The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnEnigma
I discourage my students from using Mr Bruff - his analysis is rather simplistic and vague. As an examiner, some of his work he promotes just scrapes Band 4...

Have you even seen his Curleys wife and Curley analysis half an hour long video?
Or his relationship poetry analysis?
Honestly, they are the most deep, insightful comments on language I have ever seen. No way are they vague!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I discourage my students from using Mr Bruff - his analysis is rather simplistic and vague. As an examiner, some of his work he promotes just scrapes Band 4...

yes some of it does seem a bit vague but i watch his A* videos i wasted money on his revision guides which i regret. Have you had a chance to look at the essay i asked to be marked. would really appreciate it as its easter hols i cant ask my teacher to mark my essays and i really need to know what grade im working at.
so i'm doing the crucible, TKAM and the relationships cluster and these are my predictions, not that anybody cares...
Crucible:
they usually give a theme and character as the option questions so i think it's going to be on tituba (ooh plot twist) and the theme of reputation.
(ALTHOUGH because they did two characters last year i have a bad feeling they're gonna do two theme questions this year:frown:)
other possibilities i think it could be: elizabeth, danforth, the putnams and if they're feeling evil, betty:tongue:. other themes: revenge, loyalty and hysteria.

TKAM:
i think the extract is gonna be from the missionary circle chapter to lead on to a part b) question about the presentation of women
(i hate the extract question btw; they literally choose extracts with nothing to analyse :/ )
but just as general advice i would revise racism/injustice thoroughly and would write an essay to learn because contrary to my prediction, they love centering the section b questions around racism/injustice/prejudice etc.

Relationships:
this is what has come up so far
june 2011- manhunt and nettles
jan 2012- sonnet 43 and harmonium
june 2012- quickdraw and praise song for my mother
june 2013- sonnet 116 and born yesterday
june 2014 - farmer's bride and ghazal

so i predict - hour and to his coy mistress which i would be very happy with
(i read somewhere that sister maude, ipwy and brothers won't come up for higher because they're 'foundation questions' but don't quote me on that
:tongue:)

+ let's just pray they're merciful with the unseen

final thought: since we're the penultimate year before the reforms, they might get lazy and just recycle old paper questions so don't just assume when you look at a past paper "thank God we're not going to get this!"

lol soz if this got way too long
(edited 8 years ago)
Where ma OMAM and Animal Farm peeps at
How important is this idea of having really perceptive takes on the novellas? I usually get A-A*s but reading other peoples and see they throw in this stuff about the nature of Lennie or George's names that seems to push their grades even more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LenniesRabbit
How important is this idea of having really perceptive takes on the novellas? I usually get A-A*s but reading other peoples and see they throw in this stuff about the nature of Lennie or George's names that seems to push their grades even more

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is one of the most important. Analysis, followed by alternative analysis will push your grade. For example, at the start of OMAM wheb i talks about Lennies arms 'his arms did not swing at his sides but hung loosely'. At first you can say that 'loose' suggests limpness, a lack of strength which in comparison to his size seems odd. And then add on to say because he isn't moving his arms it suggests he is trapped in his disability, or it could suggest that his disability means he cannot swing his arms naturally, as this would just confuse him and he has to concentrate on walking first. Then if this is a technique then add this on. 'Loosely' could be contrast (to his size) and more simply it is an adverb. Then go on to explain how the writer may feel if appropriate, and what the writer intended to do through this which may be to show how his disability would have trapped him from being himself at the time this was set or to contrast to George. You need to think originally as this may be the tipping point to get the A* grade, but the structure and making sure you get everything in is important too:smile:
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
[QUOTE=ilovesophialucia;54837379]It is one of the most important. Analysis, followed by alternative analysis will push your grade. For example, at the start of OMAM wheb i talks about Lennies arms 'his arms did not swing at his sides but hung loosely'. At first you can say that 'loose' suggests limpness, a lack of strength which in comparison to his size seems odd. And then add on to say because he isn't moving his arms it suggests he is trapped in his disability, or it could suggest that his disability means he cannot swing his arms naturally, as this would just confuse him and he has to concentrate on walking first. Then if this is a technique then add this on. 'Loosely' could be contrast (to his size) and more simply it is an adverb. Then go on to explain how the writer may feel if appropriate, and what the writer intended to do through this which may be to show how his disability would have trapped him from being himself at the time this was set or to contrast to George. You need to think originally as this may be the tipping point to get the A* grade, but the structure and making sure you get everything in is important too:smile:
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the poem which most likely come up this year for conflict from the GCSE anthology? Thanks
Reply 87
I examined Unit 1 last year and Unit 2 the year before that. I will be happy to look at any responses should you desire feedback.

Do you mind if i send you a message with my practise response to a Unit 2 question? (poetry comparison)
Original post by ilovesophialucia
It is one of the most important. Analysis, followed by alternative analysis will push your grade. For example, at the start of OMAM wheb i talks about Lennies arms 'his arms did not swing at his sides but hung loosely'. At first you can say that 'loose' suggests limpness, a lack of strength which in comparison to his size seems odd. And then add on to say because he isn't moving his arms it suggests he is trapped in his disability, or it could suggest that his disability means he cannot swing his arms naturally, as this would just confuse him and he has to concentrate on walking first. Then if this is a technique then add this on. 'Loosely' could be contrast (to his size) and more simply it is an adverb. Then go on to explain how the writer may feel if appropriate, and what the writer intended to do through this which may be to show how his disability would have trapped him from being himself at the time this was set or to contrast to George. You need to think originally as this may be the tipping point to get the A* grade, but the structure and making sure you get everything in is important too:smile:
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing! Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Amazing! Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem:smile: by the way, I meant how the reader feels, not how the writer feels, wasn't thinking haha:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I did the exam last year, so can help anybody, if necessary.

If you have any questions, want me to check any essays you write or would just like some advice, then feel free to ask me. :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi could you please grade the essay on my page about slim i would really appreciate it !
Original post by malaikaahmed12
hi could you please grade the essay on my page about slim i would really appreciate it !

wait how do i actually send it to you ? only got this thing last week !!
Original post by _ariane29
I am doing my contolled assesment in two weeks, we're doing Shakespeare too.

What are you worried about regarding an inspector calls? We did it last year and I think it's quite straightforward regarding the concepts and the context of the story, it's definitely not as hard as The Crucible.

I'm sitting the exam in may and doing of mice and men, an inspecor calls and the character and voice cluster. I did my controlled assessment in january and achieved an a* (full marks i think), so if you need all my in depth notes and bullet pointed essay i'd be happy to give them to you.
Original post by rachelramos
I'm sitting the exam in may and doing of mice and men, an inspecor calls and the character and voice cluster. I did my controlled assessment in january and achieved an a* (full marks i think), so if you need all my in depth notes and bullet pointed essay i'd be happy to give them to you.

Thank you for your gesture but I've done my controlled asessment now and also got full marks :smile: Congratulations to you, have you started revising for the exam?
Reply 94
Hey, I wrote a paragraph for the 16 mark question in the edexcel language paper.

I was just wondering what grade I'd get for it.

I know this is a aqa forum but I can't find any edexcel one's. :/

If you could read it and give me some feedback it would be appreciated. :smile:

Q: explore how the language in the extract influences your view on Curley. ( 16 marks )

A: The writer skilfully uses a simile to present Curley as being violent. 'Terrier.' A terrier is a type of dog which is small but vicious. This is important because Steinbeck is conveying that Curley is small and vicious like a terrier who only dispenses his anger to gain attention, respect and fear from others. The writer could also be suggesting that Curley is careful and will not pick someone who will oppose him. Also, this could connote that Curley is insecure and is only voilent so that he can hide his own insecurity of being small. Therefore, Steinbeck utilises language in this extract to influence the readers view of Curley as being voilent, careful and insecure.
Original post by abz129
Hey, I wrote a paragraph for the 16 mark question in the edexcel language paper.

I was just wondering what grade I'd get for it.

I know this is a aqa forum but I can't find any edexcel one's. :/

If you could read it and give me some feedback it would be appreciated. :smile:

Q: explore how the language in the extract influences your view on Curley. ( 16 marks )

A: The writer skilfully uses a simile to present Curley as being violent. 'Terrier.' A terrier is a type of dog which is small but vicious. This is important because Steinbeck is conveying that Curley is small and vicious like a terrier who only dispenses his anger to gain attention, respect and fear from others. The writer could also be suggesting that Curley is careful and will not pick someone who will oppose him. Also, this could connote that Curley is insecure and is only voilent so that he can hide his own insecurity of being small. Therefore, Steinbeck utilises language in this extract to influence the readers view of Curley as being voilent, careful and insecure.

I have no idea what grade this would be, but I was reading it, and I'm sure Lennie is described using a simile as a terrier too, when he doesn't want to bring the mouse back to George. So maybe you could link that to Lennie, and show that in a way they are both the same ?Idk, that just popped into my head

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you think is likely to come up for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men in the exam? I'm really worried for it
Original post by Olivia1355
What do you think is likely to come up for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men in the exam? I'm really worried for it

Have you read at the above posts? Summarising what is said above. Basically, for OMAM it is likely to be Candy or Curley, or even the opening and ending setting. For AIC , probably Mr Birling, but if the examiners want to catch us out, maybe Gerald or Shiela as they came up a while back.
Reply 98
Original post by ilovesophialucia
I have no idea what grade this would be, but I was reading it, and I'm sure Lennie is described using a simile as a terrier too, when he doesn't want to bring the mouse back to George. So maybe you could link that to Lennie, and show that in a way they are both the same ?Idk, that just popped into my head

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'll try to add that although, I can't remember seeing that in the book. I'll look it up. And thank you for the help. :smile:
Reply 99
does anyone else know what grade my answer would be?

Quick Reply

Latest