The Student Room Group

Edexcel As Economics May 11/18th Exam Thread Unit 1 and 2

Hey guys, I thought I'd start the AS threads for Edexcel economics...feel free to discuss exam preparation or post questions that you're stuck with

Scroll to see replies

Do you find Unit 1 or Unit 2 harder?
Reply 2
Hey, how do you revise for economics and from what textbook? Also how do i improve my exam techniques?
Reply 3
Original post by Livs_Hannah

unit 1...mostly section b... :frown: wbu?
Reply 4
Original post by Livs_Hannah

i find unit 1 harder, i'm an A2 student retaking both Unit 1 and 2 to try and bump my grade, i got 2 average C's, higher marks in unit 2.
Most people I know struggled with Unit 1 more, I'm not sure whether it's the multiple choice or essays which catch people out, but people tend to be more comfortable with unit 2.
Trying to focus on Unit 1 today but it feels like I'm starting from scratch :unimpressed:
Reply 5
hey i am re taking unit 1 economics this year, i did better in unit 2 although the questions where harder, but mark scheme for unit 1 was extremely harsh. really need to focus on key terms
Reply 6
Original post by Helpme.
Hey, how do you revise for economics and from what textbook? Also how do i improve my exam techniques?

i do spider diagrams and work through the syllabus specification which you can get online. also the revision books are really helpful mainly revise out of them.
to improve exam technique you just have to do lots of past papers
Reply 7
Original post by smartd
i do spider diagrams and work through the syllabus specification which you can get online. also the revision books are really helpful mainly revise out of them.
to improve exam technique you just have to do lots of past papers

is the spec long? and thanks :biggrin:
Reply 8
Any predictions for 30 markers or anything else?
Reply 9
Original post by Helpme.
is the spec long? and thanks :biggrin:

no took me 2 solid days to make notes you can get it on edexcel website
Reply 10
Original post by dk3
Any predictions for 30 markers or anything else?

don't think it will be external ties but hard to say as they are changing this course soon so who knows what they might dig up from their resources
hows revision going all?
Original post by Helpme.

Some good youtube videos for economics include Acdc economics (something along those lines), pajholden and khanacademy if you are more of an audiovisual learner. Also, getrevising has a few revision notes of high quality that I am rewriting in my own words.
Using notes and documents to answer exam questions and then trying without notes is an effective way to not only revise the content, but nail the exam techniques too.
Instead of flashcards, I use this app called Evernote, which is a great note taking app which I type my notes up on my laptop and it syncs with my phone, giving me access to these notes at all times, even without internet access.
Obviously, revision guides are a good way to revise, but instead of reading a topic front to back, read it back to front. This way, you first get a summary of the content, then the detail which is useful.
Economics help and tutor2u are good websites to refer to when revising and I also use them for diagrams
Having a copy of the syllabus is great as it allows you to track your progress and see what you need to know for the exam.
Reply 13
Original post by Aquatix96
Some good youtube videos for economics include Acdc economics (something along those lines), pajholden and khanacademy if you are more of an audiovisual learner. Also, getrevising has a few revision notes of high quality that I am rewriting in my own words.
Using notes and documents to answer exam questions and then trying without notes is an effective way to not only revise the content, but nail the exam techniques too.
Instead of flashcards, I use this app called Evernote, which is a great note taking app which I type my notes up on my laptop and it syncs with my phone, giving me access to these notes at all times, even without internet access.
Obviously, revision guides are a good way to revise, but instead of reading a topic front to back, read it back to front. This way, you first get a summary of the content, then the detail which is useful.
Economics help and tutor2u are good websites to refer to when revising and I also use them for diagrams
Having a copy of the syllabus is great as it allows you to track your progress and see what you need to know for the exam.

I think I don't have that much time to do all of that, but will do some key ones... really helpful thanks and hopefully you get an A, 90+
Original post by Helpme.
I think I don't have that much time to do all of that, but will do some key ones... really helpful thanks and hopefully you get an A, 90+

You're welcome, and thanks. Hope you get at least 99%, haha :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Aquatix96
You're welcome, and thanks. Hope you get at least 99%, haha :biggrin:

was that meant to be sarcasm
I find unit 2 a lot harder than unit 1, but tbh that may be because I haven't really touched economics (especially unit 2) in a long time.
I'm really worried, I've self taught myself unit 1 and partially Unit 2 because our teacher bangs on about the news and sells us books. I mean I understand its important but its not that deep. I suggest for revision use paj holdens videos I learnt alot on dat and also practice 30 markers but make sure u practice the other marks. Ensure you practice multiple choice and know the spec back to front. If anyone has good revision methods pease elaborate on them, Thank you! Excuse the slang, I'm lazy
Reply 18
I got an E in my Unit 1 mock. Pretty concerned about this. But considering that I only revised for a day or two then... and made notes. I guess it didn't help.

But I find YouTube useful for me to revise Economics.
Other than Paj Holden, there's another guy. He's quite new though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EconplusDal
I would try to get the tutor2u revision notes. The micro and macro revision guides are £5 each and well worth the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending