The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
Doing a maths past paper and this question came up. Never seen such a hideous question before :cry:

Anyone have any ideas? I swear this stuff isn't on the syllabus...

It feels like it's better than it looks...

Express the area of the polygon as n(x2)8sin2πn\frac{n(x^2)}{8}\sin\frac{2\pi}{n}?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
Doing a maths past paper and this question came up. Never seen such a hideous question before :cry:

Anyone have any ideas? I swear this stuff isn't on the syllabus...

Are you stuck on part a or b? or both?
Original post by MangoFreak
It feels like it's better than it looks...

Express the area of the polygon as n(((x^2)/2)sin(2pi/n))?

I should really learn Latex :tongue:

Original post by Red Fox
Are you stuck on part a or b? or both?

Stuck on a, but just had an idea thanks to Mango. I think it'll involve splitting up the polygon into triangles.
Original post by Bude8
Stuck on a, but just had an idea thanks to Mango. I think it'll involve splitting up the polygon into triangles.

That was what I was getting at :ahee: I realise my expression actually took x to be the radius I think so uh ignore that :tongue: Everything falls into place after that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8

Yeah it's pretty easy once you do that. I like the question, I wish A-Level maths had some stuff like this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah it's pretty easy once you do that. I like the question, I wish A-Level maths had some stuff like this.

If A Level exams stopped being predictable, time pressure would **** some of us :tongue:
If A Level exams stopped being predictable, time pressure would **** some of us :tongue:

Lol yeah a question like that under time constraints would probably **** me over

But then again boundaries would be like 40% for top grade
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol yeah a question like that under time constraints would probably **** me over

But then again boundaries would be like 40% for top grade

That's true, that would be neat :tongue:

Yeah but one or two questions like that wouldn't be too bad, plus grade boundaries would be lower.
So is C a good measure of compactness? :holmes:
Does it make me crap at maths if I have no idea how to start that question? :redface:
Original post by Red Fox

What do you make of this question?

Wasn't sure on how to do part b

So is C a good measure of compactness? :holmes:

Well, I suppose it depends on how 'regular' your shape is. For polygons I suppose it's pretty good since you can pack it tightly into a circle :dontknow:
I've just rediscovered the free copy of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection that I downloaded last year. Revision may be taking a bit of a break.
Original post by Bude8
What do you make of this question?

Wasn't sure on how to do part b

Well, I suppose it depends on how 'regular' your shape is. For polygons I suppose it's pretty good since you can pack it tightly into a circle :dontknow:

sin(B+C)=0.5
This means B+C=either 30 or 150
Which means either A=150 or A=30
If A=150, B+C=30 which means sinB<0.5 (since both B and C must be less than 30)

3sinB + 4cosC = 6
If sinB<0.5 then 4cosC must be greater than 4.5, which is impossible obviously hence angle CAB must be 30. That's the best reasoning I could think of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8

What would get you the mark in that question though?
What would get you the mark in that question though?

No idea, don't have the MS, will post when I find out :lol:
Original post by Bude8
No idea, don't have the MS, will post when I find out :lol:

You decided on accommodation yet?
Original post by O133
I've just rediscovered the free copy of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection that I downloaded last year. Revision may be taking a bit of a break.

haha I got that last year too... bad idea during study leave, once I start I can't stop so I'm just not going to start it again! :biggrin: hopefully :wink:
Original post by Red Fox
You decided on accommodation yet?

Not yet, they've taken the list down for now and it'll be back up on Friday, but I'm probably gonna go Quads since it's half catered. What about you?
Original post by Bude8
Not yet, they've taken the list down for now and it'll be back up on Friday, but I'm probably gonna go Quads since it's half catered. What about you?

I'm going for Marlborough.

Latest