The Student Room Group

If you could change one thing in the education system, what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think it could be beneficial if students could skip grades (like they can in the USA).
Original post by Juichiro
That's pseudocience. We don't need it in the curriculum.

An option, not a requirement. No different to Religion - and they do A levels on that!
Original post by k3ro
I think it could be beneficial if students could skip grades (like they can in the USA).

They can already. There's nothing stopping them from moving ahead, or staying behind.
More grammar schools. Lots more.

Also, pupils can choose their subjects earlier, I did not need 3 years of Music, Drama, Art and Dance. You can see I am not of the creative type :biggrin:
Reply 64
Original post by anastas
No university fees.

Most definitely ... if not for all courses, then certainly the "core courses" e.g. Maths, Physics etc
Better teachers, more qualified teachers, or harder to qualify as teachers or SOMETHING. DO SOMETHING ABOUT SOME OF THESE TEACHERS.
I used to LOVE languages, but I never took any for GCSE cos the teachers were just completely terrible, racist, horrible people who literally didn't give a **** about anything or anyone. I was really good at languages too, didn't even try and was in the top sets for both French and German in years 7-9, so I could have gone on to do great things with languages, but those pesky teachers ruined it!
spanking ftw

[scrollr]:spank:[/scrollr]

[scroll]:spank:[/scroll]

[scrollr]:spank:[/scrollr]
Original post by karmacrunch

Excuse me? :lolwut:

We still have grammar schools? :confused: Wasn't there a law or legislation or something that said that no more should be made? :tongue:

Or am I completely wrong? XD

Original post by Pwyll
That's essentially what I was saying. I was driving at 'much of my vocabulary' or something.
Wortschatz is indeed vocabulary. I dropped it after GCSE because my sixth-form college didn't offer A-Level German.

No, you're exactly right. The law prevents the creation of new grammar schools, and although many of the old ones were converted or closed, some counties (such as Lincolnshire or Kent) still retain a few of them.

Did I say something wrong? :frown: I used Google Translate but please don't tell anyone. :frown:

:fyi: The law does not effectively prevent the creation of new grammar schools. Proof: in Kent a new one was made recently. It appeared in the news and it was 100% legal. :smile:
Reply 68
Did I say something wrong? :frown: I used Google Translate but please don't tell anyone. :frown:

:fyi: The law does not effectively prevent the creation of new grammar schools. Proof: in Kent a new one was made recently. It appeared in the news and it was 100% legal. :smile:

The law forbids the creation of new grammar schools. What it does not specifically forbid is the expansion of existing schools, and this is what was planned to happen in Kent (Sevenoaks, if I recall). An existing girls' grammar school, Weald of Kent, which is in Tonbridge, was seeking approval for an 'annexe' in Sevenoaks (not without controversy). No new schools can be created, but yes, I suppose it does allow scope for increasing the number of grammar school places in areas where such schools already exist.
Original post by Pwyll
The law forbids the creation of new grammar schools. What it does not specifically forbid is the expansion of existing schools, and this is what was planned to happen in Kent (Sevenoaks, if I recall). An existing girls' grammar school, Weald of Kent, which is in Tonbridge, was seeking approval for an 'annexe' in Sevenoaks (not without controversy). No new schools can be created, but yes, I suppose it does allow scope for increasing the number of grammar school places in areas where such schools already exist.

Technically, an expansion big enough can be considered as a creation of a new school. Because it has everything that a new school does but it is simply not allowed to be independent. When you marry Daniel and have kids with him make sure to send them to Kent. :biggrin:
Original post by ChickenMadness
I knew you would know I quoted you :redface:

Nah cuz you might end up learning a boring language like German :angry::angry::angry: or Welsh. Only cool languages should be learnt and you should get the option to choose which one you want to learn.

Stop right there! What do you consider to be better than German? If you dare say "French" or "Spanish" or any other romance language, you're having hell fire coming your way. :mwuaha::mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
Technically, an expansion big enough can be considered as a creation of a new school. Because it has everything that a new school does but it is simply not allowed to be independent.

Practically, perhaps - but technically, it'd be the same school, with the same management.

When you marry Daniel and have kids with him make sure to send them to Kent. :biggrin:

Now I'm confused.
Original post by Pwyll
Zugestimmt! Leider konnte ich nicht A-Level German studieren und deswegen habe ich viele Wörter meinen Wortschatz vergessen.

Speaking of which I recall many of my classmates had great difficulties getting past the case system, even in years 10 or 11. Never really understand why though, as there are far more complicated features of German grammar than simply recognising what is the subject, object, and declining the noun accordingly. Having said that, I never could remember the adjectival endings, etc.

In GCSE, they never even really touched upon the case system in my school. I've literally learnt most of my grammar so far in AS level. They never even touched upon dative and genitive articles and not anything on adjectival endings.

Did everyone else get this taught to them then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by XcitingStuart
In GCSE, they never even really touched upon the case system in my school. I've literally learnt most of my grammar so far in AS level. They never even touched upon dative and genitive articles and not anything on adjectival endings.

Did everyone else get this taught to them then?

I can't speak for everyone, but we were taught the case system starting in year 9 (of course it had to be revisited again later on). In year 10 I remember a lot of time was spent on how to decline adjectives and articles properly (i.e. 'strong', 'weak', and 'mixed' declensions). I also learned the relative pronouns in the dative and genitive (dessen, deren, denen) I haven't done the AS course so I don't know what's in the specification as regards grammar.
I would scrap grades cause they don't allow differentiation between students of similar but different levels. All exams would be graded out of a certain UMS number to allow comparisons. E.g. say every exam was out of 100 UMS, it'd be much easier to compare a student with 90 UMS to 95 UMS, whereas in the current system both could be A*s. Universities would then be able to ask for a certain UMS in exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Remove charitable funding from Faith and private Schools.

Give Academies same regulation as state schools.

Abolish compulsory subjects providing the student can demonstrate adequate numeracy and literary skills.

Change R.E to 'Mythical Studies'
Original post by Davij038
Remove charitable funding from Faith and private Schools.

Give Academies same regulation as state schools.

Abolish compulsory subjects providing the student can demonstrate adequate numeracy and literary skills.

Change R.E to 'Mythical Studies'

and interesting mix of libertarian wet dream and the sort of thing that makes Authoritarians like Labour get their panties all moist ...
Original post by zippyRN
and interesting mix of libertarian wet dream and the sort of thing that makes Authoritarians like Labour get their panties all moist ...

Whats authoritarian?
Original post by Davij038
Whats authoritarian?

removing charitable status and putting all schools back under the dead hand of LA Management ...
Original post by zippyRN
removing charitable status and putting all schools back under the dead hand of LA Management ...

I support academies.

I do not support institutions getting tax breaks because they believe in irrational mumbo jumbo. Private schools can afford to pay more tax too. The idea of Eton as a charity is laughable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending