The Student Room Group

How do I revise for iGCSE English Language?

I have the iGCSE English Lang reading and writing papers at the beginning of May and I do not know how to revise or study for them. PLEASE HELP.

Scroll to see replies

mate use dictionary.com
it has a really good vocab game
you learn a bunch of words that are fancy
although you need both style and content to do well, a cheeky verbal flourish never fails :wink:
edexcel or cambridge? :smile:
Original post by turn-to-page394

Cambridge.. Idk what it's called but the course consists of a speaking and listening exam marked out of 30 an extended reading paper out of 50 and a writing paper(some people in my year are doing coursework) which is also out of 50. In my school the English department is stressing out and they changed our exam board in January from AQA to iGCSE but I never knew how to revise English anyway..
Original post by ObsidianGhost
Cambridge.. Idk what it's called but the course consists of a speaking and listening exam marked out of 30 an extended reading paper out of 50 and a writing paper(some people in my year are doing coursework) which is also out of 50. In my school the English department is stressing out and they changed our exam board in January from AQA to iGCSE but I never knew how to revise English anyway..

Ok... I do edexcel ... I was advised to:
look over the anthology extracts that could come up, identify their 'purpose' and how the writer achieves it (narrative technique, figurative language etc), to read non-fiction, practise the question types (unseen extract, anthology extract, 2x writing etc) and timings of the exam.
And to review personal mistake patterns for writing like I always write a lot as alot..... :colondollar:
I have the iGCSE English Lang reading and writing papers at the beginning of May and I do not know how to revise or study for them. PLEASE HELP.

Original post by notathuggee
mate use dictionary.com
it has a really good vocab game
you learn a bunch of words that are fancy
although you need both style and content to do well, a cheeky verbal flourish never fails :wink:

Original post by turn-to-page394

do edexcel. its much easier. a person who does 4 subjects at A levels with Edexcel has a higher chance of going into Oxbridge then someone who does 4 subjects at A levels with Cambridge International Exams. Fact!
Reply 6
Hi, I think I am doing the same one... Is it the CIE IGCSE in English Language? If so, you should look at the past papers, the specification reference number is 0500 for core and 0522 for extension if you can't find them.

Also, I found these videos on a website which talk through how to answer the questions. https://bbaenglish.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/igcse-revision-videos-in-one-place/

There is more helpful stuff on there too, and I would reccommend that you practice answering the questions; there aren't many other ways to revise English Lang tbh :biggrin:
Do past papers, they are really helpful
Reply 8
Past papers and make sure to use mark scheme and examiners reports
They always have the same format in their exams so familiarising yourself to the format is already advantageous as you will be comfortable and less likely to panic from the scary looking paper. Not to mention past papers are the best practice

Also I found this tip page useful last year with my exam, take a look https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my iGCSE in English Language last year, albeit only paper 2 and paper 3 (which renders me kind of useless in regards to provide information for listening and speaking, sorry) :smile:

Basically, past papers are your buddies; there's always a bit of a trend in the style of writing you're going to be asked, with those that haven't resurfaced in a couple of years probably making a surprise appearance this year (we were to write a journal entry in paper 2 and a letter in paper 3). Alongside this, you end up getting a lot of practice handwriting under timed conditions something that most of my class - rather ironically - struggled with.

What also helped me last year was to write down all of the styles of writing that have ever been on the aforementioned past papers and list their various conventions as well as practice writing them - the same goes for your standard argumentative, descriptive and narrative writing things that you get in paper 3; sign up for a site like Wattpad, for instance, and challenge yourself to write something from a prompt.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by Abeh
Also, I found these videos on a website which talk through how to answer the questions. https://bbaenglish.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/igcse-revision-videos-in-one-place/There is more helpful stuff on there too, and I would reccommend that you practice answering the questions; there aren't many other ways to revise English Lang tbh :biggrin:

Ok thanks I'll try the website!

Original post by SceneKid17
Do past papers, they are really helpful

Yeah that's all I could think of but don't really know where to get them..?

Original post by C0balt
Past papers and make sure to use mark scheme and examiners reportsThey always have the same format in their exams so familiarising yourself to the format is already advantageous as you will be comfortable and less likely to panic from the scary looking paper. Not to mention past papers are the best practice Also I found this tip page useful last year with my exam, take a look https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tipsPosted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by LeFeuilly
I did my iGCSE in English Language last year, albeit only paper 2 and paper 3 (which renders me kind of useless in regards to provide information for listening and speaking, sorry) :smile:Basically, past papers are your buddies; there's always a bit of a trend in the style of writing you're going to be asked, with those that haven't resurfaced in a couple of years probably making a surprise appearance this year (we were to write a journal entry in paper 2 and a letter in paper 3). Alongside this, you end up getting a lot of practice handwriting under timed conditions something that most of my class - rather ironically - struggled with.What also helped me last year was to write down all of the styles of writing that have ever been on the aforementioned past papers and list their various conventions as well as practice writing them - the same goes for your standard argumentative, descriptive and narrative writing things that you get in paper 3; sign up for a site like Wattpad, for instance, and challenge yourself to write something from a prompt.Hope this helps :biggrin:

I've already done the speaking and listening in which I got 27/30 which will most likely be an A so I need to score high in the reading and writing because I want to get an A* overall. Yeah I'm worse at writing than reading because idk I just can't write stuff myself that's like descriptive or even a story because I'm kind of bad at it.
Well last year my school were with AQA and i did all the past papers on the website, they were a lot of fun tbh and once i done them i gave them to my teacher to mark always got A/A* and i got better each time i did a new paper it really helped me so you should try it to. Go onto the AQA website past papers for English lang unit 1 and just do them, you'll need the inserts to them aswell but they should be on the website with the papers! Good Luck
Well last year my school were with AQA and i did all the past papers on the website, they were a lot of fun tbh and once i done them i gave them to my teacher to mark always got A/A* and i got better each time i did a new paper it really helped me so you should try it to. Go onto the AQA website past papers for English lang unit 1 and just do them, you'll need the inserts to them aswell but they should be on the website with the papers! Good Luck

Thanks, that does sound helpful. Although, I am doing Cambridge iGCSE not AQA but the past papers would probably be on the website somewhere I guess. How many do you think could I do, given that I only have until the beginning of May?
Thanks, that does sound helpful. Although, I am doing Cambridge iGCSE not AQA but the past papers would probably be on the website somewhere I guess. How many do you think could I do, given that I only have until the beginning of May?

Try to do as many as possible, i use to do one every weekend the more you do the better you'll get, you will get the hang of it and it will get fun to do i use to love doing them, believe it or not i managed to finish all the paper on the AQA website my teacher was amazed hahaha it got me an A in the end so it all works out. Good Luck
Try to do as many as possible, i use to do one every weekend the more you do the better you'll get, you will get the hang of it and it will get fun to do i use to love doing them, believe it or not i managed to finish all the paper on the AQA website my teacher was amazed hahaha it got me an A in the end so it all works out. Good Luck

Thanks so much! I will definitely try doing as much as I can. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the rest of your GCSEs? And well done on your A!!
Thanks so much! I will definitely try doing as much as I can. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the rest of your GCSEs? And well done on your A!!

No worries i passed everything apart from maths i got a D
No worries i passed everything apart from maths i got a D

Ah okay, thanks for your help :smile:
Ah okay, thanks for your help :smile:

no probs xxx
Reply 18

Thanks for the help :smile:

Np
If you need help with CIE IGCSEs feel free to ask. I've done the core subjects and French, geography and history. My memory is fading away since it's been a year but I will try my best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
NpIf you need help with CIE IGCSEs feel free to ask. I've done the core subjects and French, geography and history. My memory is fading away since it's been a year but I will try my bestPosted from TSR Mobile

Will do if I need anything but I'm not doing the exam board in any other subjects but thanks for the offer to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending