The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
I do Maths Further maths and physics do I have the right then? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL no!
I do Maths Further maths and physics do I have the right then? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at a higher point in education and currently on track for a first this year in my Computer Science degree does that give me the right to look down on you? Lol stupid A level students need to get a grip on real life :P

(that was a joke BTW, I wouldn't look down on people based on what they were doing education wised)
Original post by yt7777
I'm at a higher point in education and currently on track for a first this year in my Computer Science degree does that give me the right to look down on you? Lol stupid A level students need to get a grip on real life :P

(that was a joke BTW, I wouldn't look down on people based on what they were doing education wised)

I was reacting to his comment btw lol. If i thought it was true i wouldve said ages ago 'oh i got into cambridge and do the hardest a levels so i can look down on you' i didnt so! . I just don't agree with the fact that BTEC's are as hard as A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777

Oh and your only at a higher point because you are older lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was reacting to his comment btw lol. If i thought it was true i wouldve said ages ago 'oh i got into cambridge and do the hardest a levels so i can look down on you' i didnt so! . I just don't agree with the fact that BTEC's are as hard as A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was joking too (as I said) BTW are you going to respond to my earlier comment? :P

Why don't you agree? I gave examples in my previous post
Original post by yt7777
I was joking too (as I said) BTW are you going to respond to my earlier comment? :P

Why don't you agree? I gave examples in my previous post

A levels and BTEC might cover the same content but a levels are hrder because of the examinations. People in my school doing btec and a levels agree .

Posted from TSR Mobile
A levels and BTEC might cover the same content but a levels are hrder because of the examinations. People in my school doing btec and a levels agree .

Posted from TSR Mobile

But exams aren't always an accurate representation of someone's intelligence, some people get Ill over the stress due to the build up to them - I heard that on the radio the other day

And yes coursework you can look things up but you can't just copy like most people think you can, you have to learn it and put your knowledge across it a well presented way, also BTEC deadlines are so frequent I don't know how people call them easy, not only that you have to actually learn so much and I can recall most of what I learnt on my BTRC which has helped me so much at university
Original post by lucy.stephens2
That is a really really uneducated view! I am doing a BTEC not because I am less able but because I have extreme exam anxiety! When doing A levels I got A's in all my coursework but because my courses were exam based I didn't do well. Now on a BTEC course I am getting Distinction's first time for all my assignments. Is that really what a less-able student would get?

This is why I went to the effort of underlining, italicising and making bold the word "majority" Of course there are exceptions, and of course I might even be wrong, but this is irrelevant :smile:

Original post by lucy.stephens2
If universities accept BTECS as well as A levels then there shouldn't be a contest.

Yeah but not as good unis :smile:
Original post by Patrick2810
This is why I went to the effort of underlining, italicising and making bold the word "majority" Of course there are exceptions, and of course I might even be wrong, but this is irrelevant :smile:

So what if they don't go to so called 'good unis' if they want to study a specific subject they could get the same degree from a good uni and from not so top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
So what if they don't go to so called 'good unis' if they want to study a specific subject they could get the same degree from a good uni and from not so top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true.....
Original post by Patrick2810

Good unis do accept BTEC
Original post by yt7777
Good unis do accept BTEC

Not this point again 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not this point again 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

The struggles of lifee!!! Going to a top uni don't matter as long as you get the degree!!
Not this point again 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they do...
Original post by Sandra1

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so true.. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarahlimonx
But they do...

For some/very few courses. That is for a reason. Also I said not this point again because we already discussed it earlier, wasn't starting another argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
The struggles of lifee!!! Going to a top uni don't matter as long as you get the degree!!

That is a lie. It is basically like saying to people like me and others oh don't worry how hard you have worked to get into cambridge your degree is worth the same as someone from london met. If you think this is true your seriously deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1

Depends on the degree. Law firms won't be snatching up London Met grads any time soon but they will be recruiting at Nottingham.

Nursing, Social Work + other allied health professions and Engineering (accredited of course) are the only exceptions to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Depends on the degree. Law firms won't be snatching up London Met grads any time soon but they will be recruiting at Nottingham.

Nursing, Social Work + other allied health professions and Engineering (accredited of course) are the only exceptions to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, top unis offering nursing and social work are definitely more favoured too due to better practical placements carried out during the course.
Not this point again 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a valid point to make, this user gas posted something that isn't correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending