The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliemoriartyell
do you ever just think "...wtf man i'm actually gonna be a vet" :eek: it is the life dream

The thought gets more scary the further along you go :tongue:
do you ever just think "...wtf man i'm actually gonna be a vet" :eek: it is the life dream

Yeah and it's freaking insane! So excited!!
Reply 6922
Original post by CanineVet
Firmed my Glasgow offer last night! I'm super excited for this year now :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Posted from TSR Mobile

crazy thinking that the people you've seen or spoke to on this are gonna be the people you're spending the next 5 years with!! See ya in September :biggrin:
Original post by mk981
crazy thinking that the people you've seen or spoke to on this are gonna be the people you're spending the next 5 years with!! See ya in September :biggrin:

It is crazy! And there's also that element of will they/ will I make the grades, it's very tense haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mk981

Not everyone on here is so lucky so we need to be a bit respectful and sensitive. I am starting in Liverpool this year but it took me 2 years to get on and I remember how I felt last year when I got knocked back. Keep going all of you who have had bad news you will get there in the end.....
Original post by davesmith
Not everyone on here is so lucky so we need to be a bit respectful and sensitive. I am starting in Liverpool this year but it took me 2 years to get on and I remember how I felt last year when I got knocked back. Keep going all of you who have had bad news you will get there in the end.....

I'm a year late too, keep going everyone cos if you have passion you can do anything. never give up, every single one of us will make a cracking vet I'm sure.
Reply 6926
I'm also a reapplicant and managed to gain an offer this year... Don't give up and try to improve and if it's meant to be it will happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6927
Has anybody got an example of a timetable for this year at vet school?? Preferably liverpool but any place would do!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, provided you pass all your vet school exams etc. Wait until you start, you'll realise there's a whole lot to get through before you're MRCVS.
After firming glasgow did anyone get a confirmation email? I firmed on UCAS but haven't heard anything from glasgow themselves?
Reply 6930
Original post by Hopefulvet97
After firming glasgow did anyone get a confirmation email? I firmed on UCAS but haven't heard anything from glasgow themselves?

Same I didn't even receive a confirmation email from UCAS but don't worry I have emailed the uni and they said they would send it shortly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still haven't heard from Nottingham- is there honestly ANY chance that they are going to give out more offers, or should I withdraw and firm one of my other choices?
Original post by emmiehunters96
Still haven't heard from Nottingham- is there honestly ANY chance that they are going to give out more offers, or should I withdraw and firm one of my other choices?

I withdrew and firmed glasgow because I didn't want to miss out on decent halls!
Reply 6933
Original post by 0802
I'm also a reapplicant and managed to gain an offer this year... Don't give up and try to improve and if it's meant to be it will happen
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have read this thread for the past 2 years its clear that you shouldnt give up too easily. However, reapplying is not for everyone
Of course the person with 4 interviews and no offers should reapply if they still want to be a vet. But people nowhere near the grades need to think more carefully

The only other thing that has come up recently is that we all need to be sensitive to those with no offers and be careful about agonising over choosing between 3 places. Not nice reading for some
Original post by D of T
If you have read this thread for the past 2 years its clear that you shouldnt give up too easily. However, reapplying is not for everyone
Of course the person with 4 interviews and no offers should reapply if they still want to be a vet. But people nowhere near the grades need to think more carefully

The only other thing that has come up recently is that we all need to be sensitive to those with no offers and be careful about agonising over choosing between 3 places. Not nice reading for some

I don't think you can tell people off for their success and wanting to share it and hear other people's opinions on unis. Obviously it's super ****ty for those who haven't got places, having been rejected from unis before I know how it feels. And as you said, try, try and try again! But for those with offers, I'm sure their last intention is wanting to make people feel crappy.
Choosing a uni is a life changing decision. Some people just don't suit some unis, and that's why forums like these are so useful. It gives people a chance to share insights into things they know/ may have noticed when looking round unis etc, that others may not have picked up on. Others might simply not be so fortunate as to be able to visit all the unis in the country given their financial, localisation or other circumstances.

Anyone who has multiple offers or just the one: be proud! Congratulations! I hope you find nuggets of useful info on here :smile:

Those who have not been successful: don't be disheartened, use your time wisely. Whether it is an enriching, confidence-building gap year or embarking upon an alternative degree (this is what I have done), make the most of it, build yourself up in every way possible.. Ask for feedback if you had an interview, take it on board and don't be stubborn, but DO NOT take it severely to heart. They have you're best interests and want you to succeed. If you aren't such a confident individual, go travelling, get a job, interact with others. Enrich yourself!

As for those who are 'nowhere near the grades', I urge you not to 'think more carefully' just yet, but merely attack the problem from a different angle. I didn't have the grades at A-level, but have since completed a BSc. The amount I have developed in my maturity, knowledge and social ability is indescribable. This is reflected in the success of my application this year - choosing which uni frankly is agonising because I wish I had only one place and didn't have to make he choice and wish that each of my other offers had gone to other individuals who have missed out.

Veterinary isn't for everyone, and you may even realise this on your gap years/ alternative degrees etc. But if it really is for you: DONT GIVE UP!!
Congratulations to those who have been successful and to those who have not: if it's meant to be, it shall be! Best of luck, and see some of you lot in September!
Original post by qwertyhg
I don't think you can tell people off for their success and wanting to share it and hear other people's opinions on unis. Obviously it's super ****ty for those who haven't got places, having been rejected from unis before I know how it feels. And as you said, try, try and try again! But for those with offers, I'm sure their last intention is wanting to make people feel crappy.
Choosing a uni is a life changing decision. Some people just don't suit some unis, and that's why forums like these are so useful. It gives people a chance to share insights into things they know/ may have noticed when looking round unis etc, that others may not have picked up on. Others might simply not be so fortunate as to be able to visit all the unis in the country given their financial, localisation or other circumstances.

Anyone who has multiple offers or just the one: be proud! Congratulations! I hope you find nuggets of useful info on here :smile:

Those who have not been successful: don't be disheartened, use your time wisely. Whether it is an enriching, confidence-building gap year or embarking upon an alternative degree (this is what I have done), make the most of it, build yourself up in every way possible.. Ask for feedback if you had an interview, take it on board and don't be stubborn, but DO NOT take it severely to heart. They have you're best interests and want you to succeed. If you aren't such a confident individual, go travelling, get a job, interact with others. Enrich yourself!

As for those who are 'nowhere near the grades', I urge you not to 'think more carefully' just yet, but merely attack the problem from a different angle. I didn't have the grades at A-level, but have since completed a BSc. The amount I have developed in my maturity, knowledge and social ability is indescribable. This is reflected in the success of my application this year - choosing which uni frankly is agonising because I wish I had only one place and didn't have to make he choice and wish that each of my other offers had gone to other individuals who have missed out.

Veterinary isn't for everyone, and you may even realise this on your gap years/ alternative degrees etc. But if it really is for you: DONT GIVE UP!!
Congratulations to those who have been successful and to those who have not: if it's meant to be, it shall be! Best of luck, and see some of you lot in September!

Totally agree with you! I did another degree first and telling people who are nowhere near the grades to think more carefully isn't helpful as there are other routes they can take! Also I know it's tough not getting offers, but celebrating your success is just as important and one day the people that don't have offers may be the ones on here celebrating if they work hard at it :smile:
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on retakes? Im in year 13 atm, but didn't apply this year as im taking a gap. However, I am due to have pretty serious surgery at the end of may which means exams are out of the window :frown: does anyone know where most uni's stand with retaking A2? Thanks :smile: x
Original post by millyc97
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on retakes? Im in year 13 atm, but didn't apply this year as im taking a gap. However, I am due to have pretty serious surgery at the end of may which means exams are out of the window :frown: does anyone know where most uni's stand with retaking A2? Thanks :smile: x

Edinburgh, Glasgow and I think Cambridge like to have alevels done within the 2 years, but I think the rest don't mind as long as you get the grades!
People who have firmed Surrey have you thought about where you want to apply for accommodation? Manor park or stag hill campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vethopeful2015
People who have firmed Surrey have you thought about where you want to apply for accommodation? Manor park or stag hill campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I've firmed Surrey!! I'll see you there in September! On the accommodation site you only put your preferred band. So if you wanted manor park you put band D as your first choice, but you could get put in any band D or your 2nd choice. I think if you get one you don't like you can always swap with someone else.
but I would prefer manor park becasue all 3 of the vet buildings are right next to it and I wouldn't have to catch a bus every day
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending