The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't have the answer to this, but I know how you feel about some 20 zones! I live in a city where the mayor just wants everywhere to be a blanket 20 zone, regardless if it is safe to go faster. Around by schools in schools hours, and down narrow roads with low visibility/lots of pedestrians I think they're justified, but for some roads it is just ridiculous. Everyone seems to go at 30 down some particular roads, especially at night when it's completely clear, and I feel like I'm holding people up by going at 20 - I get tailedgated pretty badly down there, people flash their full beams...but it is very clearly a 20 zone as it has the speed limit painted on the roads, and there are regular, clear signs. I'd feel happy driving at 30 there, but I don't want to be caught speeding when I've only had my licence a few months :frown:
Reply 2
Sorry for quoting DM but here's a relevant article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372630/Drivers-exceed-speed-limit-10mph-escape-points-fines-brings-speed-cameras.html

I wouldn't cut it that close though (by that, I mean driving 10mph over). After all, those cameras are known to make a lot of profit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _N_
I don't have the answer to this, but I know how you feel about some 20 zones! I live in a city where the mayor just wants everywhere to be a blanket 20 zone, regardless if it is safe to go faster. Around by schools in schools hours, and down narrow roads with low visibility/lots of pedestrians I think they're justified, but for some roads it is just ridiculous. Everyone seems to go at 30 down some particular roads, especially at night when it's completely clear, and I feel like I'm holding people up by going at 20 - I get tailedgated pretty badly down there, people flash their full beams...but it is very clearly a 20 zone as it has the speed limit painted on the roads, and there are regular, clear signs. I'd feel happy driving at 30 there, but I don't want to be caught speeding when I've only had my licence a few months :frown:

Briz?
I have a black box, I called them before taking out the policy and they said just don't do over 100 on the motorway or anything stupid on 30mph roads, Doing 30 in a 20 will be fine just don't get caught speeding

I'm with direct line

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zuki
There are a few roads around my area which have a stupid limit of 20, which nobody ever follows. I remember learning to drive and sticking to 20 and everybody behind me would get frustrated. If a road is 20 and I do 25, would it be an issue?

A lot of inner London boroughs have gone 20mph, except now they put down the bigger 20mph signs and stuck in little ones, so now I get a few people kind of revving up behind who don't know the speed limit. Luckily the nice long roads are still 30mph.
They're not very strict in all honesty, as long as you don't take the piss they won't pull you up on it.
I've had a black box for the past 10 months ... they're not strict. My insurance haven't mentioned anything and my premium hasn't gone up (yet), and, in all honestly, I'm a bit silly. I drive far too fast. Not boy-racer, red line style, but I generally drive quite fast. The only thing I'm cautious off is the 100MPH insta-ban (so the fastest I ever go is 95~).

So to answer your question: not very strict at all.
Reply 8
With mine i got to 70mph in a 60 zone accidently, and they didnt care. mine were pretty relaxed. ive also done 40/50 in a 30 zone and still they dont mind. ive only done it in quiet areas mind you with no cars around. Reduced insurance by £30 by having it in though and i only had it for one month.
Reply 9
General rule used to be 10%+3 but I'm not sure if it still is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
also hoping to find out!! im bored of sitting at 28/29 in a 30 in case i get pulled up on it, how strict are they?
I found this on admirals website and I have had a box for two years and I am abit of a speed merchant on the motorway and nothing has ever been said to me!

'Myth 7: Insurance companies monitor your driving and then inform the police if you were committing a speeding offence
Admiral does not inform the police if the data collected suggests you were just committing a speeding offence. We will only share data if a police inquiry is made or a serious incident has occurred.'
Just dont get a sodding black box. They arent always cheaper anyway.
Original post by Burridge
I've had a black box for the past 10 months ... they're not strict. My insurance haven't mentioned anything and my premium hasn't gone up (yet), and, in all honestly, I'm a bit silly. I drive far too fast. Not boy-racer, red line style, but I generally drive quite fast. The only thing I'm cautious off is the 100MPH insta-ban (so the fastest I ever go is 95~).

So to answer your question: not very strict at all.

So did your insurance price increase at all for the next year then?
Original post by 581371
There are a few roads around my area which have a stupid limit of 20, which nobody ever follows. I remember learning to drive and sticking to 20 and everybody behind me would get frustrated. If a road is 20 and I do 25, would it be an issue?

Highly depends on the insurer, some are lenient, some are strict, some don't care.

For example, I'm with Tesco Bank Box and have been for 2 years and I've never had anything come back about how I drive, and for example, I normally do 60+ in 50s, 65-70 in 60 zones in single carriageway, and 95+ on motorways most of the time. Never gotten phone calls for a speeding ticket, count me lucky.

Before people call me irresponsible and dangerous, I only do these speeds when the time permits and with motorway speeding, I always make sure that I know the motorway and make sure there arent average speed cameras like on the M25.
Original post by PhilipG1
Highly depends on the insurer, some are lenient, some are strict, some don't care.

For example, I'm with Tesco Bank Box and have been for 2 years and I've never had anything come back about how I drive, and for example, I normally do 60+ in 50s, 65-70 in 60 zones in single carriageway, and 95+ on motorways most of the time. Never gotten phone calls for a speeding ticket, count me lucky.

Before people call me irresponsible and dangerous, I only do these speeds when the time permits and with motorway speeding, I always make sure that I know the motorway and make sure there arent average speed cameras like on the M25.

You have a black box fitted, do >95mph on motorways 'most of the time' yet have never 'had an issue' with your insurers...

Interesting. Does this sound particularly credible, were we to use this anecdote as a general rule? i.e., it doesn't really matter whether or not you've got a black box fitted - just drive as you feel like...

You're a new driver. You don't 'know' any motorways. If you're regularly driving at >95mph then, frankly, you could be a danger to yourself and others.
Original post by Reality Check
You have a black box fitted, do >95mph on motorways 'most of the time' yet have never 'had an issue' with your insurers...

Interesting. Does this sound particularly credible, were we to use this anecdote as a general rule? i.e., it doesn't really matter whether or not you've got a black box fitted - just drive as you feel like...

You're a new driver. You don't 'know' any motorways. If you're regularly driving at >95mph then, frankly, you are a danger to yourself and others. And I will call you irresponsible and dangerous. Because that's exactly what you are, by your own admission.

I've been driving for 2 years, driven up and down the country and worked as a driver driving cars/vans. I drive on motorways most of the time I'm driving, I've driven up and down the M1, M3 numerous times, A34 a sickening amount of times, M27, M4, full circle of the M25 and I basically live on the M40, so next time. DON'T call me out on not 'knowing' any motorways... and yes, I've not had an issue from my insurer. People normally get phone calls or emails stating some *******s that "you've been driving irresponsibly" followed by a threaten for their insurance to be cancelled, Tesco haven't given me any of that, only the lack of bonus miles due to a mixture of factors like "lack of breaks whilst on a long journey, time of day when driving and speeding"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
You're a new driver. You don't 'know' any motorways..

Whilst I am with you on everything else you said, I must disagree with this statement. Within a year I've covered upwards of 40,000 miles, whereby 80% consisted of solely motorways. When you travel the same stretch of road constantly, you do tend to get a feel for its nuances, and whilst it is highly unusual for a new driver to drive like this, it does happen.

I am not commenting on Philip's driving habits, merely stating a fact based around anecdotal evidence.

Love you, RC <3
Original post by IWMTom
Whilst I am with you on everything else you said, I must disagree with this statement. Within a year I've covered upwards of 40,000 miles, whereby 80% consisted of solely motorways. When you travel the same stretch of road constantly, you do tend to get a feel for its nuances, and whilst it is highly unusual for a new driver to drive like this, it does happen.

I am not commenting on Philip's driving habits, merely stating a fact based around anecdotal evidence.

Love you, RC <3

Haha! And yes, actually on reflection I agree with you. You don't have to have driven on a road for 20 years to get to know it.

The rest of the comments regarding his dangerous driving, stands :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Haha! And yes, actually on reflection I agree with you. You don't have to have driven on a road for 20 years to get to know it.

Much better :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending