making a timetable where you type in a percentage of time you need to spend on each subject and the amount of hours you are able to revise per day. This will give you the amount of time you should spend on each topic ( I would recommend using excel for this). You could also look over your books over breakfast, dinner or lunch. It worked for me

make sure you don't stop doing all of your activities or you WILL be burnt out by June, just make sure you use the time you have available wisely.

Great advice, thank you
Original post by get_in_the_robot
Hey - my R.E. exam's that day too! The second one's on June 11th for me, what about you?
I started writing notes for the exam on Friday. Real late, I know. But everyone I've talked to isn't bothering to revise (praying for low grade boundaries 'cos everyone's lazy... :angel: ) so I feel like I've got a leg-up in that respect. I really don't think it's too late. Math, if you're taking it early, you must be pretty good at anyway. I REALLY can't help on that though. I'm crap enough that the class clapped me when I got a 10 in my homework! :redface:
It's really not too late to start. The math I'd say is your priority though. RE is really not sought after, but is an easy A imo. Just try your hardest. Rote memorisation is really the way to go for quotes. Past papers are your DREAM here, especially for the really blunt E-questions (I HATE them!).

If you need a study partner for the RE, I'm here. Inbox me if so - I'm pretty dedicated and I know 87% of the content already, so I'll help all I can.

me too! So glad they are a month apart haha! Thank you, yeah luckily I've got May half term for maths too. Thank you for your help! I think I'll start this weekend! Have you written down quotes to learn yet! Thank you x
me too! So glad they are a month apart haha! Thank you, yeah luckily I've got May half term for maths too. Thank you for your help! I think I'll start this weekend! Have you written down quotes to learn yet! Thank you x

I have quotes for every unit there is, although only my Ethics ones are streamlined (I went through them and picked a few per unit, cut 'em right down... :biggrin:). I can send a few of them your way if you wish.
Original post by get_in_the_robot
I have quotes for every unit there is, although only my Ethics ones are streamlined (I went through them and picked a few per unit, cut 'em right down... :biggrin:). I can send a few of them your way if you wish.

Yeah haha I better do that soon! So much effort haha! Thank you but it's alright I have to read through the textbook anyway! :smile:
The whole textbook?!? Good god, I've never even opened mine. Reading the whole thing takes farrr too much time - I used a five-page revision guide per topic and get As in my practice papers :holmes: I'd use it sparingly if I were you. I'm not stopping you, but the two textbooks would take hell of a long time to get through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest