The Student Room Group

What does good does the Monarchy really do ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SBKA
Repped this. The idea that you can force people into subscribing into the notion of total equality through methods such as extreme levels of taxation is completely false. It would damage innovation and widen the huge fractures that already are prevalent in our society.

Such a moral change (where people see giving their wealth to the less fortunate as just the normal state of affairs) can only come from within the society itself, not exerted onto the people by some sort of government.

Which is not was anybody was claiming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chellecharity
Rocks, much fascination, much culture

It even predates the monarchy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
It even predates the monarchy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that Britain got rid of most of its culture with the introduction of the monarchy which is a shame
Original post by Chellecharity
I think that Britain got rid of most of its culture with the introduction of the monarchy which is a shame

Except that what most people would be considering major parts of British culture are going to be from the last 500 years or so, the monarchy has been around for over a millenium.
The first king of England was Alfred the Great in the 9th Century, and back when we were still a collection of up to 7 kingdoms it goes back even further, Alfred was formerly King of Wessex, a position dating back to 519AD. Northumbria went even further back, some time around about 500AD, yet further for Sussex, 477AD, Kent is unknown but may go back further, so we have had at least one monarchy here in Britain for over 1500 years, most of the culture from before then was not our own.
Reply 244
Which is not was anybody was claiming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was commending a point made by a previous poster and expanding on it. Returning to this topic, until someone makes an argument against the monarchy which is not based on false premises, than I see no reason to support the abolishment of it.
Original post by SBKA
I was commending a point made by a previous poster and expanding on it. Returning to this topic, until someone makes an argument against the monarchy which is not based on false premises, than I see no reason to support the abolishment of it.

What false premises would these be?
Reply 246
What false premises would these be?

One of them I have already given. The premise that 'Every child should be born equal' is completely absurd. This therefore renders any arguments that the monarchy should be abolished because 'every child should be equal' as false.

I believe that the monarchy is an economic gain for this country and its tax paying citizens, so therefore I also disagree with the argument that the Royals are just 'posh scroungers'

Finally, the argument that the monarchy is undemocratic I believe is also false. Most polls put popular support for the monarchy at around 70%, therefore making it democratic.
Original post by SBKA
I do not particularly care about the monarchy, I was just pointing out the absurdity of the argument against them that 'everyone should be born equal'

If someone wants to pursue this argument, do it in full measure. Campaign against private education, healthcare and business. Encourage a universal state where every child is born equal. Just do not force this dogma onto me whilst you send your kid to private school.

I am not against anyone campaigning to change this moral nature of society. I respect them greatly for standing by such strong principles. Where I have problems is when people feel they should have the liberty to force others into what they believe. This is wrong.

That isn't the argument. As I've pointed out in this thread, people will never be born nor raised equally. However, there are things that we can do as a society to level the playing field. Arguing that because we can never achieve a utopia of perfect equality, we must believe in the complete opposite - hereditary rule - is just a bad, defeatist argument full stop.
Original post by SBKA
One of them I have already given. The premise that 'Every child should be born equal' is completely absurd.

Nobody is arguing that. We are arguing that where there is an opportunity to level the playing field without hurting anyone else - what an economist would call Pareto efficiency - that's what we as a society should pursue. Your responsibility in this argument is to tell us why removing the monarchy would be detrimental to our economy/society as a whole, not to make sweeping claims about the opposing argument.
Reply 249
Original post by Pro Crastination
That isn't the argument. As I've pointed out in this thread, people will never be born nor raised equally. However, there are things that we can do as a society to level the playing field. Arguing that because we can never achieve a utopia of perfect equality, we must believe in the complete opposite - hereditary rule - is just a bad, defeatist argument full stop.

I respect that view. I am also against hereditary rule. The monarch in Great Britain has little to zero powers so therefore I would not class Britain as a hereditary ruled country. The best system we have is democracy, and the democratic will of the nation is to have a monarchy.

Would you support the government of a society abolishing the monarchy if it was against the democratic will of the people?
Original post by SBKA
I respect that view. I am also against hereditary rule. The monarch in Great Britain has little to zero powers so therefore I would not class Britain as a hereditary ruled country. The best system we have is democracy, and the democratic will of the nation is to have a monarchy.

Would you support the government of a society abolishing the monarchy if it was against the democratic will of the people?

I would be for frequently-held referenda on the matter. Perhaps every ten years, or upon the abdication of a monarch, or if a reasonable number of petitions call for a snap referendum - as in Switzerland.

This process would require the impartiality of organisations such as the BBC, which I am afraid to say currently have a Royal bias - they are quite good in terms of not picking a side on most matters. Republican views should be given reasonable coverage. Where, for instance, a fawning puff piece pops up in the six o'clock news from time to time, at least one Republican should be given the opportunity to be interviewed about the matter. Referenda coverage should be similar to that of election coverage, private organisations are free to pick a side, but those funded by taxpayers' money must be impartial and provide equal coverage of the arguments for and against.

I think were the issue up for a real debate in the country, a lot of people would realise that, for instance, the tourism myth is bunk, the Royals do get involved in politics and have a great many contacts to cover up for them... I just don't think people care that much either way really (I imagine lots of people claiming to support the monarchy in these polls probably have a lot in common with those who put themselves down as a Christian on the census even though they haven't been to church in a decade), but for me it's a matter of principle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 251
Nobody is arguing that. We are arguing that where there is an opportunity to level the playing field without hurting anyone else - what an economist would call Pareto efficiency - that's what we as a society should pursue. Your responsibility in this argument is to tell us why removing the monarchy would be detrimental to our economy/society as a whole, not to make sweeping claims about the opposing argument.

Here are some arguments in favour of the monarchy:

1. There are various studies which argue for either side, but I believe the studies which state that the monarchy is an economic benefit for our country.

2. It provides an almost 'living history' and acts as an advertisement for Britain's past on the international stage.

3. It is a unifying factor within the commonwealth. Although the commonwealth does include nations which do not have the queen as head of state, I believe that our relationships with the ones that do are better.

4. It prevents presidential families that our prevalent in the USA. These are hereditary systems which actually do end up with a huge amount of power within the country.

5. It can operate as a bridge between communities. Although I believe in fundamental British values, there are many in our country who do not. They believe that we should only exist as a collection of entirely contrasting cultures. I think that this ideology does immense damage to our society, and that anything that combats this should be encouraged.
Original post by SBKA

1. There are various studies which argue for either side, but I believe the studies which state that the monarchy is an economic benefit for our country.

Because since the French decided to get rid of their royals nobody visits the Louvre at all... If you are arguing for tourist attractions, that's fine, though of course our greatest (and most profitable) tourist attractions have nothing to do with the Royals. Royals do not need to inhabit these buildings. This covers point two.

Original post by SBKA

3. It is a unifying factor within the commonwealth. Although the commonwealth does include nations which do not have the queen as head of state, I believe that our relationships with the ones that do are better.

Personally I think the Commonwealth is just a celebration of our imperial past and should be done away with. It links us with awful regimes as well as nicer democracies. Our greatest friend in the world is the United States, even after they decided to kick us (and our Royals) out. We are important to each other because of our cultural/economic/political similarities/objectives. You don't need a Queen to maintain that relationship, nor do you need one to maintain a relationship with India (for instance), who are getting pretty bored of us even though we have Commonwealth links, or Australia or New Zealand or Canada.

Original post by SBKA

4. It prevents presidential families that our prevalent in the USA. These are hereditary systems which actually do end up with a huge amount of power within the country.

That, as I've already stated, is a product of their economic system. It's not an inherent product of a Republican form of government.

Original post by SBKA

5. It can operate as a bridge between communities. Although I believe in fundamental British values, there are many in our country who do not. They believe that we should only exist as a collection of entirely contrasting cultures. I think that this ideology does immense damage to our society, and that anything that combats this should be encouraged.

I think we should agree to disagree here. I would get too riled up if we started debating the failings and successes of multiculturalism ^^
Reply 253
Because since the French decided to get rid of their royals nobody visits the Louvre at all... If you are arguing for tourist attractions, that's fine, though of course our greatest (and most profitable) tourist attractions have nothing to do with the Royals. Royals do not need to inhabit these buildings. This covers point two.

The British Tourism Agency stated that the Royal family brings in £500 million worth through tourism. Also the mass amount of money made through increased consumer spending (Royal memorabilia, etc). The Jubilee report that was conducted by Brand Finance also concluded that the monarchy does provide an economic net benefit to the country.

Personally I think the Commonwealth is just a celebration of our imperial past and should be done away with. It links us with awful regimes as well as nicer democracies. Our greatest friend in the world is the United States, even after they decided to kick us (and our Royals) out. We are important to each other because of our cultural/economic/political similarities/objectives. You don't need a Queen to maintain that relationship, nor do you need one to maintain a relationship with India (for instance), who are getting pretty bored of us even though we have Commonwealth links, or Australia or New Zealand or Canada.

I agree that you do not need a figurehead to maintain these links. I do believe that our friendship with certain nations (especially Australia at the moment) is strengthened by sharing a head of state. I believe that the Commonwealth does do great good, such as in doing it's best to ensure human rights are supported across its territories.

That, as I've already stated, is a product of their economic system. It's not an inherent product of a Republican form of government.

What political system would we be pursuing under a Republican government? There is not better form of government for restricting the powers of elite then a constitutional monarchy. The fact that the monarchies powers are limited under entrenched laws that have existed for over 800 years today strengthens this idea.
(edited 9 years ago)

"rule"
You could very nearly get away with saying that, supposing they exist, the UK ambassador to Tajikistan is as much ruler as HRH Queen Elizabeth II
It's meritocratic.

Is it? What about people who inherited their wealth?

And if it's purely about meritocracy - what are you saying - that the voice of the skilled is more important than the voice of the people?

It is a shame that our system of lobbying allows for vested interests to 'hold to hostage' our government. However, as you just pointed out, other interests may often act as counteracting forces. Ultimately if enough public pressure is exerted on a government, they will say no to big business. That this doesn't frequently happen I would say happens to be due to the issue that the funding/organisational capabilities of said big business are often, but not always, greater.

Quite, but that's not what you argued before. And you've only addressed big business. What about other groups? What makes them inherently more rightful in arguing for their own corners, privately and confidentially, but not for the monarchy?

If the Queen or any member of the Royal family lobbies government, they are able to do so purely by their birth. This is not meritocratic.

But it is useful and valuable, given their role as constitutional bookkeepers and long-term observers. That's merit of its own.
(edited 9 years ago)
The queen believes it, and there is still a cult behind the monarchy.

Does she? How do you know that?

And cult? It's a free press we have here, and nobody's required to adore the monarchy. The press publish what sells. Could I argue there's a 'cult' in America over the Fourth of July, or George Washington?

Princess Michael of Kent carries out many engagements for the queen, so surely the queen is responsible for her? Her comments only give me the impression that many of the things the royal family say or do in public that are passed off as harmless (e.g. Philip's casual racism, Harry's choice of fancy dress, William's pursuit of foxes, Charles's views on homoeopathy, and this example with Michael) are representative of a certain trend. I wonder what her majesty's views actually are?

They aren't the Sovereign and so have a bit more freedom in what they say and do. I don't agree with much of their views, but I don't begrudge them their right to say it. It's be courtesy that they aren't took outspoken so as to not impinge on the monarch.

It doesn't matter what the Queen's views are, because the Government remains entirely in liberty to reject what she says without fear or danger of reprisal or disfavour. All that matters is that those views are kept private.

The British flag is not of course completely representative of the UK

Why not?

and the full version of her majesty's anthem is rather nauseous.

I like it :smile: properly done it's an incredible song.
Original post by Onde
You view is probably hugely tied up with Elizabeth II rather than Edward VII or Edward VIII.

And George V and VI, and Edward VII was still a good constitutional King. There's a considerably stronger likelihood of a raft of constitutional monarchs careful and tactful in what they say and do than the lottery of election.

When the highly regarded Victoria accepted a title as Empress as a whim and turned the country into mausoleum for forty years in terms of atmosphere it is hard to see that 'the monarchy' fits with what the public needs and wants.

Quite. Which is why there was a spike in republicanism in this country in the 1870s. The monarchy, as it does, adapted, learned, evolved and endured.
Whether they should be a national symbol - by one of them being our head of state - is what we are debating. To people who genuinely believe in meritocracy, their being put on a pedestal because they happened to be born is embarrassing. You haven't told us why we are wrong.

You're wrong because the monarchy is popular. The hereditary monarchy is there with generous public consent.

You're wrong because election isn't a meritocratic means of appointment. It's simply a popularity contest. It elects amateurs to the position, who learn the job at breakneck speed, and then spend the second half of their incumbency seeking re-election or snookering their opponent.

If you want meritocratic, then have the position appointed using agreed criteria for what the incumbent can do. Like a Governor-General.

Or better yet, have a family learn the job as time goes by so they inherit and know what to do immediately, can take a long-term view, are restrained from controversy because of their unelected nature, and focus on leaving the monarchy as healthy as possible to their successor.
I would be for frequently-held referenda on the matter. Perhaps every ten years, or upon the abdication of a monarch, or if a reasonable number of petitions call for a snap referendum - as in Switzerland.

Bad idea. First off, there's voter fatigue, like in Switzerland and its 45% turnout rates. What's a legitimate result?

Secondly, why not, then, have regular referendums for everything else, say, whether we drive on the right or the left? What language we speak? What colours are in the flag? Whether to push Essex into the sea?

This process would require the impartiality of organisations such as the BBC, which I am afraid to say currently have a Royal bias - they are quite good in terms of not picking a side on most matters. Republican views should be given reasonable coverage. Where, for instance, a fawning puff piece pops up in the six o'clock news from time to time, at least one Republican should be given the opportunity to be interviewed about the matter. Referenda coverage should be similar to that of election coverage, private organisations are free to pick a side, but those funded by taxpayers' money must be impartial and provide equal coverage of the arguments for and against.

Really? Every time I see something about the monarchy on the Beeb there's some berk from Republic churning out the same old lies and myths about the monarch that just make my eyes roll. And I think the Beeb are generous in that regard, given how much of a niche issue republicanism is in this country.

Meanwhile, can I expect you to support climate change deniers to be there when the next Kyoto Treaty is signed?

I think were the issue up for a real debate in the country, a lot of people would realise that, for instance, the tourism myth is bunk, the Royals do get involved in politics and have a great many contacts to cover up for them... I just don't think people care that much either way really (I imagine lots of people claiming to support the monarchy in these polls probably have a lot in common with those who put themselves down as a Christian on the census even though they haven't been to church in a decade), but for me it's a matter of principle.

Hah, my experience is the opposite. I've met many republicans - I used to be one - and their views are so vague and fluffy, and devoid of practicalities, that they end up either grudgingly accepting the present system works and all they have is a slender shred of some idealistic desire, or they start reconsidering their view. That's what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending