The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-farhan
Don't we all follow the salaf?

Yes - that's what everyone says.
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Take from the narrations and the ayat what you wish.

Re-read the wording chosen by Allah and the Prophet.

Sure. Let's take it one step at a time.

Because of their sins they were drowned and put into the Fire, and they found not for themselves besides Allah [any] helpers.

Yeah it says because of their sins they were punished. They weren't punished for the sins of others among them.

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said,

“Adultery and usury do not become widespread among a people except that there will descend upon them the punishment of Allah the Exalted.”

If it's widespread, you can't rule out the possibility that everyone there engaged in those sinful activities at least once, or at least perpetuated it. Besides adultery and usury is extremely common today, does it mean those who live their normal muslim lives deserve to be punished simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.

Why do I need to change myself in order for Allah to change the condition of all the people? If I don't change myself does that mean Allah doesn't change the condition of all the People?

http://islamqa.info/en/118139

In multiple stories in the Qur'an, Allah destroys towns and communities but saves the pious few.
Original post by blah3210
xxx

Jazak Allahu Khairan,

How do you read these narrations:

The Prophet replied to when asked [by his companions] "Are we going to be destroyed even when we have righteous people amongst us?" where he said "Yes, when filth and corruption becomes prevalent."

[Al-Jami' li-Akham Al-Quran (Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) 9.294]

https://youtu.be/OSZTW6ktGhg?t=10m15s
Lol, I just read the previous 6 pages and I don't even understand what people were on about:biggrin:
Original post by FlareBlitz96
Lol, I just read the previous 6 pages and I don't even understand what people were on about:biggrin:

Who are all those crazy guys?
Jazak Allahu Khairan,

How do you read these narrations:

The Prophet replied to when asked [by his companions] "Are we going to be destroyed even when we have righteous people amongst us?" where he said "Yes, when filth and corruption becomes prevalent."

[Al-Jami' li-Akham Al-Quran (Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) 9.294]

https://youtu.be/OSZTW6ktGhg?t=10m15s

is that hadith sahih bro?
Original post by UnsahihDatHadith
is that hadith sahih bro?

Allah Knows Best. You wanna unsahih it bro?

For now :

عن عدي الكندي سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ لَا يُعَذِّبُ الْعَامَّةَ بِعَمَلِ الْخَاصَّةِ حَتَّى يَرَوْا الْمُنْكَرَ بَيْنَ ظَهْرَانَيْهِمْ وَهُمْ قَادِرُونَ عَلَى أَنْ يُنْكِرُوهُ فَلَا يُنْكِرُوهُ فَإِذَا فَعَلُوا ذَلِكَ عَذَّبَ اللَّهُ الْخَاصَّةَ وَالْعَامَّةَ

Adi’ Al-Kindi reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, say,

Verily, Allah the Exalted will not punish a community for the sins of a few unless they see evil appear among themselves and they are able to condemn it but they do not. If they do that, then Allah will punish the community along with the sinners.”

Musnad Ahmad 17627. Ibn Hajr said it was Hasan.

For now :

عن عدي الكندي سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ لَا يُعَذِّبُ الْعَامَّةَ بِعَمَلِ الْخَاصَّةِ حَتَّى يَرَوْا الْمُنْكَرَ بَيْنَ ظَهْرَانَيْهِمْ وَهُمْ قَادِرُونَ عَلَى أَنْ يُنْكِرُوهُ فَلَا يُنْكِرُوهُ فَإِذَا فَعَلُوا ذَلِكَ عَذَّبَ اللَّهُ الْخَاصَّةَ وَالْعَامَّةَ

Adi’ Al-Kindi reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, say,

Verily, Allah the Exalted will not punish a community for the sins of a few unless they see evil appear among themselves and they are able to condemn it but they do not. If they do that, then Allah will punish the community along with the sinners.”

not my job to unsahih it bro :hand:

leave it to bro Fct he knows whats reliable an whats not may allah reward him
Original post by UnsahihDatHadith

leave it to bro Fct he knows whats reliable an whats not may allah reward him

Rather it is left to the Muhadditheen.
Rather it is left to the Muhadditheen.

he knows who the right muhaditheen an f*qahaa are bro :yes:

For now :

This hadith kinda proves my point. By not condeming the sins of the few, they would be perpuating unrighteousness by implicitly agreeing with it. In other words, the punishment is the same but the sin is different.
Does anybody knows if smoking haram?
Original post by blah3210
xxx

Jazak Allahu Khairan,

Allah Knows Best

وَلَا تَكْسِبُ كُلُّ نَفْسٍ إِلَّا عَلَيْهَا وَلَا تَزِرُ وَازِرَةٌ وِزْرَ أُخْرَىٰ
No soul earns anything except it is upon itself, and none shall bear the burdens of another.

وَلَا يُؤْخَذُ الرَّجُلُ بِجَرِيرَةِ أَبِيهِ وَلَا بِجَرِيرَةِ أَخِيهِ

No man is to be punished for the crimes of his father or his brother.

Sunan An-Nasa’i 4128. Al-Haythami said it was Saheeh. An-Nasa'i said it is correct. Al-Albani said Saheeh.

Original post by crosstalk
Does anybody knows if smoking haram?

Yes it is, as Narrated:“he allows them as lawful At Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)
[al-A’raaf 7:157]

Anything harmful to the body is considered haram.
Original post by on a level
Yes it is, as Narrated:“he allows them as lawful At Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)
[al-A’raaf 7:157]

Anything harmful to the body is considered haram.

Is medical cannabis allowed?
Original post by crosstalk
Is medical cannabis allowed?

Only if it's not harmful to the body, then it should be fine.
I don't think it's a good idea to be giving out fatawa on TSR..

These kinds of questions are best left to those who are qualified to deal with them
Original post by Daryabrm
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.

What we mean when we say “Salafi” today is very different to the emergence of the term in the mid-1800’s. Rashid Rida, a very famous scholar of Islam from the time, would be described as a Salafi. This meant that he rejected the superstitious practices that were used by local cultures and were backed with psuedo-Islamic ideas.

Link :
http://partytilfajr.tumblr.com/post/66433175910/i-consider-myself-salafi-because-i-follow-islam

''
who also view 7th century Arabia as the ideal society''
so they would ride a camel just because the Prophet did? Lol times have changed. You cannot imitate everything.

Yes, people like Rida, al-Afghani, Abduh etc saw the need to "go back to Muhammad and the salaf" as a kind of reform - paradoxically, of modernisation - by eliminating the superstitious practices which had "polluted" Islam.

This is a tangent, but frequently reformers adopt -whether consciously or unconsciously- the seemingly reactionary "back to the founder" programme as the best way to implement change

You had "back to Marx" among Communists, "back to Freud" among psychoanalysts etc etc

Original post by Daryabrm
who also view 7th century Arabia as the ideal society''
so they would ride a camel just because the Prophet did? Lol times have changed. You cannot imitate everything.
well, they can try
Thanks for the links.

All the best
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by miyah24
Looking forward to Ramadan?? I cant wait!!😊

Asalamu alaykum,

Yes, definitely :smile: Feels like yesterday that it was Ramadan 2014. How time flies.
Original post by beautifulxxx
So I'm wrong then? Uh I'm so confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bismillah

Ok, so we know that the word "Salafi" by itself is a word in which means to follow the understanding and the general methodology of the pious predecessors (salaf) as instructed by Rasulullah in the well known hadeeth. So there doesn't seem to be much harm in the word at this stage.

Shaykh al-Albani says in essence that one should call oneself salafi in order to distinguish oneself from the deviated sects who claim the banner of Ahl al-Sunnah and Islam, so i would ask the shaykh if he was alive today (raheemahullah) would you put forward another word which also in of itself denotes something pure as deviated individuals now claim the banner of salafiyyah like those of Baghdadi's gang in Iraq and some other groups. Allahu Alam what his answer would be but the shaykhs logic is not as convincing to me as those of the ulama who say it is not wajib or mustahab to call onself salafi. (Bearing in mind that all that i write here is in the capacity of a layman and is no way to be taken as a definitive answer or even 100% correct)

The whole issue is in my opinion a fairly unimportant discussion to be having. There is a saying, "While the jurists were debating on which way to pray if you were on the moon the mongols sacked baghdad". The lesson here being wasting time on subjects of little pertinent benefit. I once went round by high school prayer room making conversation and asking a few question to get a feel of their general level of ilm and it was fairly low to the point only 1 could give me the names of the 4 khulafa. I mean, it is possible that those who engaged in this discussion about the name "salafi" or "sufi" could not tell you what the action of salah were that if you miss out you had to do sujud al-sahw for.

This is a general advice to the isoc which is to ignore this whole discussion and stick to the general advice and definition put forth by Ustadh Ayman and focus on more beneficial things.

and Allah knows best i seek Allah's forgiveness for any mistakes i may have made here and ask any members of the isoc if they disagree in a civil manner?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending