The Student Room Group

AS OCR Philosophy and Ethics revision help

I've just started to revise for the exam next month, however, I'm worried that I may be leaving it too late because there is just so much to cover! Also, we haven't even started learning how to apply the ethical theories to situations such as abortion, euthanasia etc and I have no idea how I'm going to be able to learn all of that as well! I've seen the past exam questions and it seems that applying ethical theories to these different situations is a common question that the examiners like to use! Does anyone have any advice or resources they could lend to me to help me please?

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oc7

I've just started to revise for the exam next month, however, I'm worried that I may be leaving it too late because there is just so much to cover! Also, we haven't even started learning how to apply the ethical theories to situations such as abortion, euthanasia etc and I have no idea how I'm going to be able to learn all of that as well! I've seen the past exam questions and it seems that applying ethical theories to these different situations is a common question that the examiners like to use! Does anyone have any advice or resources they could lend to me to help me please?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Philosophy, religious studies and theology forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Original post by oc7

Apply just basically means evaluate. Once you know the ethical theories then it's all about how you induce your topic. It's quite easy to be fair. I got a B at this. However, I am quite concerned that you haven't learned any of them yet... That seriously isn't good. Just remember all your theories first. You get much more marks for applying the theory and then evaluating that certain information.
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Apply just basically means evaluate. Once you know the ethical theories then it's all about how you induce your topic. It's quite easy to be fair. I got a B at this. However, I am quite concerned that you haven't learned any of them yet... That seriously isn't good. Just remember all your theories first. You get much more marks for applying the theory and then evaluating that certain information.

Thanks! Do you also need to include the case studies in the applied ethics topics?
Original post by oc7
Thanks! Do you also need to include the case studies in the applied ethics topics?

Not necessarily to be honest. What do you mean by case studies?? There's so thing as "case studies". For instance you been applied ethics such as suicide, abortion, homosexuality? You have applied ethical topics and then ethical theories.

You apply the ethical situation to the applied ethical topics and evaluate how both of them work.
Reply 5
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Not necessarily to be honest. What do you mean by case studies?? There's so thing as "case studies". For instance you been applied ethics such as suicide, abortion, homosexuality? You have applied ethical topics and then ethical theories.

You apply the ethical situation to the applied ethical topics and evaluate how both of them work.

Sorry, I should have phrased it better, I meant examples of cases of euthanasia, abortion etc. Do I need to remember these for the exam?
Original post by oc7
Sorry, I should have phrased it better, I meant examples of cases of euthanasia, abortion etc. Do I need to remember these for the exam?

Oh yeah, defo. We had case studies of specific people in real life and just cases that we've heard. So defo use them. But you can just create a scenario anyway. Just use examples. You don't need real life ones until you get onto A2.
Hey guys,

I did OCR Philosophy of Religion and Ethics and am selling both my philosophy and ethics textbooks I used. They were really helpful to me so I hope they'll be of help to one of you! They're both at 0.99p auction! They are highlighted and have some notes written inside but they'll only be of help to you :smile:

Philosophy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141628192512?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ethics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141628194019?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thank you!
Georgina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending