The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

How is teaching at Essex?

I have just been admitted at Essex for the Actuarial Science Degree. How would you describe your years from an academic point of view there if you have studied this degree? Is it better than Herriot-Watt for instance?
Don't know what Herriot-Watt is, but from my experience, a lot of the lecturers read off the slides. Powerpoints are up to 60 slides long with just black on white text or some diagram.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mine turtle
Don't know what Herriot-Watt is, but from my experience, a lot of the lecturers read off the slides. Powerpoints are up to 60 slides long with just black on white text or some diagram.

Thank you for your answer! Are you sure? What about the Seminars? Do they at least make the lecture interesting? Don't they do examples as well on blackboard during lecture? I really need to know! Don't just scare me off like that. :P
I am used to learn maths mostly from doing applications rather than from learning it from "black and white text slides".
Thank you!
Cris
Original post by Cristian92
Thank you for your answer! Are you sure? What about the Seminars? Do they at least make the lecture interesting? Don't they do examples as well on blackboard during lecture? I really need to know! Don't just scare me off like that. :P
I am used to learn maths mostly from doing applications rather than from learning it from "black and white text slides".
Thank you!
Cris

They are up to 60 slides long. Been that way since second year.

Some might write stuff on the white board, but a lot of the time they don't bother. A lot of what they say is word for word what's on the slides (but then, there is a fair bit they expand on too). A lot of slides are black on white text, where there is a diagram or schematic, it's not really labelled in a way you can tell what it is after the lecture (there's no figure legend either) unless you're listening on listen again or got the notes first time. Student attrition rates are high as well in lectures. Might say you're better off listening on listen again than attending live (but they monitor attendance now, so you're out of luck). Some are better than others. This is biomedical science though, don't know about maths

One of the best lecturers didn't use PowerPoint at all, just a few handouts and you remember everything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mine turtle
They are up to 60 slides long. Been that way since second year.

Some might write stuff on the white board, but a lot of the time they don't bother. A lot of what they say is word for word what's on the slides (but then, there is a fair bit they expand on too). A lot of slides are black on white text, where there is a diagram or schematic, it's not really labelled in a way you can tell what it is after the lecture (there's no figure legend either) unless you're listening on listen again or got the notes first time. Student attrition rates are high as well in lectures. Might say you're better off listening on listen again than attending live (but they monitor attendance now, so you're out of luck). Some are better than others. This is biomedical science though, don't know about maths

One of the best lecturers didn't use PowerPoint at all, just a few handouts and you remember everything.

I see! I want to ask you something and I hope you don't mind, but could you help me get me in touch with someone from the Maths Deapartment, preferabily a student (Much better if he is doing or has done actuarial science)? Thanks again!
Original post by Cristian92
I have just been admitted at Essex for the Actuarial Science Degree. How would you describe your years from an academic point of view there if you have studied this degree? Is it better than Herriot-Watt for instance?

They don't "teach", they "lecture" you. So they will just talk at you, rather than having you to discuss things. This is what uni is, regardless of where you go and what subject you do. The discussions are for seminars, whilst lectures are just for when they chuck loads of information at you, and that's when you have to condense and understand what was said in that lec in your own time.

Uni is all about independent learning. They don't teach you anything as that is what Level 3 (A-level/BTECs) is for. They teach you the skills you needs that will prepare you for independent work at undergraduate level. How you learn new things at uni is through lectures, but you have to apply what you learn through independent studying and research. You initially teach yourself the knowledge you gain from lectures. But usually lecturers lecture you on stuff you should have done/practiced/read before that lecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending