The Student Room Group

Religious P+E or Classical Civilisation A Level?

I want to do a degree in Law/ International Relations/ European social + Political studies.

My AS options are: English Literature, Spanish, Politics and one from Religious Philosophy + Ethics and Classical Civilisation.
I don't know which I would be dropping for A2. I'm doing RS for Gcse but won't have studied classics before. :smile:

Has anyone done either of these? Are they hard/ interesting? Which is more essay based?

And which do you think would be best for the degree courses I have mentioned?

Thank you!
Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Bump//
I'm in my first year of doing OCR A-level Classical Civilization, we're doing Homer and Tragedy. I hadn't done anything like it before but I really like it. You study the Odyssey, you basically need to know this book inside out and you learn all the context around it to. For Tragedy we study 4 plays, again you have to know the plot pretty well but you also learn all the context around it. You learn a lot about Ancient Greek society through these books, and lots of quirky mythological tales which are never boring. The essays aren't that bad, they don't expect anything very long. You do a little bit of literacy techniques used by the authors, but it's not very much. It's largely about themes. If you like the historical aspect of GCSE English Literature I'd definitely do AS Classical Civilization :smile:
Original post by rebeccaparfett
I'm in my first year of doing OCR A-level Classical Civilization, we're doing Homer and Tragedy. I hadn't done anything like it before but I really like it. You study the Odyssey, you basically need to know this book inside out and you learn all the context around it to. For Tragedy we study 4 plays, again you have to know the plot pretty well but you also learn all the context around it. You learn a lot about Ancient Greek society through these books, and lots of quirky mythological tales which are never boring. The essays aren't that bad, they don't expect anything very long. You do a little bit of literacy techniques used by the authors, but it's not very much. It's largely about themes. If you like the historical aspect of GCSE English Literature I'd definitely do AS Classical Civilization :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest